Overwintering abroad, registering! (1 Viewer)

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice and opening a debate probably. This is our second winter spend on the Algarve and we're very lucky to be able to do this. Debate ongoing on our site is the subject of registering with the local Council and registering your vehicle with the government. Law seems to state that if you are in a European country for over 3 months you should 'register'. In addition, if you have a vehicle in a European country for over 6 months you should reregister the vehicle in the country you're in. The question is, if you're in a Motorhome & travelling around do you have to do this? If you do or don't register what are the implications of doing this or not doing it?
My view is that I'm not taking up permanent residency ( by virtue of having a mobile vehicle) and therefore none of this really applies. What do people think?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:Eeek:can of worms leave it shut.:Eeek:
Agree , Don't even go there unless you are being asked to. Even then just find somewhere else to move to. It doesn't bear thinking about & you'll never sleep again.:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice and opening a debate probably. This is our second winter spend on the Algarve and we're very lucky to be able to do this. Debate ongoing on our site is the subject of registering with the local Council and registering your vehicle with the government. Law seems to state that if you are in a European country for over 3 months you should 'register'. In addition, if you have a vehicle in a European country for over 6 months you should reregister the vehicle in the country you're in. The question is, if you're in a Motorhome & travelling around do you have to do this? If you do or don't register what are the implications of doing this or not doing it?
My view is that I'm not taking up permanent residency ( by virtue of having a mobile vehicle) and therefore none of this really applies. What do people think?

All of the above is indeed correct . Six months and one day and you are considered a resident but in a motorhome I shouldn't think they would check however more importantly your vehicle must be road legal for the country of its plates . ie taxed, insured and MOT if required . Also I guess it depends if your insurance company allows over 6 months out of the country . If any of these conditions are not met then you could be in deep trouble if stopped or in an accident !!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
All of the above is indeed correct . Six months and one day and you are considered a resident but in a motorhome I shouldn't think they would check however more importantly your vehicle must be road legal for the country of its plates . ie taxed, insured and MOT if required . Also I guess it depends if your insurance company allows over 6 months out of the country . If any of these conditions are not met then you could be in deep trouble if stopped or in an accident !!

Here in Spain that is for fiscal residency which is cumulative in a calendar year. Residency is 90 days & then you must register as a " foreign resident " This is consecutive , so leave after 89 days wander around , come back, clock starts again. You can be a resident without being fiscally resident & fiscally resident without being resident. In the OP's case the one thing that rules out doing any of it is that if they registered as " resident " ,albeit temporarily, then immediately they cannot drive the motorhome as a resident of a country cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle. :eek:
This applies in all EU countries .

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Border hop.
France, Spain, Portugul, Spain and so on.
Just keep some fuel reciepts or something to prove it.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
resident of a country cannot drive a foreign plated vehicle

I'm not sure in that. When I was a resident of Germany I drove UK registered cars all the time. It was my job... I'm pretty sure the firm I was working for would have known if there were issues with this.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm not sure in that. When I was a resident of Germany I drove UK registered cars all the time. It was my job... I'm pretty sure the firm I was working for would have known if there were issues with this.
yes there are exceptions for " professional drivers " lorries etc; & persons working for car hire companies etc, where their exists the possibility that they have to return a 'cross-border' hire vehicle to another depot or another EU state.
For the general population it is illegal. I had to & fro's with both the dvla ( useless load of ***. Took 10+ emails before they found someone with a brain ) & the EU . Eu answered within 10 working days. Law has been in place since 1983 but is only recently being enforced by most EU states.

Here's the crux of DVla reply

" The Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 stipulates that UK residents are not permitted to use a non-UK-registered vehicle on UK roads. In the circumstances that you have explained, your daughters or your daughter’s partners will not be permitted to use a non-UK registered vehicle as they are residents within the UK."

& EU;

" The short answer is that the car must not be lent to a third party in the circumstances you relate (in this case, the car is lent by you to your children (and their respective partners) whom we assume are habitually resident in the UK).

Under EU law, cars must be registered where the owner is habitually resident. In this case, the car in question appears to be properly registered in Spain. However, article 3 Directive 83/182 forbids for the car in question to be lent to a third party.

Different rules apply for vehicles destined for business use; this is not your case or that of your children, given that the use of the car in question is for a private use. "

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I think, if you went to the local town hall and tried to register, you'd be politely discouraged by the staff. And, it's a process which once started could cause you all sorts of difficulties when you head for home (uk).

Best left well alone :)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Just forget it, lots of us do.

If you make sure that your vehicle insurance provides proper longer term cover then that's all you need to worry about.

Here in Spain you can apply for NIE so you can buy property or a car, but there is no pressure to become resident.

Many are here long term, but don't apply to be resident and nobody worries about it.

:cooler:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Please close this thread, it will, and has in the past caused nothing but problems, come to Spain and enjoy your holiday, if the authorities in the UK are happy, then you should be too, making complications for yourselves will only put you off from coming. Can of worms postings is the best way I can put it, for a more precise explanation what Gus has written is 100% fact. Spain has had more problems to worry about than visitors travelling around and overstaying a little. The rules apply to all, but the Authorities are out to get the ones who abuse to system big time, that's not you guys visiting for extended holidays.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Excuse me my man, I am English :whistle:.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
With all this though bear in mind the NHS rules regarding length of stay on a EHIC

Although I have no idea if you can change doctors to a Spanish doctor without registering anything else.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Excuse me my man, I am English:whistle: Posted by Snowbird a regular to European travelling.

Are we missing something.? Can you explain please.

Deleted User
In Portugal it is possible to obtain a 'Fiscal Number' by simply producing a UK passport, UK address and €10.20 at the local Town Hall (don't know the Portuguese).This enables access to various things including mobile phone contracts.

Surely something so simply obtained, no Portuguese address necessary, does not mean that you become a 'resident' of Portugal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back