Oyster Cytrac DX Satellite Dish Thoughts

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Ralph-n-Bev, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

As some of you may know i have converted a panel van this year.
    The final edition to the build is a satellite system. As the title says i am pondering over the new Oyster Cytrac DX . Any thoughts on this type of flat dish system ?

This model seems to tick all my boxes (y)

My ideal wishlist for a satellite receiver is ....
    Automatic
    Mounting plate which can be bonded to the roof (no drilling)
    Wind resistant
    60 cm dish minimum or equivalent
    Low Profile when not in use

I have only ever used a multimo type dish on a tripod which has been great but a hassle to set up at times. Not having any experience with automatic systems i would appreciate any thoughts or comments (y)

Here is a link to the system www.vanbitz.com/product/oyster-cytrac-dx-single-lnb-automatic-satellite-system/

Thanks.....Ralph

2. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We have never had a dish, and from what I hear about having to take them down we are glad we have bought the omnimax done, we get a signal everywhere we go, and takes only a few mins to get a picture

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chipster

Chipster Funster Life Member

We have Cyrtax twin. Been fine. Would be a bit more robust in higher winds than a normal dish I guess. Easy to use and switch satellites. Does what it says on the tin!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The Oyster guys were show the Cytrac at the N+B factory bash in Germany recently, I talked briefly with them and my interpretation of the conversation would be that it was neater, lower profile, less problem in the wind and does not pick up a signal as well as the 85 cm Parabolic, so it comes down to where you want to use it and do you want the best signal as far South as possible.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  5. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We sell more Cytrac on PVC than anything else, the work well, look neat and most importantly fit most of the time LOL

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Just bumping this up for Ralph, when he comes home from work .
    Anymore members have this or have any pro's cons ?
    Ta muchly.

7. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We have this model on our van were away last week in winds of up to 70mph it's bonded on not drilled & it was fine could hear it rattle a bit but never lost a picture.
    The caravan parked behind us also had one and never had a problem either.

Liz

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Thanks everyone for the replies so far (y)

Just in from work and going through them and have to say your telling me what i want to hear :)

I wonder if @eddievanbitz is doing black Friday deals :D:D

9. eddievanbitz

LOL Nope just your usual, exceptional, exclusive, generous, massive 10% Funster discount!

Black Friday! Only the Americans could organise something so crass, Fighting each other for things that they don't want or need, just after they have said "Thanks" for all the stuff that they've already got !

Gotta love 'em!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Cheers @eddievanbitz , I am more than happy with your generous Funster discount.
    Just want to do a bit more research but i think this is the one (y)

Don`t know if you have fitted one personally, but if so is the mounting plate steel and have you had any problems bonding it to the ribbed roofs
    on panel vans ? Ours is on the Boxer

Thanks.....Ralph

11. eddievanbitz

Hi Ralph, the plate is aluminium, and there is no problem on ribbed roofs.

It's a popular choice with our PVC customers

Regards

Eddie

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Thanks Eddie...... I will be in touch ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

I just had it fitted on Saturday and so far my choice has been a good one. When we started caravaning in 2007 we started off with the dish and tripod followed by the maxview crank up then on our last van we fitted the road pro camos dome. The dome was excellent giving us no trouble at all, always found the satellite when it had a clear view though took longer to acquire the further north we went. With the motor home I wanted as big a dish as possible that could cope with the breezes we get on the coast in Scotland as this is where we tend to holiday. The thought of putting a big 80cm dish on the roof filled me with a little trepidation as the dome worked fine in gale force winds were as I would be putting the 80cm dish down hopefully before it got damaged. After a lot of research I opted for the cytrac as the shape and size should and did cope well with the high winds on Saturday and Sunday with no loss of signal experienced. It has a location set up, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to help the dish acquire the satellite faster as well as the last position. So far the dish has acquired the satellite within a minute or so from pressing the control box start button. Initial reports that I had read of the system prior to purchase was that it was picking up the Sky beam into southern France and Germany which is as far south as we are planning to travel. The big test for me will be in how it performs when we go north to Morvich and on to the Cape over to Dunnet Head.

• Like Like x 1
  14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This year I purchased and fitted the Alden AS4 kit from Eddie, but maybe not suitable for your van.. ?

It was easy to install, comes with everything you need for a DIY fit.. Fixes to the roof with the supplied Sikaflex, no bolts used, with plenty length in the cables to reach the controller.., it was literally 'plug n play' ..

On our trip to SW France it performed faultlessly .. it is up and locked on in less than a minute... very pleased with it..

and it comes with a lifetime warranty on the satellite system.. two years on the controller.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

In the words of Scotty, the Star Trek engineer, 'ye canna change the laws of physics' :)
    If you intend staying north of the south of France and never going to Italy then a small dish of any type is fine

If you are intending travelling further afield then the bigger the dish the better off you will be.
    There are no magic cures as such.
    Sure the smaller units work very well and they do tend to have really good LNB's fitted as standard, but at the end of it all, it is simply a matter of size

• Like Like x 1
  16. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi Ralph
    I had a oyster-cytrac-dx fitted to my van. No trouble apart from the usual trees. That's the only problem with fixed dishes.
    It locks on and finds satellites quickly any other time.
    I see you are in Wakefield why not go and talk to Robert Jackson, he can't be far away, he fitted mine great help and a good job too.
    The only thing I would do before having one fitted is bond a aluminium plate to the roof which I did on my PVC because the roof had ridges. I got a plate and drilled and tapped 10mm holes same profile as the base of the dish. Thus when you change vans the dish can be removed easily. If you want more info P.M.
    Colin

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hi @Lorryman100 Glad you are impressed with the flat dish and the way it stood up to the wind last weekend (y)
    We too spend a lot of time up in Scotland especially on the Western Isle where it can blow.
    Don`t think you will have any reception problems at Dunnet Head, We got a great signal on our little Multimo dish at the Butt of Lewis lighthouse.
    Your a little bit further north at Dunnet Head but with the bigger dish it shouldn't be a problem (y)
    Thanks for a great post.

Thanks....Ralph

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

WOW.....Lifetime warranty, I like the sound of that (y)
    We intend to keep this van for at least the next 15 - 20 years so a warranty like that would be comforting.
    Like you say though, it might not be suitable for my vans roof as it has ribs.
    I think the Cytrac has a slightly bigger footprint and a mounting plate which i can Sikaflex down.
    I will have to have a word with @eddievanbitz before i decide on which one to go with.

It certainly sounds like its performing well for you (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Hi Colin, Glad you too are happy with the Oyster Cytrac. Thanks for the recommendation but I will be fitting the dish myself so it will be supply only i am looking for (y)
    Great idea on the fixing plate (y) I think the system comes with a mounting plate. If the supplied plate falls off centre on the roof ribs i may fix a larger one first to balance it out. I already have a four way roof gland in place to take the wiring so its just the dish to mount hopefully just using Sikaflex and primer.

Thanks for the idea, I may just be back in touch...

Cheers.....Ralph

20. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi Ralph
    See if Robert Jackson can do you a deal on supply only, the Cytrac does come with a mounting plate and Robert has his own replacement ones made, but I found that the ribs on my Peugeot AS Warwick Duo did not give enough surface to match the Cytrac foot print so I got a piece of Alluminium plate from a local HGV wagon body builder.
    Colin

• Like Like x 1