Oyster satellite dishes (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Interested in an Oyster dish but never had a fixed installation before relying on a dish on a tripod. Always worked well but sometimes a hassle to setup and another thing to carry about. The downside of course is the cost. Have had accessories over the years that have remained fitted when selling. Is it possible to transfer dishes to a new vehicle without too much trouble and leaving the roof with holes that need to be plugged?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had an Oyster on the last van, worked well but like all large dishes have to take it down in high winds. Never though about transferring it as it was standard kit on the van, although I know a lot of people do.
I've fitted a Snipe to current van works well still get UK channels in the north of Provence a third of the price of an Oyster and don't have to put it down in high winds.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Interested in an Oyster dish but never had a fixed installation before relying on a dish on a tripod. Always worked well but sometimes a hassle to setup and another thing to carry about. The downside of course is the cost. Have had accessories over the years that have remained fitted when selling. Is it possible to transfer dishes to a new vehicle without too much trouble and leaving the roof with holes that need to be plugged?
Most satellite systems that are designed to be mounted to the roof, are designed to be able to be transferred to a new van in the event of a sale to retain the capital cost of the item.

Check with warranty though as this normally extends to the original installation and owner.

The all new, ALDEN AS4 system for example is the first of the new generation satellite systems to have a lifetime warranty. But if you sell the motorhome the warranty expires at that point

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We have an Oyster fitted to our MH. Works great, finds the signal no bother. I just love watching it deploying and jiggling about a bit to find the signal. Very Star Trek. In fact sometimes I just switch it on to watch the dish going up! :)

BTW it will look for the satellite in the last position it was used, so if you haven't moved the MH it will go straight there. If you have moved then after trying the last position it will find the new signal position.

Keith Hart

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had an Oyster on the last van, never any trouble finding a signal but as said vulnerable to high winds, not what you need halfway through MoTD. We had a RoadPro 40cm fitted on the new van, equally efficient and you don't have to lower it in a gale, only con is it puts our van just over 3 metres.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a oyster dish swaped it on to new van without to much trouble you have to buy a new plate to fix it on + labour costs or if you have bought new van of a dealer they will swap for you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back