Packing Fruit/Veg For France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Jun 28, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I know we will be shopping shortly after arrival but I like to travel with a few days food in reserve.

Are there any restrictions on taking fresh produce like salad, veggies and fruit over on the ferry? I did a google search but didn't turn up anything very useful.

2. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

No restrictions...BUT......There are shops and supermarkets in France, the quality is generally better too !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Look for the markets as well, don't know which day you are going but we usually start off at bourborg market , it's on a Tuesday about twenty miles from Calais but there are loads everywhere every day just look up French markets on google:thumb:

4. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

Thank you.

As this is is our first ever trip outside the UK in the Motorhome I feel more comfortable having a few days of supply with us while we find our feet, so to speak!

I am in dead looking forward to the opportunity to get some nice fresh French produce :)

5. chaser

chaser Funster

If you go on the tunnel , you are right outside cite Europe, you can drive in straight off the train , first right turn, there is a carrefour super market in there that carries everything you could ever need:thumb:

6. chaser

chaser Funster

You can even park up for the night right outside it:thumb:

7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hit the markets as soon as you can. Beautiful bread, cheeses-- never buy goats cheese in a supermarket, the handmade stuff in the markets is fantastic and so cheap.

I'd take some tinned/frozen stuff for first few days and there are no restrictions at all.

Do take tea bags. And English biscuits.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

The open air french markets are great, loads of stalls with fresh produce. Go to one and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Also that the supermarkets are closed on Sundays in most French towns and in the smaller towns some even close for lunch :Doh::Doh:, we have seen restaurants and cafes do this too lolol
    Mc D's for free wifi

Have a great trip, :thumb:

John n Kath

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes, it is very nice produce but don't expect it to be cheaper.. it's not.

meat of all varieties, beef, chicken, pork, lamp.. is expensive..

If you like a bacon butty, or a breakfast fry .. take bacon.. you won't find it easily.. if you do it will be expensive.

Cheese.. expensive.. especially the hard cheeses.

Breakfast cereals .. expensive and in small boxes.

If you have a freezer and you like a barbie.. stock up with sausages and meat.

Bread.. buy fresh twice a day from the Le Boulanger.

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

All good advice but have found cheese has gone cheaper than it was and you can find bacon in the freezer at some supermarkets now

12. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

We found normal semi skimmed milk costs more in France. Wondered why as it's a huge agricultural grower, far more fields etc then the uk.

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We never take any fresh fruit/veg to France. We have always found theirs much better, and at the moment, with the favourable exchange rate, not more expensive.

The only things we always take are tea,bacon, and a lump of mousetrap cheddar for cooking. French cheeses are wonderful but they don't do a good one for cooking with, nearest seems to be Emmental which is a bit mild and strings.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Try comte for cooking if you want a hard cheese. For me the whole point of going to France is not to have the same stuff as we have in England (apart from the tea bags)

David

15. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

I think on your first trip it is sensible to take a few days supplies with you. We also take the things we can't get there - like particular tea bags, baked beans, corned beef. Having said that, on our recent trip, I hardly bothered with any of the things I took. Oh, I always take packs of minced beef in the freezer and cheddar cheese for cooking. I disagree about all meat being expensive. All the supermarkets seem to have containers specifically for offers and chicken and pork in particular can be bought for similar prices as at home. Look for seasonal items. We tend to use Super U as we find their prices more reasonable than, e.g. LeClerc. And of course there are always Lidls and Aldis.