Panel questions

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by injebreck99, Jul 8, 2013.

1. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

I have a Bolero 600EK which I am thinking of putting a solar panel on, my local independant caravan repairer who does all my habitation servicing says I only need a 30w panel at most for my needs, he quoted me nearly £800 just for a (framed) 100w panel alone, no other parts or fitting, needless to say I declined that option, am I getting confused here, (nothing new), he said he has not fitted any panels over 30w, and doubted I would need anything bigger. Is there any difference betwween framed and unframed panels, I have read up on this forum and was of the opinion that 80w was the minimum requirement, HELP !!!.

2. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

As a casual observer, that seems a heck of a lot of cash, are they really that expensive? WOW!

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you're going to do it at all, I would suggest 80W is the minimum worth bothering with and 100W+ is not much more expensive.
    The price quoted is way over the top. I had a 135W Kyocera panel plus Schaudt Solar Regulator fitted in May 2011 for just over £600 and that was towards the top of many prices offered at the time. Panel prices have fallen significantly since then, although the EU has just imposed an anti-dumping tariff on Chinese panels that will have curbed the cheapest offers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

As a starter go for an 80w, most common used and supplied..

Panel - £80
    Regulator £20
    Ali to make brackets £12
    Sikaflex sealant £10
    Roof entry box £10
    Bit of 4mm wire if needed plus a fuse line £10 -£15

Easy enough to do DIY if you can use a sealent gun, use a drill and connect a few wires together... Or even if you get a professional caravan / motorhome mobile technician to fit it then the one's I have asked all seem to quote £100....
    Thats a hell of a lot cheaper and more for your money..

Here is a link to a guy on ebay myself and several friends have used over the past few years..
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80-watt-s...51063055023?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item232c0f4aaf

Read the threads on here, lots of info on it..:thumb:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

imo your regular independent caravan bod needs questioning about his judgement (only need 30 watt panel) and his charges (outrageous).

Check out Funsters Ash or CLS...

JJ :Cool:

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

in theory a 30watt panel will provide 3.3amps but in reality, it will struggle to produce a couple of amps at mid day in full, uninterrupted sunlight.

2 amps is nothing...a 20watt spotlight bulb will almost use that much each hour.

Makes me wonder though....If your man charges that much to supply and fit a 30w panel (around £40 on eBay), how much over the odds are you being charged for servicing and repairs ?

• Like Like x 2
  7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

for 800quid i would want all my panes fitted these days . 6x80w regulators and cables ,thats a real rip off .makes you wonder at his other work and pricing.

hey papa where do get that working out fom .bp give 2.3 amps max on a 40w panel. got a list here some of mine are bp panels .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I would find a new dealer... 30W will barely give you 2 A/H.. on a good summers day... It will barely keep your batteries topped up in winter.
    I guess he has not fitted panels over 30W because of the rip off price he is charging....!:Doh:

A new 80W panel can be had on eBay for about £80, combined with a full fitting kit and regulator for about £130....
    If you are not into DIY, there are reputable traders here on FUN who will supply and fit an 80W panel including charge regulator, and you will easily get change from £400.

So for £800 you could have 3 or 4 panels fitted, with a good charge regulator, a NASA BM1 battery monitor and an additional leisure battery.... and still have lots of change....(and charge)........:thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=80w+solar+panel&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.X80w+solar+panel+kit.TRS0&_nkw=80w+solar+panel+kit&_sacat=0

• Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Looking at this thread and knowing nowt about solar panels, is someone getting their watts and amps mixed up here, maybe the op or his dealer or talking different things as the price difference is so marked

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Is he on drugs or wot, I paid about that to have 2 x 120 watts fitted, a lot yes but with rarely being on EHU, and Mifi, 2 x Ipads, mobile & ecigs to charge ect.. we need it, 30 watts is just too little for anything needs to be a min of 80w

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I doubt it....

30 amps would need 360 watts of solar if it was 100% efficient...which it isn't.

I reckon around 500 watt of panel might see 30 amps in very good Sun.

12. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

In view of all the confusion, (mine), I have decided to leave the solar panel installation until I can do more research, so I'm having the M/H remapped tomorrow instead..! :thumb:

13. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

yeh have it re mapped to avoid that dealer certainly .:Eeek: stan

• Like Like x 2