Painting A Tow Bar - Help / Info

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by tonka, Jun 12, 2015.

1. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My plastic covered (PWS) towbar has grounded a few times and was in tatty condition..
    Removed from van, plastic all cut off and I have cleaned up the bar..

Cheapskate that I am :) Tin of Hammerite white paint, paint brush and gave it a couple of coats..

RESULT.... It's ok but streaky and obviously a "hand job".

SO,,, Whats my next option ?? Do I use some fine sand paper or what's this "wet and dry" stuff...
    Body repair not my speciality..... Urgent job as I need this back on for Monday so I can bring my bike to Stratford.. Got B&Q, car spares shop, Halfords and a Screwfix all on door step for any supplies...

Awaiting Funster advise..

2. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Spray with Matt black body paint' resistant to mechanical damage, that has epoxy resin or rust inhibitors then polish up if needed

3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well if it's got a couple of coats of "hand job" it's obviously protected so now you just want the bits you can see to be nice, "wet and dry" is as it suggest a sandpaper that can be used wet or dry but wet will stop in clogging even better with a bit of fairy in the water, give the streaky bits you see a rub over with 400 grade on a soft block and then spray with a can of white Hammerite.

Martin

4. tonka

Thanks... 400 grade - fairy liquid... See that's the bit's of info I need. :)

5. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

You've obviously used the hammerite "smooth" as if you'd used the original it dries as a "hammered" finish , hence the name, & doesn't show brush marks.Thinking about it the smooth shouldn't either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tonka

I hovered for 10 mins looking at smooth / hammer finish and went with smooth..
    We use hammerite on our garden gates etc and although it does go on a bit rough, when dry shows no marks..
    Maybe I got a duff tin :( even bought new brushes..

Well it's back on the van now as forecast heavy rain later.. I will get some wet and dry as mentioned by Funflair and give it a try after Stratford...

7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

When a tugger used hammered finish on towbar bracket \ backplate \ etc and it looked excellent. Bit like a glossy resin coated finish. no brush marks, etc.

8. musson

musson Funster

try spray hammerite or rustolin spray paint comes in all colurs

9. buckby

buckby

I have just done mine sanded down to bare metal and used white smooth hammerite with a small foam gloss roller it is a slightly stippled finish but looks excellent if you use some 120 grade paper on a orbital sander to get rid of the streaks and get the finish smoth then over paint with the gloss roller it should look good hope this helps

10. tonka

Cheers everyone... Gonna have a go when back from Stratford, it's back on the van and looks ok from a distance but will try to improve it when i get home...

11. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

my paint job on the tow bar is the same .

i think it is because the bar is bare metal and the Smoothrite dose not have any rust / rough surface to stick to
    Look on the bright side it will go rusty again, then you will have a surface for the paint to stick to ..:coolest: