gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am experienced in Motorhoming in Ireland and all around Europe.
My background is in Electronics Hardware and Software design. As many of you are no doubt aware the Oyster Vision 1 Satellite System is no longer supported by ten Haaft GmbH.
I have been contacted by several Motorhome owners who were looking for a solution to the problem that did not involve forking out £500-700 for a new Oyster Satellite controller. I now have a working solution to the problem which necessitates an add on box that fits beside the old wedge shaped control panel. The new box has a Keypad and LCD Display the enables the user to input and save new Transponder settings.
This solution will work for automatic searching for Astra 2 or any other satellite that can be received in Ireland/UK/Europe.
See attached photo of working unit.
John

Attachments

• 20160906_090533_resized.jpg
    20160906_090533_resized.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 190

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a fairly simple modification to our Oyster vision 1 it consists of a second LNB a change over switch and a bit of jiggery pokery in the software box and it searches for Astra 1 and locks on, switch the switch and it is on Astra 2.

Martin

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I take it your box of tricks is FREE to all as you make no mention of being trader and have made no attempt to observe trader advertising rules

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I take it your box of tricks is FREE to all as you make no mention of being trader and have made no attempt to observe trader advertising rules
Some Oyster Vision 1 systems will not lock on to Astra 1 in Ireland/UK. The transponder frequencies/settings are no longer in use.

Wanderlust 7

Free Member
Oct 4, 2016
Goring by Sea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello Could you give me more information on this box as our Oyster 1 is useless now and we are going to be selling our Motorhome next year so do not want to spend fortunes.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am experienced in Motorhoming in Ireland and all around Europe.
My background is in Electronics Hardware and Software design. As many of you are no doubt aware the Oyster Vision 1 Satellite System is no longer supported by ten Haaft GmbH.
I have been contacted by several Motorhome owners who were looking for a solution to the problem that did not involve forking out £500-700 for a new Oyster Satellite controller. I now have a working solution to the problem which necessitates an add on box that fits beside the old wedge shaped control panel. The new box has a Keypad and LCD Display the enables the user to input and save new Transponder settings.
This solution will work for automatic searching for Astra 2 or any other satellite that can be received in Ireland/UK/Europe.
See attached photo of working unit.
John
I'm very interested. Can you post more details please?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thank you Martin, how much did Robert Jackson charge for it?
Sue

Ah couple of years ago or three and I honestly can't remember, a few hundred pounds ish.

I guess its worth asking if they still do it and how much.

Martin

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
There is no need to spend a penny on upgrades.

If you have an old MK1 Oyster system which cannot be updated and you don’t want to spend anything upgrading the hardware then there is a final option which is manual aligning.

1. Switch on your receiver (digi box) and switch to the signal test menu page. Press Settings -> Option 4-> Option 6 on Sky Viewing boxes or usually under satellite setup on FTA Boxes.

2. Switch on your Oyster system and choose the relevant zone for your current location i.e. Uk = Top / France = Middle & Spain = Bottom. The Oyster system will search but not lock on and eventually stops with an error message of “No Satellite Found”. You need to stop the satellite search before it reaches this error stage. Wait for your Oyster system to start a box search i.e. Dish moves right, then dish moves down, then dish moves left and finally dish moves up and as it goes down and then goes left press the Menu button.

3. Using the right arrow on the control box scroll across to “Manual Search” and press the ok button.

4. Once in this mode you have full manual control over the Oyster and with the up, down, left and right arrows you can manually move the system, however the right arrow and left arrow controls are inverted and do the opposite of what they show. Move the system towards the southwards i.e. to the right from its current location by pressing the arrow one click at a time leaving a few seconds between clicks. Keep doing this until you start to see a signal show on the signal test page. Once the signal is present then peak the signal by using the arrows left, right etc until you have a strong reliable signal then press the ok button on the controller to store the location.

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Just back home from holidays today. The Vision 1 Programmer performed very well while away, no problem finding Astra 2 as far south as Alicante. I am now going to extend the functionality and test it over the next few days and will then be in a position to finalise the kit price.
By the way the Robert Jackson solution is dependant on the Oyster Vision 1 being able to find Astra 1 this may not be possible in the future if transponders are changed to accomodate more HD channels.
There is a lot of interest in this modification for Oyster Vision 1 and I am also looking at the possibility of modifying it to work on automatic satellite equipment from other manufacturers who no longer support upgrades for their equipment. If anybody has any specific requests I would be happy to look at it.
John

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@eddievanbitz

Dish moves right, then dish moves down, then dish moves left and finally dish moves up and as it goes down and then goes left press the Menu button.

So are you saying at this stage the dish has found the correct height and just needs adjustment left and right ?

TIA

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
In reply to the post from eddievanbits.
Without a valid transponder setting the Vision 1 controller cannot possibly find the satellite azimuth or elevation. It is possible to find any satellite in view using manual controls but it could take some time and it would be helpful to use a compass and satellite signal meter.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As others have asked.. Price and availability please @gibbo57 ?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Sorry for the delay on pricing, I am making some minor changes and will post details on price and availability next week.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In reply to the post from eddievanbits.
Without a valid transponder setting the Vision 1 controller cannot possibly find the satellite azimuth or elevation. It is possible to find any satellite in view using manual controls but it could take some time and it would be helpful to use a compass and satellite signal meter.
Its about six inches left and one inch down from Astra1 lol

With the digi box or Sky box displaying the signal strength meter it is pretty straightforward to find Astra2 once the system has found Astra1

The biggest problem that we has as a company suggesting that people spend money on electronic upgrades is the fact that the Vision1's are coming to the end of their natural lives, seals going, gearing wearing out and cables breaking etc.

As a Company we bear the brunt of the complaint when someone spends money on an upgrade of one part and another fails "I've just spent £ xxxxxxxx"

So the crux is how much will your update cost?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, ok then. I have the Jackson upgrade as post 2 but sometimes it struggles to find astra 1 for some reason it's a bit hit and miss.
Don't know how these things work but I wondered if transmission power had been reduced to whatever it is Oyster locks on to ?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
The cost for the Oyster Vision 1 update will be €200.00
I will not offer a kit for the moment therefore the Control Unit will have to be shipped to me for modification. The cost for modification and return of the controller is included in the price.
For clients that are concerned that their system may be reaching the "end of their natural life" I will be offering a full reconditiong service in the near future. This will include a full system check and replacement of wornout parts, motors, gears, bearings and seals.
John

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
The cost for the Oyster Vision 1 update will be €200.00
I will not offer a kit for the moment therefore the Control Unit will have to be shipped to me for modification. The cost for modification and return of the controller is included in the price.
For clients that are concerned that their system may be reaching the "end of their natural life" I will be offering a full reconditiong service in the near future. This will include a full system check and replacement of wornout parts, motors, gears, bearings and seals.
John

Attachments

• 20161208_154722.jpg
    20161208_154722.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 57
Dec 9, 2016
Worthing
Funster No
MH
A ClassRapido
Exp
since 2014
Hi We are very interested to get our Oyster Vision 1 updated. We are travelling to Galway the end of December could we bring it to you if you are near or otherwise please could you inform us of how to get it to you?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I thought you could switch Oyster1 to search for Astra2 instead then, when found, manually adjust (something like 2 steps down and 3 across) to get Astra1 (?)

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Hi Brian,
I am located in Athlone.
Will you be travelling to Galway in your Motorhome?
My mobile number is +353879117043

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi Brian,
I am located in Athlone.
Will you be travelling to Galway in your Motorhome?
My mobile number is +353879117043
Better to PM than give your mobile number to the whole of world, unless you want to of course :xThumb:

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Oyster Vision 1 Programmer Setup and Operating Instructions

Background

Oyster Vision 1 Satellite Controller had been made obsolete because the Manufacturer stopped supporting their product. Prior to this the only way to update the Transponder Settings was to remove it from your Motorhome/Caravan and ship it to an authorised dealer who would reprogram new Transponder settings and charge a fee for the update plus shipping costs. Over the last number of years the ASTRA 2 fleet of Satellites has been replaced and numerous Transponder changes has taken place. The Manufacturer has ceased to support this unit and advised its customers to purchase a new controller supplied by them at a sigificant cost which enables the user to input Transponder settings.

The alternative to this is to purchase a much lower cost Programmer which interfaces with the Control Unit. This unit is Designed, Manufactured and Installed by Zeniatech Limited based in Athlone, |Ireland

This Programmer when configured with correct Transponder settings can once again enable the system to automatically find any Satellite, if within the Satellite coverage footprint and as a result greatly extend the life of the product.

The unit is very simple to program and anybody that can program a number in to a mobile phone can operate this unit. Astra 2 Transponder settings can and do change on a regular basis, this should not be a problem with this update.

Programmer Specification

- Tuning Range 11.7GHz to 12.7GHz Vertical or Horizontal (DVB-S)

- 16 Button Keypad

- 16 Digits by 2 Rows Blue/Green LCD Display with Backlight

- RJ45 Connector for Power and Data connection to Satellite Controller

- 15mA power consumption with LCD Backlight off

- Permanent EEPROM Memory storage for Vertical and Horizontal Transponder Settings

- Symbol Rates Supported 22000 and 27500

- Automatic FEC (Forward Error Correction) Mode

- Bypass Mode (Programmer effectively not in circuit)

- Clear or White Moulded Plastic Case (130mm x 100,mm x 30mm)