• Total voters
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
My previous house had room for the van, present house also has but it would create difficulties so the van is in storage twelve miles away at a cost of £280 a year.
Suits me at present (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
security, keeping the batteries charged, loss of a spare room, takes longer to load for a trip, extra expence.

Plus the incidental damage that my Geist suffered.:mad:

start to think i wish i could keep it at home

That's why I moved mine from a Gold site, that and the £960 per year.

Not just a spare room but an additional oven at Christmas

Good Point

say there two simular propertys, one with extra parking for m/h one without

how much extra would you be prepared to pay

How can we advise you there, I would pay dearly for the space...40-50k, it's all relative, I've just sold a lock up Garage in Port Solent for £42,000. The same Garage in London would sell for well over £150,000

Just had a thought, you could REALLY downsize if you lived in it, then as JJ has discovered you'll save a fortune on storage costs and a fortune in property prices.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Mine is in the drive and I still have room for my car. Could get the wife's in also but she is scared to park it because it would then be quite tight but still doable. We have already purchased our "downsizing" property but won't be in there for another 10 years or so. No private drive but private on-street parking with a large area that would accommodate the Moho. It's only 2 minutes from our current house and another Moho is already parked there. Plenty room for another and not in anyone's direct line of sight so all would be well. Also, not a through road which means only used by those who live there. The convenience of having the Moho at home has become quite apparent during the short time we have had it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have to store our van on a farm about 4 miles away . It is very safe and secure but setting off is a major operation involving at least 2 trips . We usually go away for a few months at the time because of it . It would be nice to hve the odd week away from time to time but it is not worth the hassle . I would not have our MH parked outside the house even if we could so for us to move would mean buying a house with a barn to keep the MH in . We are very tempted by property in France as a second home with barn at the moment but not sure anything will come of it .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think if we couldn't store our van at home we wouldn't use it as much and probably end up getting rid of it. I suppose we are lucky we can get it on the drive & still room for 4 or 5 cars and that's after putting a shed on the back end of the drive. Doesn't effect the neighbors only light it blocks is our dining room (my office), if only we had known we would get a Motorhome when we built the double garage we would have made it a foot or two narrower so we could get the van past it.
Interestingly there is a covenant on all the properties in the road prohibiting keeping caravans on the premisses except ours, our house was built in the 60's all the others 30's - 50's & the builder that owned the road went bump 30 or more years ago and nobody knows who owns the road so the covenant is not enforced anyway.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
our solution was to really downsize.

View media item 14639
And we love it, and no problem with storage

Not extreme at all! It's bigger than our place with more parking!
We've just spent 3 grand knocking down an old garage for a new smaller one just to get our van on the drive.
It was at a cassoa site a short distance away but such a palaver to use.
We used to park on a bit of farmland before the storage site but no one would insure us.
Better at home, also where we are is a bit unusual in that the parking & rear of the houses cannot be seen from the road.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Since we've moved house we are now lucky enough to be able to both although we're certainly going to keep up the secure storage. As far as I can see after 3 months of home storage there are some distinct advantages.
For us the most important one has been easier cleaning and general maintenance coupled with the knowledge that hookup at home ensures battery condition. Also preparation for holiday is easier, our storage site has no fresh water supply but being at home means we can start the break with sufficient water for 1st night anywhere. Oh, and we can get the fridge nice and cold on ehu.
As soon as I read the house description and saw the previous owners Benimar parked up I knew this was the house for us!
IMG_0234.jpg

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
If we worried about getting burgled all the time we wouldn't go anywhere, ours is on the drive and if i never had the drive i probably wouldn't have a motorhome. Oh hold on a minute i don't have one at present,:LOL:. New one on its way . Ive got alarm system, cctv and nosey neighbours. Great to have it here so as i can keep my eye on it and free to do whatever i want when ever i want without having to take a drive out somewhere and pay them not to take such good care with it.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
For us poor folk who live in terraced houses outside of dark satanic mill towns we don't have the option of home storage. The owner of our storage yard has all tenants in absolute fear. We all know that the security camera is watching you and if you disobey any rule there will be a follow up phone call and threat of expulsion. Having said that - it does work, I do feel safe.

Mind you, I wish the two folk who park next to me would park in the middle of their spots and not right up against the edge. One of them even has patio slabs next to his habitation door.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Some Fridays I drive home from work in my sprinter camper. Then get straight of in our Burstner on quick little jolly can't do that with it in storage. I get 6mtr sprinter and 8.3 mtr down side of bungalow and still room for 2/3 cars in only a little 2 bed bungalow.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We have no space or level parking for it in the road, and although we can just about fit it diagonally onto the garden it blocks the light into our lounge and isn't much fun for the neighbour to look at from his lounge, so it's in secure storage behind two metal gates with CCTV cover only 10 minutes' drive from home. We have 24/7 access to it.

Disadvantages are battery charging Dec-Feb when the solar panel isn't enough, travelling to/from the storage site in a car, not being able to just leap in the MH and go somewhere, and the extra cost.

Advantages are we can use the drive for our car which is regularly loaded and reloaded, the lounge is lighter during the day, it's not an eyesore for the neighbours, and it's much safer from theft in storage.
Are you at Puddington?

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We keep ours at home, I wouldn't want it in storage. Like to have it handy for packing up, cleaning, doing work on it etc. But we do have plenty of room.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As above. Ensure the garage ,pàrking etc ; is adequate for all needs & worry about house after. You can always sleep on the floor.(y)

Or in the motorhome

I also mentioned it in passing to a legal eagle friend of mine about the covenant and he said it was one of the costliest procedures in UK law to enforce especially when you advise that you use the MH as a vehicle to commute to work in.

As I work at home I commute from the front door to the motorhome :) does that count?

We live on the first floor, motorhome is at the end the drive (which goes across the front of the house) on the turn into the garage and positioned so we can still get the car in and out of the garage. Luckily there are no neighbours that can see the motorhome from their windows and as there is a slight "hump" between our garage and the road it isn't obvious from the road either. Opening the bedroom blind in the morning the first thing you see is the motorhome and it makes me smile. Great start to the day :)

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
We have a restrictive covenant so can't keep the van at home ( no motorhomes , caravans or commercial liveried vehicles ) Shame as there is LOADS of room but the rules are the rules.
Where I live the covenants are adhered to and have in the past been pursued vigorously when a breach has been planned or commenced.
We live in an idyll and wish to keep it that way.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We used to keep ours at home and the trailer at work until I retired and then there wasn't room for both at home so the motorhome went to a Cassoa storage site and the trailer is on the drive. Insurance was no different but because we live on a main road it was easily noticed by all and sundry when we were away so that was a bonus. As for keeping it clean it is far better in storage as our house has several trees which give off copious amount of sap which is a bu**er to get off. The site is about 6 miles away which I don't find too inconvenient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back