Paint for plastic (1 Viewer)

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anyone successfully painted the internal plastic door liners, my Hymer door liners are yellowing. I have cleaned them but I would like to paint them white again. Any suggestions, I would prefer to brush paint but I could spray them at a push.I just need to know what brand plastics paint works.

Thanks.
Mike

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
So are mine (yellowing). My advice would be to leave them alone. I think there is a high probability of a paint job looking like a bodge and unless you paint every bit of white plastic inside the van, the door will stick out like a sore thumb. The other sections I am thinking of are the pull-down bed under-tray and the door edging strips. Then there is the shower room which is also likely to yellow.
I have resolved to live with it.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I think that the yellowing is a Hymer characteristic, no idea why..

I do agree that it's best left alone though.

Scan through the classified ads, so many attempted 'improvements', they rarely look good !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikekaren2
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Plastic paint

That's what I want to avoid a bodge job, unless someone has successfully repainted plastic I will live with it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You can use almost any paint by adding a plastisizer to it..

We use two pack and acrylic

If you google acrylic plastizer you should find what you need :thumb:

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
Have a look at Zinnser BIN and 123. They will stick to anything, can be left as a finish or over coated.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Not cream cleaner, but plastic colour restorer as used on cars may do the trick. Alternatively baking soda mixed with water to a paste and gently rubbed on may restore the colour.

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Yellowing of plastic is usually caused by UV light (sun). The plastic is breaking down.
It is easily protected against by the manufacturer by using decent UV inhibitors in the plastic. Not doing so would save them a couple of cents per part, so there is no real excuse.

Whether it can be painted easily, or not, really depends on what type of plastic it is.
Polyethylene and Polypropylene and both nearly impossible for DIYers to do well. Paints will just fall off. They can be treated professionally, but that is unlikely to be an economic proposition.

Some other plastics are easier to handle. PVC and ABS can be painted readily, but you must know what the plastic is before you start and select an appropriate paint.

Cheers,
Peter

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Painting plastic is easy go to your local spray paint shop and get a tin of plastic primer which you spray on first then spray with ordinary spray paint

I've colour coded the mirrors the door handles and all my exterior vents to the white of the van ......

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have a search on YouTube - lots of info (some good some not so good) but you might spot something worth trying before going down the painting route.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Painting plastic is easy go to your local spray paint shop and get a tin of plastic primer which you spray on first then spray with ordinary spray paint

I've colour coded the mirrors the door handles and all my exterior vents to the white of the van ......

id be a bit more cautious than that... some plastic paints well,,, car bumper and nowadays without any primer etc just straight out aerosol.. but agree with with peter, depends on the plastic..

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
id be a bit more cautious than that... some plastic paints well,,, car bumper and nowadays without any primer etc just straight out aerosol.. but agree with with peter, depends on the plastic..
Well I've been doing it around 24 years now :) 6 show winning vw campers

And the stuff I've done has always worked out fine :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well I've been doing it around 24 years now :) 6 show winning vw campers

And the stuff I've done has always worked out fine :)

good on you ive had a few disasters with some plastics even with the plasticizers and plastic primers....
hey I just took first place in the camper category at transitmania... not in the same league as you but black plastic trim and other colour coordinated plastic bits including my sat dome (which on best advice shouldn't be painted but seems to work just the same ..
ta andy .ps the van has been changed since avatar photo

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Have a look at Zinnser BIN and 123. They will stick to anything, can be left as a finish or over coated.

Highly recommended, I've used it before, dries in 7mins, you can paint it over literally anything, and put anything over it. Make sure the can has been properly stirred
This is the can with the red markings not the blue! Red is spirit based, blue is water based and crap.
Word of warning tho be well ventilated, I used it a lot and used to have a large fan pointing out the door blowing the fumes out.
Another tip, on the top coat, (over the Zinnsser BIN 123) use a small sponge roller, it'll give you a finish similar to a spray gun

TheDeckKing

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Hyde, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Voyager 2 coachbui
Exp
This is the can with the red markings not the blue! Red is spirit based, blue is water based and crap.

The red BIN is shellac based. With the price of shellac going through the roof Zinnser has spent a lot of money improving the 123 and you can also get a 123 plus. These now stick to more surfaces than the BIN. I know it seems counterintuitive but I'd recommend the water based 123 for plastic with a decent quick dry eggshell over the top.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
good on you ive had a few disasters with some plastics even with the plasticizers and plastic primers....
hey I just took first place in the camper category at transitmania... not in the same league as you but black plastic trim and other colour coordinated plastic bits including my sat dome (which on best advice shouldn't be painted but seems to work just the same ..
ta andy .ps the van has been changed since avatar photo
Yeah I kinda got carried away with mine over the years , lost count how many thousands I spent ....i sold my split screen camper in 1998 and bought my first flat outright with the money lol.

I then moved on to t25 and finally t4s and towed caravans .....then tired of the stress bought a motorhome ....just can't lose the modifying streak though :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Yeah I kinda got carried away with mine over the years , lost count how many thousands I spent ....i sold my split screen camper in 1998 and bought my first flat outright with the money lol.

I then moved on to t25 and finally t4s and towed caravans .....then tired of the stress bought a motorhome ....just can't lose the modifying streak though :)

you liked your vw then.. done a little work on the early engines for a mate once, best I can remember never quite stopped the oil leaks though lol

on the cost front id be embarrassed to say what I spent putting the transit (a pill to convert anyway) together, certainly couldn't get my money back selling it as its a bit of a one off to suit my needs...
you a mechanic by any chance??
ta andy

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
you liked your vw then.. done a little work on the early engines for a mate once, best I can remember never quite stopped the oil leaks though lol

on the cost front id be embarrassed to say what I spent putting the transit (a pill to convert anyway) together, certainly couldn't get my money back selling it as its a bit of a one off to suit my needs...
you a mechanic by any chance??
ta andy
I was i did it for around 8 years then fancied a change , did welding for a while then powder coating , metal fabricating and then moved on to factory work im now a charge hand for a shopfitters :)

Means I can turn my hand to most things these days thankfully

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The red BIN is shellac based. With the price of shellac going through the roof Zinnser has spent a lot of money improving the 123 and you can also get a 123 plus. These now stick to more surfaces than the BIN. I know it seems counterintuitive but I'd recommend the water based 123 for plastic with a decent quick dry eggshell over the top.

And how do they "melt" shellac? With Water? or With a spirit?

I have used the red to cover everything, from Water stains, Lipstick, Marker Pens, plastic, water stains, varnish, acrylic paints, the old style distemper, even bare timber.
The blue even tho it is recommended for Bathrooms, I've seen it peel within months, especially if the users use the shower without ventilation,

In the ten years I spent repairing everything from Smoke damage to storm damage,water penetration, graffitti I have never seen the red fail, however I have seen the blue fail countless times. People use the blue because it is water based, easy to wash the brushes rollers, unless you have Meths when using the red you might as well as throw the brush away
Two plastic painted surfaces that touch, (door on jamb for instance) stick together, when you open them one part pulls the other off

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back