Painkillers For Dogs

Discussion in 'Pets' started by irnbru, Jun 12, 2015.

1. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

My dog is just back from a 5 mile walk, started limping on the way back. I think the walk has been too much for the old boy as I cant see anything wrong with his paw. Hes licking his leg, the one thats got athritis. By the time I get to vet it will be closed.

Is it safe to give a dog a half a paracetomol or something.
    Anyone on here thats a vet and can say for sure. I dont want to harm my dog.

2. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi in rural
    Give him half an ibuprofen,

• Like Like x 2
  3. rb62

rb62 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. laird of Dunstan

There is a story to the ibuprofen, my old labrador who was so stiff at his back end could not walk up the stairs in our house one morning he came into our bedroom ,it was quite a surprise we could not work out why ,until a few days later we found an empty box of ibuprofen tablets he had scoffed the lot,it must have knocked 5 years off of him ,the effect lasted quite some time and I used to give him an ibuprofen on the odd occasion and it would perk him up. I would not give it to a dog on a regular basis ,I give my little schnauzer half a tablet a week and she is much more mobile than the stuff the vet gives us

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Hi Sandra - just googled it - most of the articles say NO!

• Like Like x 2
  6. laird of Dunstan

I bet they were all written by vets:) the stuff that the vet gave me for my schnauzer also had a warning

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I know for a fact that you can use tramadol. but be careful with paracetamol as the dosage has to be very low to avoid toxicity

8. irnbru

You are probably right on tbe vets writing it @laird of Dunstan but Im not going to risk it. He will just have to wait til morning for the vets. Hes gone to sleep now so hopefully its not too painful now that hes not walking .
    Thanks folks.

9. irnbru

Do you know Tramadol is now a controlled drug. Too many junkies using it I expect.

10. TheBig1

yes I know, as been on it for years. I had a couple of packs out of date that I passed onto a friend for their dog. she was on 50mg twice daily and the vets charge a fortune for exactly the same drug

• Like Like x 1
  11. irnbru

Does the vet give it out under another name so I dont buy it tomorrow as I have OOD tramadol too.

12. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Your vet may well give you Metacam. It's prescription only, I believe. We've had it for arthritic dogs, in the past.
    As others have said, stay away from 'human' drugs - particularly paracetamol.
    Hope he's feeling better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheBig1

yes exactly the same. my friend showed me the last box with vets sticker on. peeled the sticker and confirmed the blister strips are marked tramadol 50mg too. she was paying £90+ per month

• Like Like x 1
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

If it's arthritis, I'd suggest a warm compress or hot water bottle to soothe the immediate pain. Long term, pedigree joint sticks worked very well for our Lab, who suffered terribly with arthritis. They aren't cheap, but the effect is almost immediate, they contain glucosamine (spelling?)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Metacam - that's what our Romy has for the odd occasions when she's done too much and it really DOES work ... we got a prescription from the vet and bought it on-line - a LOT cheaper and that was including the cost of the prescription!

• Like Like x 3
  16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My experience too - about 1/3 of the price from the vet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

In reverse, my Dad [rip] being a vet could write prescriptions for "animal use only" medications which were exactly the same as normal 'human' prescriptions.

18. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

A retired vet I met at a campsite recommended ibuprofen for my lab who had a gammy leg. He warned me off giving paracetamol but didn't say why. Prior to that I'd been using metacam prescribed by our own vet but purchased from Ireland as it was so much cheaper. However, the ibuprofen worked better so changed to that in the end and saved a fortune.

By the by, the dog had a steroid prescribed by our vet which cost an arm and a leg. Bought some from Ireland and they cost me a penny per pill. When they arrived I noticed these had the same name as what I had been using (prednisone (sp?)) from the doctor - which would have been cheaper than the NHS prescription cost :)

19. big bertha

big bertha Funster

My lab is on Metacalm, Milk Thistle to counteract any ill effects of Metacalm, fish oil, glucousamine, Devil's claw or Green Lipped Mussel, she rattles along.

20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi Sandra,

Years ago, (80s)we had a beautiful Red Setter who one evening couldn't settle, and was crying out in pain.
    He appeared to have hurt one of his rear legs, and wouldn't let Rita nor I look at it.
    A call to the night vet advised us to administer a child's dose of asprin, or if no asprin, half a paracetamol tablet. This did the trick, and I took him to the vet in the morning.

Rita works in a Pharmacy, and when our ageing wee Bichon was on expensive meds from the vet, her boss was able to identify the exact same medication, at vastly reduced costs to us.

Good luck,

Jock. :)