LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As a trader shouldn't you announce the fact as the rest of us have to to comply with the rules? Especially as your complaining about the service you got from Oyster despite being in competition with them on their products?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I think you are overreacting.
I am not selling anything!
I am merely informing forum members that I have started work on a solution that many of them may need in the near furure. No guarantee that it will come to anything. I think that members would be interested to hear that somebody is working on this, what do you think?
I complemented Anthony on the service I received from him.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have now sucessfully updated a number of Oyster Vision 1 Control Units to automatically find Satellites once again. My update works on Control Units fitted with Alps
If anybody has one that they would like to get upgraded please contact me.

I think you are overreacting.
I am not selling anything!.
Oh I see

The upgrades are free then?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Your quote is out of context, taken from a different thread!

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Hi @Anthony OysterTech

Yes there are 4 buttons on the control unit. (No map of Europe)

Not able to lock on today due to the area where we live, we are surrounded by trees! It did lock on the last time we were away but we were unable to obtain any channels.

We then purchased an Avtex 218DRS. This has satellite and freeview tuners within the tv so there is no longer the need for the box in the cupboard. When the fitter came to fit the tv he told us the system was obsolete. So he did not connect the tv to satellite, we will now have to connect a cable from the oyster unit to the tv then test again in the open away from our trees.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated,. We are newbies and it is reassuring to know that their are still some honest people willing to give their time to help us.

I will keep you posted as soon as we have tested everything in the open.
Kind Regards. Mike and Toni

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I am an RF Engineer by profession.
I also have considerable experience in electronic hardware/software design. Everything else is just a sideshow.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So is that a yes or no? You seem to of not actually answered!

It's just that you sell a box to upgrade Oyster Vision one systems so the owners don't have to manually acquire Astra2 on this and other forums. You discussed the need (market)for it and the development and testing on Fun. You even announced a price

Given that, to keep within the rules you should declare your a trader

Unless you intend to sell your upgrades to Motorhome Fun members upgrades at cost?

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Anthony OysterTech

Yes there are 4 buttons on the control unit. (No map of Europe)

Not able to lock on today due to the area where we live, we are surrounded by trees! It did lock on the last time we were away but we were unable to obtain any channels.

We then purchased an Avtex 218DRS. This has satellite and freeview tuners within the tv so there is no longer the need for the box in the cupboard. When the fitter came to fit the tv he told us the system was obsolete. So he did not connect the tv to satellite, we will now have to connect a cable from the oyster unit to the tv then test again in the open away from our trees.

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated,. We are newbies and it is reassuring to know that their are still some honest people willing to give their time to help us.

I will keep you posted as soon as we have tested everything in the open.
Kind Regards. Mike and Toni

Morning,

Right yes you have the Oyster Vision II system which is NOT obsolete in any way, shape or form. Depending on the software version currently installed it may require an update however providing the software on it is 2008 or newer then just give the office a call and we can check/update the Astra 2 frequencies for you over the phone.
With regards to the TV you have purchased an Avtex with a built in Satellite decoder so all you will need to do is locate the Oyster brain unit (little tip, follow the black telephone cable coming out of the side of the control box if you're unsure of it's location). Once you find that you'll see that there are two coax connections on the side of the box. You simply have to take a coax from the connection that says "Receiver" to the screw in input on the TV. Once the Satellite is locked, the TV is on Satellite and is tuned your channels will be available as normal. Any problems please give me a call in the office on 01858575928.

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
Hi @Anthony OysterTech Brilliant thank you very much, we are now up and running and have Satelite TV!!!
Morning,

Right yes you have the Oyster Vision II system which is NOT obsolete in any way, shape or form. Depending on the software version currently installed it may require an update however providing the software on it is 2008 or newer then just give the office a call and we can check/update the Astra 2 frequencies for you over the phone.
With regards to the TV you have purchased an Avtex with a built in Satellite decoder so all you will need to do is locate the Oyster brain unit (little tip, follow the black telephone cable coming out of the side of the control box if you're unsure of it's location). Once you find that you'll see that there are two coax connections on the side of the box. You simply have to take a coax from the connection that says "Receiver" to the screw in input on the TV. Once the Satellite is locked, the TV is on Satellite and is tuned your channels will be available as normal. Any problems please give me a call in the office on 01858575928.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Well done that man at Oyster. On the couple of occasions I have had to deal with the company, frequency changes and conversion to dual LNB, I have had nothing more than top service. Excellent. :clap2: :notworthy2: :)

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
You are very welcome.

Glad to hear you are up and running. If you have any problems in the future or require any advice then please do not hesitate to contact me again on the forum or at the office.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Well done that man at Oyster. On the couple of occasions I have had to deal with the company, frequency changes and conversion to dual LNB, I have had nothing more than top service. Excellent. :clap2: :notworthy2: :)
Totally agree. A couple of years ago I had problems with my Caro system which was already fitted to a van when I bought it. I spoke to one of the Vanbitz staff [one of the sons I think] at a show who was helpful and gave me Anthony's phone number. Anthony was very patient and helpful and sorted me out.
I'm collecting a new van on Thursday. It's got an Oyster system fitted and I'm looking forward to having my Strikeback fitted by Vanbitz in May. Good service is not forgotten. :thanks3:

Terry

Nana

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Globecar campscout
Exp
7 years
@Terry242 Vanbitz have a lovely well kept site and you get the benefit of 10% discount! Our first trip out was to Vanbitz, we had a solar panel fitted brilliant service. I agree good service is never forgotten James was brilliant he answered all our newbie questions and nothing was too much trouble.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Hi @Anthony OysterTech. Could you please tell me which Oyster system I have from the attched photos and what I need to do to get it to track Astra 2? I'm a little confused as the control box seems to have only two buttons at the rear but my control unit doesn't have a map of Europe on it. System came with RH and I think dates from 2006. Many thanks

Attachments

• Box 1.jpg
    Box 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Box 2.jpg
    Box 2.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Controller.jpg
    Controller.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 61
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Totally agree. A couple of years ago I had problems with my Caro system which was already fitted to a van when I bought it. I spoke to one of the Vanbitz staff [one of the sons I think] at a show who was helpful and gave me Anthony's phone number. Anthony was very patient and helpful and sorted me out.
I'm collecting a new van on Thursday. It's got an Oyster system fitted and I'm looking forward to having my Strikeback fitted by Vanbitz in May. Good service is not forgotten. :thanks3:

Terry
eddie at vanbitz spent a lot of time talking me through my oyster system one night very much appreciated also had solar panel and battery master fitted great service

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning Robin,

The system you have is an Oyster Digital S6. This system is operated via remote control which you should have. If not then we can supply replacement remotes for these systems.
The age of the system means that it can longer differentiate between right and wrong Satellites however the Receiver just needs an update to correct this. Once the receiver has been updated then it will operate as before. In order to have the update done we would need the receiver. You can bring the system to us in situ or if you prefer you can remove the receiver from the vehicle and send it to us. If you would like to discuss this further then please give me a call in the office on 01858575928.

Now, the only downside to this version of receiver is that it is no longer supported. This update will be the last we can do however this doesn't necessarily mean that the receiver is useless once it eventually fails again. There is what we call a variable transponder option in this system so if at any point it fails to locate the satellite again in the future it will just be a case of calling me and I can talk you through the process. The only thing that will stop this receiver working completely is if and when the DVB-S (old standard) frequencies cease broadcasting on the Satellite but I don't expect that to happen in the near future.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Good morning Robin,

The system you have is an Oyster Digital S6. This system is operated via remote control which you should have. If not then we can supply replacement remotes for these systems.
The age of the system means that it can longer differentiate between right and wrong Satellites however the Receiver just needs an update to correct this. Once the receiver has been updated then it will operate as before. In order to have the update done we would need the receiver. You can bring the system to us in situ or if you prefer you can remove the receiver from the vehicle and send it to us. If you would like to discuss this further then please give me a call in the office on 01858575928.

Now, the only downside to this version of receiver is that it is no longer supported. This update will be the last we can do however this doesn't necessarily mean that the receiver is useless once it eventually fails again. There is what we call a variable transponder option in this system so if at any point it fails to locate the satellite again in the future it will just be a case of calling me and I can talk you through the process. The only thing that will stop this receiver working completely is if and when the DVB-S (old standard) frequencies cease broadcasting on the Satellite but I don't expect that to happen in the near future.
Many thanks @Anthony OysterTech, I'll give you a call re getting the receiver to you. We do have the remote. Details re the DVB-S signals understood. Great support! cheers(y)

Kieron-AT

Free Member
Feb 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Anthony OysterTech

Please could you help if possible?

I have recently brough a 2005 AT Cheiftain motorhome that has a Oyster Vision dish on the roof. It has a large grey control box and then a smaller 4 botton control box for powering it up.

For some reason I can not get it to power up! From what I can tell I have a good 12v feed coming up into the grey control box and 5v going into the smaller box via the telephone cable.

I can see from the history that the control box was replaced in 2012.

Is there anything else I am missing to get it to power up or would one of the boxes be faulty?

Hope you can help!

Regards

Kieron

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
@Anthony OysterTech

Please could you help if possible?

I have recently brough a 2005 AT Cheiftain motorhome that has a Oyster Vision dish on the roof. It has a large grey control box and then a smaller 4 botton control box for powering it up.

For some reason I can not get it to power up! From what I can tell I have a good 12v feed coming up into the grey control box and 5v going into the smaller box via the telephone cable.

I can see from the history that the control box was replaced in 2012.

Is there anything else I am missing to get it to power up or would one of the boxes be faulty?

Hope you can help!

Regards

Kieron

Hi Kieron,

I would assume that the 4 button Control box has lost it's firmware for whatever reason. This will give the impression that the unit is dead when it isn't.
In order to update that control box we must have it here I'm afraid as we need to open the unit up in order to perform the update.
You are more than welcome to send the unit or make an appointment to come and see us but if you send it then I would recommend sending both boxes just in case I'm wrong and there is a power issue with the brain unit.
I have PM'd you our address details and contact number.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
As posted earlier we lost the satellite when we were at Burrs Country Park. It was working perfectly one day, dropped the dish because it was windy, next day it wouldn't lock on. Spoke to the supplier and installer near to us who were far from helpful. After reading about Oyster Tech on here I rang Anthony who listened to me and my travails and then very patiently talked me through a re-set. I can only repeat on here what others have already said, Anthony was outstanding in his assistance to someone who hadn't previously spent a penny with them. Rest assured that from now on if I need anything to do with satellite systems then Oyster Tech will be my first port of call. Well done Anthony (y)

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Just received an extensive email from Anthony today re our Oyster set up. The time and care taken in his response was above any customer service I have ever had before. Excellent work and thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back