Own up then! Who drives a German registered MH? (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Having owned British built caravans that had more water in the walls than my garden pond also I did work in the industry for 10 years. Personaly have known several Swift owners who have had to return new caravans less than a year old that had to go back to the factory due to water ingress problems.
Cant disagree with that ,but you stated "most " not "several"and I am interested where that data comes from and the % against sales that were affected ,I have also worked in the industry for many years and have had many caravans built by swift with absolutely no problems and can only recall a couple of incidents that were the cause of any water ingress and that was through the heki ,as so many other vans were affected British,German and French...currently own ,and have owned for ten years my auto cruise stargazer with no damp issues .so cant understand the reasoning without proof that all British made vans are rubbish and that any foreign vehicles of the equivalent price is the bees knees with no faults..Roy

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Feel really sorry for the chap. Good on him for having the bottle to put his pride and joy that cost him 40k plus a for all to see. Never mind about stats data and all that it's yet another example of poor British workmanship. He's probably worked hard for a long time to pay for that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Feel really sorry for the chap. Good on him for having the bottle to put his pride and joy that cost him 40k plus a for all to see. Never mind about stats data and all that it's yet another example of poor British workmanship. He's probably worked hard for a long time to pay for that.
Take it there is no such thing as poor German workmanship ..i do get so fed up with owners of foreign vehicles stating that British workmanship is poor ,when this is obviously not the case in the majority .however got to hand it to the bailey owner for showing us a bad design ,I wonder how many owners of foreign vehicles would have the balls to do that when they have bought a rubbish motor. And yes thee are some out there and costing not £40k but £120k plus ..

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
As @Anthea M posted above that I bet I'm glad it's not mine, I had some very bad news at Peterborough when I had the habitation check done my Bailey 740 failed it's damp test as it has 60% water ingress :cry::cry:

As Graham and Jill witnessed when I found out I was not happy at all, we had the hab check done early as it was easier for us to get it done then even though the van was only 10 months old.

The result was the next day I met the salesman who sold us the van from W Yorks and after having a rant at him decided to swap vans if they would deal with the damp which is under warranty and we have now gone and bought a German van.

I must just point out this was the second Bailey Moho we've owned and the 1st never had an issue with damp at all also it was independently checked but not by the dealer.

We pick new van up on 12th May and the Hymer man in the compound where we store it is going to give it a damp test when we get back but he's not expecting to find anything, he did point out that we should not have bought British!

Liz

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
As @Anthea M posted above that I bet I'm glad it's not mine, I had some very bad news at Peterborough when I had the habitation check done my Bailey 740 failed it's damp test as it has 60% water ingress :cry::cry:

As Graham and Jill witnessed when I found out I was not happy at all, we had the hab check done early as it was easier for us to get it done then even though the van was only 10 months old.

The result was the next day I met the salesman who sold us the van from W Yorks and after having a rant at him decided to swap vans if they would deal with the damp which is under warranty and we have now gone and bought a German van.

I must just point out this was the second Bailey Moho we've owned and the 1st never had an issue with damp at all also it was independently checked but not by the dealer.

We pick new van up on 12th May and the Hymer man in the compound where we store it is going to give it a damp test when we get back but he's not expecting to find anything, he did point out that we should not have bought British!

Liz
Glad that salesman didn't work for me ..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I don't see the problem,
Water in water out its a drainage system
Just like every single car on the road with a sun roof, designed to let water in and out again
It is very clear from the video he parks in such a manner to encourage water build up
In every day normal use you would never notice it and if stored with the "Fault" in mind, you would park at least level or slightly uphill.
If he drove into his drive it would empty as fast as it filled, Just Like a sun roof.
When a sun roof drain blocks water enters the car, on the seats ,behind the dash, all manner of places get soaked.
he made no claims of water ingress at all and i feel sure he would if he could
And yet iv'e never read of an uproar over 100K Rolls Royce sun roof leaks
Strange breed Motor Homers.
Geo

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
I don't know @Khizzie they can deal with the damp issue which they would have done anyway and he got a sale for a van that's was worth twice what the Bailey was I think if he worked for me I would keep him!

Liz

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'd like to own a German Motorhome.
But DVLA wouldn't register our Hobby as a Hobby, (something to do with their computer.)
so we had to register it as a F(ix) I(t) A(gain) T(ony)
My Hymer is registered as a Hymer, these days they put in the V5 whatever you put on the form without checking, I also managed to put the engine type for engine number (not my fault dealer put it on the invoice as engine No.), not bothered to get V5 changed as "unknown" is acceptable they don't care about engine numbers these days.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
So.. How about that smiley face on the satellite dish. Good isn’t it..:rolleyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't see the problem,

If it were designed like that.. ok... but it wasn't..

The owner of the motorhome in the video complained to Bailey who initially said it was how it was designed.. but they have backtracked and now admitted a build fault..

There is a long 10 page detailed thread on Facts about it by the owner.. this is the outcome..

10-11-2013,
Bailey brought my motorhome back on Friday morning I was told that the corner caps had not been fitted properly and so this is where the water was getting into the roof void.
I was also told that the person who told me that this was supposed to happen was wrong

It has been raining non stop now for 2 days so this morning we moved the van to see if they had fixed the problem and I am glad to say they have not a drop.

Like I said previously I didn't want to resort to slagging anyone off but when they think that they can tell you that this sort of thing is normal then it left me with no other option.
I will say that the person that I have been dealing with at Bailey has been very good always phoning me to keep me informed.
Well we are of to Spain soon so we can get back to enjoying the van again

I would like to thank you all for your support and comments on here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't see the problem,
Just like every single car on the road with a sun roof, designed to let water in and out again
It is very clear from the video he parks in such a manner to encourage water build up
In every day normal use you would never notice it and if stored with the "Fault" in mind, you would park at least level or slightly uphill.
If he drove into his drive it would empty as fast as it filled, Just Like a sun roof.
When a sun roof drain blocks water enters the car, on the seats ,behind the dash, all manner of places get soaked.
Geo
You are kidding aren't you! There is no way on earth that Bailey waterfall is acceptable in any way shape or form, the design of the MH is bad or it hasn't been put together correctly, otherwise the water wouldn't be able to sit like that in the first place, I've had many MHs and although we've had a bit of water on the roof when we move off, we've NEVER had anything like that.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I Firmly believe that the design anticipated water ingress and provision was made for its safe drainage without ingress to the structure of the motor home
Maybe No1 man used the wrong terminology and may have said its a "design feature" of the construction. quoted as "Its suposed to do that"
Water in Water out No damage, Seemples eg A Drain.
I suffer on a daily basis from customers who say you "Said" and apply their spin on what was actually said, dependant entirely on what they want to hear, im 100% certain other trades would agree
We are only relying on the owners interpretation of what was said and yes they stopped it because the owner asked for it to stop, they now have at least one happy moaning customer
Thats one complaint from hundreds sold so I don't perceive it to be a problem and that is the crux of the majority of post on the web the happy people have little to say, and unfortunately it seems the majority fully believe the minority

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are kidding aren't you! There is no way on earth that Bailey waterfall is acceptable in any way shape or form, the design of the MH is bad or it hasn't been put together correctly, otherwise the water wouldn't be able to sit like that in the first place, I've had many MHs and although we've had a bit of water on the roof when we move off, we've NEVER had anything like that.
I bow to your superior knowledge Bailey will be in touch for ideas on the next model:rolleyes:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My Hymer is registered as a Hymer, these days they put in the V5 whatever you put on the form without checking, I also managed to put the engine type for engine number (not my fault dealer put it on the invoice as engine No.), not bothered to get V5 changed as "unknown" is acceptable they don't care about engine numbers these days.

Ahhh.
But in our case the Hobby had been Registered and used and Taxed (with a Tax Disc) described as a TRIGANO??? for 7yrs. (Thanks Brownhills who did the first Registration.
My feelings were that, if stopped in the UK I could argue my case (I was in THE JOB). However, and BIG BUT, I wasn't confident enough in my lingistic skills in french to argue my way out of a paper bag with Le Gendarmerie.
So, we had it changed and it wasn't easy.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I
I don't see the problem,
Geo
Eh......sunroof leaking like that.......what ?....you don't think that amount of water sitting on a roof is a problem? I do, and if you told me it was the position I was parking it in, I would tell you to go and assume a certain position until it was properly fixed!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I Firmly believe that the design anticipated water ingress and provision was made for its safe drainage without ingress to the structure of the motor home
Maybe No1 man used the wrong terminology and may have said its a "design feature" of the construction. quoted as "Its suposed to do that"
Water in Water out No damage, Seemples eg A Drain.
I suffer on a daily basis from customers who say you "Said" and apply their spin on what was actually said, dependant entirely on what they want to hear, im 100% certain other trades would agree
We are only relying on the owners interpretation of what was said and yes they stopped it because the owner asked for it to stop, they now have at least one happy moaning customer
Thats one complaint from hundreds sold so I don't perceive it to be a problem and that is the crux of the majority of post on the web the happy people have little to say, and unfortunately it seems the majority fully believe the minority
Geo, I think you have a very 'different' way to interpret stuff from a lot of other people ... to believe for one minute that the Bailey waterfall was anticipated in any way and the designers allowed for it ... sorry, that just doesn't make sense! What you no doubt have now read is the update about it being a 'fault' due to the 'corners' being wrongly fitted ... so to believe that they allowed for this 'fault' beggars belief.

I also think you are being very disingenuous to the owner of this particular vehicle to say he was a "moaning customer" ... he was an extremely unhappy customer with a product which he had paid a LOT of money for which was doing something it was NOT meant to and was then 'fobbed off' initially although eventually it was correctly identified as a genuine fault and rectified ... to give him his due he has made it known on the web etc so that others who have the same problem are aware it can be fixed and not be fobbed off either. Whether there have been others with the same problem we don't know so you cannot say for certain that this is the only complaint or that the majority who post on the web are 'moaners' and those who are not moaners don't say much! That 'could' be interpreted in a very negative comment about people who frequent forums etc and post on the web, but I am sure you didn't mean to insult anyone so I shall not take it as such.

If you have things like this happening to you daily then perhaps its not always the 'customers' who are wrong ... :rolleyes: ;)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Geo, I think you have a very 'different' way to interpret stuff from a lot of other people ... to believe for one minute that the Bailey waterfall was anticipated in any way and the designers allowed for it ... sorry, that just doesn't make sense! What you no doubt have now read is the update about it being a 'fault' due to the 'corners' being wrongly fitted ... so to believe that they allowed for this 'fault' beggars belief.

I also think you are being very disingenuous to the owner of this particular vehicle to say he was a "moaning customer" ... he was an extremely unhappy customer with a product which he had paid a LOT of money for which was doing something it was NOT meant to and was then 'fobbed off' initially although eventually it was correctly identified as a genuine fault and rectified ... to give him his due he has made it known on the web etc so that others who have the same problem are aware it can be fixed and not be fobbed off either. Whether there have been others with the same problem we don't know so you cannot say for certain that this is the only complaint or that the majority who post on the web are 'moaners' and those who are not moaners don't say much! That 'could' be interpreted in a very negative comment about people who frequent forums etc and post on the web, but I am sure you didn't mean to insult anyone so I shall not take it as such.

If you have things like this happening to you daily then perhaps its not always the 'customers' who are wrong ... :rolleyes: ;)
Actually those words like 'design feature' 'it is supposed to do that' plus 'they all do that mate' come out of a cows bottom.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Actually those words like 'design feature' 'it is supposed to do that' plus 'they all do that mate' come out of a cows bottom.

Indeed I do! heaven forbid I simply follow the masses, its what make me special, ask my Mum;)

Is that a new design feature, I thought it was Bulls Bottoms:D

It seems clear that most of the comments are knee jerk reactions to a staged demonstration, I am simply offering the other side of the coin to which some seem oblivious
of course coins only have one side don't they. And yes I do stand by my statement that it is a design feature, all you have to do is learn what a design feature is you are confusing it with a water feature:rolleyes:

Minxy you would do well to meet me, to discover me, and not voice your impression of me until you have, or maybe walk a few miles in my shoes.
ps There is never any doubt when I am insulting folk;)
Geo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Indeed I do! heaven forbid I simply follow the masses, its what make me special, ask my Mum;)
Now that I DO believe! :LOL:

What I can't fathom though is that you were adamant, and probably still are from your subsequent postings, that this wasn't a fault and instead actually blamed the chap for the way he was parking his van, then claim it was designed to do this ... his subsequent update clearly informed us that it wasn't. I recall the original threads about this on other forums when the chap first had the problem so it certainly wasn't in any way staged for the hell of it, he was extremely unhappy about the 'fobbing off' he was receiving from Bailey and rightly so. If that means I followed the masses on this and you didn't that's okey-dokey by me as I'd rather be right than 'special'. :D

Minxy you would do well to meet me, to discover me, and not voice your impression of me until you have, or maybe walk a few miles in my shoes.
ps There is never any doubt when I am insulting folk;)
Geo
As my Mum would say ... "ditto" ... she used to think it was a swear word as a kid ... not that I'm swearing at you of course ... heaven forbid ... if I was you'd know about it! :X3:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Now that I DO believe! :LOL:

What I can't fathom though is that you were adamant, and probably still are from your subsequent postings, that this wasn't a fault and instead actually blamed the chap for the way he was parking his van, then claim it was designed to do this ... his subsequent update clearly informed us that it wasn't. I recall the original threads about this on other forums when the chap first had the problem so it certainly wasn't in any way staged for the hell of it, he was extremely unhappy about the 'fobbing off' he was receiving from Bailey and rightly so. If that means I followed the masses on this and you didn't that's okey-dokey by me as I'd rather be right than 'special'. :D

As my Mum would say ... "ditto" ... she used to think it was a swear word as a kid ... not that I'm swearing at you of course ... heaven forbid ... if I was you'd know about it! :X3:
The Design feature is a water feature in the roof, which varies according to how you park! according to the resident trader......that must be some sort of classic clanger ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Look on the bright side, if you had the Bailey and were getting short of water, or wanted a shower, you could re-fill your tanks afterwards! :D

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Design feature is a water feature in the roof, which varies according to how you park! according to the resident trader......that must be some sort of classic clanger ?
Not at all, its a design feature ive already told you it is, Please pay attention.
A classic clanger is such as a lot of long tag axles,and other long vans, they are so long that the roof sags and water pools in the middle about two inches deep all around the big heki roof light but for the grace of a good fitter and proper sealant the van would be soaked,
An awfull lot do get soaked by such water ingress, Unlike the Bailey's with the designed drainage feature.(y)
Ill say it again "Water in---Water out, No damage" = A design feature, I hope i dont have to explain it again to you;)

Same shit......different name.....
You need to watch more CSI there is definitely a forensic difference between the two
Look on the bright side, if you had the Bailey and were getting short of water, or wanted a shower, you could re-fill your tanks afterwards! :D
So you are now suggesting it could be a design feature too:rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sometimes I wish I lived in 'your world' Geo ... but mostly I'm glad I don't! :LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Just another bit to throw into the ring, The water is staying there and then pouring down the side trims to the ground. HAVE YOU EVER seen what is behind those trims?, I have and it is a load of ripped, bare metal where the back of the cab has been hacked off in the converters workshop, it is rough chopped steel and no paint is added to it for further protection working on the premise that it will never see water there, only a bit of condensation. When the get a chassis-cab it normally had a complete back panel on it, like little tipper trucks have . That has to go so it gets chewed off with whatever tool is to hand Power hacksaw/ air-chisel/ cold chisel and mallet. hard-mans front teeth, what ever is used where it is being done. It is well placed to be soaked through with water all the time.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Not at all, its a design feature ive already told you it is, Please pay attention.
A classic clanger is such as a lot of long tag axles,and other long vans, they are so long that the roof sags and water pools in the middle about two inches deep all around the big heki roof light but for the grace of a good fitter and proper sealant the van would be soaked,
An awfull lot do get soaked by such water ingress, Unlike the Bailey's with the designed drainage feature.(y)
Ill say it again "Water in---Water out, No damage" = A design feature, I hope i dont have to explain it again to you;)

You need to watch more CSI there is definitely a forensic difference between the two

So you are now suggesting it could be a design feature too:rolleyes:
I dont think mr bailey leak had a tag axle.....so that is irrelevant to this discussion. Which is over anyway as Bailey admitted there was a fault. There was no 'design feature' of the leaky roof (or incorrect parking :rofl:) it was deemed to be faulty manufacturing.....so why are you still saying it was a feature ??:doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back