LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
My dog is just back from a 5 mile walk, started limping on the way back. I think the walk has been too much for the old boy as I cant see anything wrong with his paw. Hes licking his leg, the one thats got athritis. By the time I get to vet it will be closed.

Is it safe to give a dog a half a paracetomol or something.
Anyone on here thats a vet and can say for sure. I dont want to harm my dog.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Best to get dog specific ,they can get bad reactions from human
drugs.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
There is a story to the ibuprofen, my old labrador who was so stiff at his back end could not walk up the stairs in our house one morning he came into our bedroom ,it was quite a surprise we could not work out why ,until a few days later we found an empty box of ibuprofen tablets he had scoffed the lot,it must have knocked 5 years off of him ,the effect lasted quite some time and I used to give him an ibuprofen on the odd occasion and it would perk him up. I would not give it to a dog on a regular basis ,I give my little schnauzer half a tablet a week and she is much more mobile than the stuff the vet gives us

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know for a fact that you can use tramadol. but be careful with paracetamol as the dosage has to be very low to avoid toxicity

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You are probably right on tbe vets writing it @laird of Dunstan but Im not going to risk it. He will just have to wait til morning for the vets. Hes gone to sleep now so hopefully its not too painful now that hes not walking .
Thanks folks.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know for a fact that you can use tramadol. but be careful with paracetamol as the dosage has to be very low to avoid toxicity
Do you know Tramadol is now a controlled drug. Too many junkies using it I expect.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do you know Tramadol is now a controlled drug. Too many junkies using it I expect.
yes I know, as been on it for years. I had a couple of packs out of date that I passed onto a friend for their dog. she was on 50mg twice daily and the vets charge a fortune for exactly the same drug

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Does the vet give it out under another name so I dont buy it tomorrow as I have OOD tramadol too.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Your vet may well give you Metacam. It's prescription only, I believe. We've had it for arthritic dogs, in the past.
As others have said, stay away from 'human' drugs - particularly paracetamol.
Hope he's feeling better soon.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Does the vet give it out under another name so I dont buy it tomorrow as I have OOD tramadol too.
yes exactly the same. my friend showed me the last box with vets sticker on. peeled the sticker and confirmed the blister strips are marked tramadol 50mg too. she was paying £90+ per month

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If it's arthritis, I'd suggest a warm compress or hot water bottle to soothe the immediate pain. Long term, pedigree joint sticks worked very well for our Lab, who suffered terribly with arthritis. They aren't cheap, but the effect is almost immediate, they contain glucosamine (spelling?)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Metacam - that's what our Romy has for the odd occasions when she's done too much and it really DOES work ... we got a prescription from the vet and bought it on-line - a LOT cheaper and that was including the cost of the prescription!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Metacam - that's what our Romy has for the odd occasions when she's done too much and it really DOES work ... we got a prescription from the vet and bought it on-line - a LOT cheaper and that was including the cost of the prescription!
My experience too - about 1/3 of the price from the vet.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In reverse, my Dad [rip] being a vet could write prescriptions for "animal use only" medications which were exactly the same as normal 'human' prescriptions.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
A retired vet I met at a campsite recommended ibuprofen for my lab who had a gammy leg. He warned me off giving paracetamol but didn't say why. Prior to that I'd been using metacam prescribed by our own vet but purchased from Ireland as it was so much cheaper. However, the ibuprofen worked better so changed to that in the end and saved a fortune.

By the by, the dog had a steroid prescribed by our vet which cost an arm and a leg. Bought some from Ireland and they cost me a penny per pill. When they arrived I noticed these had the same name as what I had been using (prednisone (sp?)) from the doctor - which would have been cheaper than the NHS prescription cost :)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
My lab is on Metacalm, Milk Thistle to counteract any ill effects of Metacalm, fish oil, glucousamine, Devil's claw or Green Lipped Mussel, she rattles along.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Sandra,

Years ago, (80s)we had a beautiful Red Setter who one evening couldn't settle, and was crying out in pain.
He appeared to have hurt one of his rear legs, and wouldn't let Rita nor I look at it.
A call to the night vet advised us to administer a child's dose of asprin, or if no asprin, half a paracetamol tablet. This did the trick, and I took him to the vet in the morning.

Rita works in a Pharmacy, and when our ageing wee Bichon was on expensive meds from the vet, her boss was able to identify the exact same medication, at vastly reduced costs to us.

Good luck,

Jock. :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We were given (sold) Lactulose for our constipated old cat at the vets a few years ago, expensive. It was exactly the same as the human variety and after that we used to get it off a neighbour who had a surplus.

amentalcat

Free Member
May 3, 2015
Herts, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
I'm a newbie
Paracetamol contains the active ingredient acetaminophen, and can be toxic for dogs if administered in larger doses, although it can and has been used for many years under veterinary guidance (It can be fatal to cats!). Apart from the painkilling abilities, one of the effects of human ibuprofen in dogs is to stop complex molecules such as prostaglandin being produced. These Prostaglandins help to protect some of the dogs internal organs especially the kidneys and stomach so a lower dosage could potentially be harmfull - (most of the issue with 'human' ibuprofen is trying to get the dosage correct).

Sallysausage

Free Member
Jun 6, 2014
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
Euro mobile
Exp
Having shown,bred and judged dogs some years ago and having upto 30 dogs at one time,I used different vets for different breeds and complications.As stated a lot of the drugs issued by vets are the same as ours in lower dosages,including creams and ointments for eyes,antibiotics and pain killers.Just the same as humans however are side effects,each individual reacts to drugs in different ways.i have found paracetamol,tramadol etc to be safe on my dogs if given the correct dosage for their weight etc but have also been aware of any adverse reaction.I always save broad based antibiotics such as amoxicillin as these are the same just different mg.As for arthritis,I would also look at diet and include extra fish oils and natural remedies.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
My dog is just back from a 5 mile walk, started limping on the way back. I think the walk has been too much for the old boy as I cant see anything wrong with his paw. Hes licking his leg, the one thats got athritis. By the time I get to vet it will be closed.

This , may seem quite strange, but it was on supervet....

Give the pads on the paw a scrub with toothpaste, and see if hes got a corn...has to be toothpaste, supervet chap said its the only thing that shows them up quickly

Btw ref painkillers, weve got a dodery old westie, and a lunatic terrier cross with gammy hips, both under 11kg in weight and vet suggests a childs dose of either paracetamol or aspirin once a day when either of them have problems, but only for a few days.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This won't work imediately but I gave Susie our yorkie omega 3 for her arthritis when she was alive and within 2 months she was walking normally. I started using it myself after seeing that and it had also helped my arthritis in my hip.
oh and I saw that programme on supervet and was amazed , it works! !

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We all take omega 3 capsules . We have done for about 19 years now. It's good for the brain as well as joints.
We did the same with Ruby, our border, for a few years before we put her to sleep at nearly 17.
Buster chews his paws regularly. He doesn't limp, but regularly has a proper good old lick and chew. He loves it if you hold his back paw so he can get right in between his pads !
I think he's cleaning more than anything. I walk him up a Gritty track where there's lots of horse traffic.
If you find your dog does have corns, they are a bugger to get rid of. And you have to , or they can make your dog lame.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We had a girl who used to look after our horses ,she also worked for the local vet.She told me she spent most of her time going backwards and forwards to the local chemist with prescriptions then transferring the medication into there containers. Surprise Surprise lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back