Panel Connection Advice

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by jac-in-a-box, Jul 6, 2015.

1. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

All my bits and pieces are here and I now have time to crack on albeit I'll not get it all done in a day...'tis forecast foe rain in the morning

I've got two 150w panels ready to mount and it shouldn't be difficult to get the cables through the roof and up to the controller. While I don't believe I need them, I've got a fuse block fitted just before the controller ( that is, between panels and controller)
    If I leave the fuses out and connect the cables between panels and controller, do I need to leave the panels covered, if uncovered will I do damage? My thinking is that the fuses will act as a switch...and my temporary cardboard cover ain't going to last too long in this weather!

As always, your advice is appreciated :)

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

The voltage between panel and controller can be between 17volts and 24volts......a 12v fuse wont last long.
    place the fuse as close to the battery as possible instead.

To work on the wiring simply wrap some insulation tape around the open ends of each panel wire, removing only to make final connection....one at a time.

As long as the bare wires dont touch no damage will happen to the panels...covered or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Not true - voltage is irrelevant to a fuse. Just fuse slightly above the panels rated output in Amps. Your solution is fine - just connect the controller to the battery before you put the panel fuse(s) in. Shorting the panel output, although inadvisable because of likely sparks, will not damage the panel. Using your method this won't happen anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

sorry John a fuse is current not voltage rated, oops Tony beat me to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jac-in-a-box

Thank you all for the replies...pappajohn you threw me with the voltage related fuse's; caused a few head-scratching moments!

Good to know I'm on the right track for the first step, appreciated:)

If I can pick your brains again please. Once I get the whole thing cabled up (there will be fuses at leisure batt's) would the correct "switching on" sequence be:
    *Fit fuses between leisure batt's and controller
    *Fit fuses between panels and controllers - my "switch"

In the event the sun is shining, is it advisable to cover panels before inserting fuses between panels and controller...just thinking the panels will be be producing power and want to avoid any little accidents!

6. jac-in-a-box

Should've read response's more carefully regarding the fusing up sequence...Tony's reply answered my last question, thanks!