Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Kirkby mallory
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi all, now before you all call me a grumpy old man,I feel I would like to tell you a story about my very short trip to Austria a few weeks ago, I booked and payed for my ferry tickets in april £112 return Calais Dover( CC ) for July, set off drove all the way down to Austria, three days , got phone call from home "Grandma has fallen down steps, can you come home? Drive back to Calais none stop, ask to get on very empty ferry, tell them why one week early, charged £60 to get back to UK.Grand ma ok, but I do feel that the charge that P&O levied was disproportionate to the initial cost and in view of the circumstances unreasonable .I contactact them and was told that this was their policy and they wouldnt make exceptions.
Think I might try another ferry operater or am I over reacting? I dont mind paying a reasonable amount for a change but £60 ...:cry: After all they did have my money for a few months.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Yep definitely try Sea France or somebody else

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i was talking to a chap on p&o calais - dover on saturday, he had missed his 13.30 ferry due to queing on motorway and getting into calais dock. he was also charged £60 for later ferry. :Angry:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Norfolk Line

Here is my experience of Norfolk Line.

Last year paid £42 for return crossing using the promotion code from NEC show :thumb:

When we returned we got to Dunkirk 1 day early so thought we would get an earlier ferry went to Norfolk line office and was told I would have to pay an extra £132 :Eeek: After picking myself up I asked the girl to confirm after explaining I had only paid £42 for a return ticket. She insisted that it was correct so we left and spend a pleasant evening on the Aires at Gravelines.

Now that is real daylight robbery Hildweller :ROFLMAO:

Lunarman

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Here is my experience of Norfolk Line.

Last year paid £42 for return crossing using the promotion code from NEC show :thumb:

When we returned we got to Dunkirk 1 day early so thought we would get an earlier ferry went to Norfolk line office and was told I would have to pay an extra £132 :Eeek: After picking myself up I asked the girl to confirm after explaining I had only paid £42 for a return ticket. She insisted that it was correct so we left and spend a pleasant evening on the Aires at Gravelines.

Now that is real daylight robbery Hildweller :ROFLMAO:

Lunarman

Ouch ! You're right - it IS robbery - daylight or any other ! I've never had to alter a pre-booked sale time so I've never had the experience of being told to 'stand and deliver' !

But I do remember, years ago, on several occasions presenting myself for an earlier crossing than booked with P&O (by early I mean the same day, on the sailing before that booked, not several days early!) and being welcomed without being asked to pay a bean extra. Things appear to have changed !

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I think Sometimes you can be too honest. If you go to the ticket office and say you want to change sailings they will do it and charge you admin. If you go straight to the check in queue and say you are a bit early they are more likely to squeeze you on with no charge.
Certainly that is my experience and I would always try to blag it with a queue behind me before asking them to change and incur admin fees

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
we always found sea france very good had to return a couple of days early at the beginning of this month and was only charged £10 .
they explained so long as i was in the same price band time it was £10 if it was in another time band it would be £10 plus a charge for whatever the differance was for the next band.:thumb:
thought that was pretty good:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The moral of this story is to read the T&Cs of the ticket before you purchase..

I'm not defending the charges, but many cheap tickets have strict conditions and if you waver from them you will incur a charge..

I recall a special 'day trip ' offer on the Tunnel that was cheaper than a standard one way but required you to return on the same day.. failure to do so inured a charge when you next tried to use the Tunnel.. even weeks later ..

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
P & O....!! :thumb::thumb:

The charge is a bit OTT and it would not do them any harm just to let you on. Miserable bug****s.. But rules is rules...

I cant say that have ever had an issue, go over 3 times a year and for the past 4 years it;s been with P&O as they come out the cheapest. Book 1 way online a few days before and usually pay about £40-£50 max, 7.5mtr van.. Do the same on return, find a Mcdonald, go online and book return back same sort of price..

Once you get to that ticket office they know they have you over a barell...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We had a similar experience with P&O but with a completely different outcome.

We were heading off to France for spring bank holiday last year, set off for Dover from Shrewsbury at about 5 in the afternoon for a ferry that was leaving at about 11 I think.

Battled through the Birmingham traffic, and stopped at Coreley for a sandwich whereupon, with a look of horror, Kay said that she'd left the passports in her car at my office!

We called P&O more or less straight away, explained that we were going to miss our boat and the guy simply changed our booking to the next morning for the princely sum of £15 - we were well impressed.

We also had a time last year when we arrived early for a ferry and they put us on an earlier crossing for a tenner.

Sounds like we've been lucky.

Mind you, we also used DFDS this year after booking at the show. Pretty good value we reckoned, and clean, and well organised (we've had to fight fr our 'club' seats in the past on P&O).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back