Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
Hi All
In the process of planning our trip to Portugal, arriving in Calais Friday 10/7/2015 and heading straight for the Spanish border where we will slow to a more leisurely pace for the rest of our trip towards Portugal .. BUT ..

just noticed the Bull Run in Pamploma http://www.bullrunpamplona.com is on until the 14th .. anyone been ? guess parking locally might be a problem and i know it only lasts 5mins or so but it is something we would like to see (not participate :D) whats your thoughts ??

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've not been to Pamplona, but if you're anywhere near the French/Spanish border in the last week of July there's a similar (but potentially less lethal) event at the Basque Fete de Bayonne, called the Courses des Vaches. Here's a video what I put together of it in 2010:

Don't go to either event if you don't like seeing people carried off on stretchers - it happens.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Remember that the population swells by around half a million. It is packed.
The 6th is the opening ceremony. 7th first run.
The Bulls get progressively fiercer each day & so far more dangerous, until the last day they are the fearsome, unpredictable & highly adept Miura fighting bulls.:eek:
Here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miura_bull
This is a good site for what happens dayby day .
http://www.sanfermin.com/index.php/en/programa-sanfermin/programa-2015
Click on date , bottom left to change.

It is also shown live, daily , with full studio team & guests ( just like the run up to a football or rugby match ) starting about an hour before & continuing until about 20 minutes after with a complete list of casualties & prognosis direct from the hospitals. !! :LOL: I usually try to watch it on tv ,always good start to the morning (y):LOL:

Sorry meant to say it is shown live on La 1 ( RTE 1 ) main Spanish tv channel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adrian & Alison

Adrian & Alison

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 2.1
Exp
5ys in Europe
i know its not going to be pretty... and now am not sure it was our best 1st post !! .. but as we are passing so close thought it was something that should be experienced .. Guess we will get as close as possible and then proceed on our bikes after an early start ..

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm not on the side of the bulls.. But I still cheer at the same time as JJ

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am on the side of the bulls.

I am glad everytime they get their horns into anyone...

A disgusting, pathetic and cruel "tradition".

JJ :cool:

Well said JJ, I would simply add a personal wish that those who the bulls do get their horns into are terrified, hurt badly, given no help or assistance and spend many years contemplating their moronic attempt to show how "Matcho"they are.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i know its not going to be pretty... and now am not sure it was our best 1st post !! .. but as we are passing so close thought it was something that should be experienced .. Guess we will get as close as possible and then proceed on our bikes after an early start ..

You raised the subject so no doubt expect some replies that take an opposite view. You say you think this is something you should experience and want to get as close as possible even though you know it won't be pretty. Why?

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I was taken to the bull run as a child and the bull fight afterwards. We arrived there early morning back in the 1950's and the 'would be' bull-fighters were sleeping off the night before in nearby ruins in their regalia and walking with my grandparents in the early morning silence of sun and shadows makes that part of the day a wonderful memory.
And later we had breakfast in the square of spanish bread and jam with wonderful coffee. There were lots of people even then so I expect nowadays it would be uncomfortable crowded.

I have to say I felt sorry for the bulls and the horses as well and that part of the day is not such a good memory.

At the bullfight later the bulls didn't have a chance, each bull is killed by a sword thrust but not before the mounted Picadors have cut the muscles in its shoulder by stabbing it repeatedley with a lance to make its head low, their horses being badly pushed and sometimes gored in the process, and of course the gaily coloured streamers on the bulls shoulders are plunged in on barbs. I know its a tradition...... but......

BBroken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes ,I'm on the bulls side.
I do take comfort from the fact that these bulls , along with all bred for bullfighting , have a far longer life than they would have if bred for food. 4 years against not much over 12 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back