Oyster Vision 2....not finding satellite

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by walburga, Dec 16, 2015.

1. walburga

walburga Funster

My Oyster Vision 2 (up-dated by previous owner prior to me purchasing the motorhome 5 months ago) will not find Astra 2, the dish goes up, spins, alters the elevation, but finds nothing.

I haven't used the system since 23rd November prior to this last w/e. Previously Astra 2 has been found with no apparent problems.
    I know it's rained a lot lately, but would that affect the lnb ?

I'd like to see if I could locate Astra 1, to see if the lnb was ok. Looking on the web I've found some instructions on how to operate the system...but trying to work my way through the menu structure on the control box is not easy, I thought I'd changed the satellite to be searched for but it keeps looking for astra 2.

I found some info on a previous thread re: software update instructions, but I'm not sure of some of the terms being used...reference is made to pressing the menu button on the 'remote'...is that the 'operating control device' that is hard wired to the control unit ?
    This small box has the following icons on it...sat dish, back arrow, forward arrow, and a tick.
    If it's not the same box, then I've not got the remote.
    And then the thread says update via astra 1....and I don't know how to get astra 1

The Oyster has been great when working, but if anything goes wrong it's not as easy to fettle as my previous set-up...sat dish clamped on a pole then clamped to the roof access ladders.

Hope someone can help me.

regards

Allen

2. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

I know you've probably checked, but is there something blocking the signal? Tree, building, telegraph pole - anything? Or leaves on the knob thingymegig? (n)(n)

3. Figaro

Figaro Funster

You sure it has clear line of sight to south ?
    I'm also told van needs to be reasonably level
    Sorry can't help further. Hope you get it sorted

4. walburga

walburga Funster

been double checking me nob (?..) all ok

Pretty level...and moved 4 times over the w/e.

The best of it is that I've now got it sorted.

Previous poster mentioned Oyster Sat-tech (ten-haft Oyster makers) on 0858 575 928, so I thought give them a go....I spoke to a lovely lady called Margaret, who knew all about the problem...at least 3 of the transponders on astra 2 have changed, she took me through the procedure of changing them whilst I still had the phone in my hand.
    Everything working now as it should.
    Margaret said that 1 of the transponders was still ok, and that the system would've eventually found it after it had gone through the other now redundant ones.
    Brilliant response from Oyster Sat-tech, especially Margaret.

regards

Allen

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Yup, we had a bolt of lightning strike about 50 yards away from the van and it wiped all the programming off the box !!
    It was Margaret who talked me through the reset ..

• Like Like x 1