Oyster SAMY failing to lock onto satellite.

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by jaykay, Sep 6, 2015.

1. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

Hi all,

I have a samy system which up until recently has worked fine. I was at ferry meadows after a while back and couldny get a signal, but as we were near a tree, I thought that was why. I recently was in suffolk in an open field and same again. It worked great at easter in France.

It rotates to last position, then goes to automatic search (Astra 2) but tries and tries to find a signal but cant. It seems to line up in approx the right place, then tilts but moves on again.

I have just tried a cheap replacement lnb but its just the same so old one back on.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Have you left it until it stops? It can take up to 20 minutes or so

Until it gives up and stops it's still searching

3. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

To be honest no. I thought it would just keep going? It used to take a minute or so, but maybe using in France has changed where it finds it in its search program? I've given it five minutes or so, so far.
    I'll give it a longer try.

Thanks

4. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I used to have a different model Oyster, two things that might help.
    As you have been in France, go into setting and reset the country to England or UK.
    Try searching for Hotbird, Hotbird has a stronger signal, and position is very close to Astra, I used to find once it had locked onto Hotbird it would then lock onto Astra.

5. Speve

Speve Funster

My Alden system had same problem have had to send off the sat receiver for an update.
    They tell me the satellite positioning has changed.

6. spitfire

spitfire Funster

We had a problem with ours and at TenHaft they told us that if it has done about 2-3 revolutions with no luck then it won't find without manual search .
    On a more helpful note I hope someone told us to reset ours ( can't remember how but a search might find the post ) and lo and behold it works well

7. SandraL

SandraL Funster

We had similar problem. See sat n tv section date june 27. It had to do with oyster not seeing signal and needing to be retuned. It worked for me and was easy to do. Although we have oster 85 digital, not sure if it is same as samy.... Good luck.

8. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

Well, Its all sorted.
    First prize goes to EddieVanbitz. It took ages to find the satellite, but it eventually did, and reception was great. I am surprised it took so long as it was usually very quick, but its working and that's the main thing.
    Thanks again Eddie.

• Like Like x 1
  9. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

And once it has found the satellite if you park it it will only take a few seconds to re-aquire

It will quit when it looked everywhere, and until it's looked "everywhere" it's still searching

• Like Like x 1
  10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My new-to-me Hymer (2005) came with a Camos dome. Unless I'm missing something it's the most irritating accessory I've ever come across. It always finds the satellite and it always takes more than five minutes to do so. It then goes to sleep but still draws current from the battery. If I switch it off it starts the whole search process from scratch. It has two stepper motors inside that sound like someone rubbing sand into the roof and the vibration is sufficient to make the smoke alarm cover vibrate in sympathy. I'd get rid of it but on this van I can't find anywhere to store a conventional dish. On my last van I stored the dish in the engine compartment & could normally have it mounted & positioned before any auto version had found a satellite.

11. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

We had a Camos dome years ago on our first van, I thought once it had locked on to the satellite you could turn off the power and watch TV?