Overweight ! (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its not a requirement to have it weighed, mines done by VOSA and all I get is the emissions print out and the pass certificate.

The only reason they need your weight is for the brake test calibration.

Olley

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine was weighed at the last MOT. If its not a requirement why it i done....... Geoooooooooo

Jim
:Smile:

was it done at a ministry station ?

LGV's over 7500kg probably do need to be weighed at test and as they have the means (weighbridge) they will use it anyway as a matter of coarse as more LGV's will be tested than cars/vans.

just possible they do it for the brake test efficiency % calculations if no other % is available.

bugger....olley got in first !

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi pappa.

I took it to a dealership/garage for Service, MOT and a few other bits that needed doing like a new flooor cos the plumbing had leaked and the floor was rotten.

They in turn took it somewhere else for it to be MOT'D. It was interesting because it weighed less than the factory shipping weight and the transatlantic shipping weight :whatthe:

Jim
:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi are you seeing an actual weight certificate from a weighbridge? or are you seeing it on the brake test print out?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi are you seeing an actual weight certificate from a weighbridge? or are you seeing it on the brake test print out?

Its an actual weight certificate from a weighbridge olley. It was appended to the mot certificate along with the emissions print out

Jim
:Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim when I take mine in, he looks at the plate, then askes me how heavy I think it is, and thats me weighed. :ROFLMAO:

And that's VOSA

Olley

PS I think brother who's a tester for cars told me his brake rollers automatically weigh the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi pappa.

It was interesting because it weighed less than the factory shipping weight and the transatlantic shipping weight :whatthe:

Jim
:Doh:
were the factory and trans shipping weights in pounds or tons ?

if in pounds then someone got it wrong.
american and uk lbs are the same.

if in US tons then it would be lighter.

1 american ton = 2000lbs
1 uk ton = 2240lbs

not sure but i think all shipping is calculated in tons, whether metric,imp or american.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi might also have been "Tonne" this from wiki "The tonne is equal to 1,000 kg or 2,204.62262 lb" ::bigsmile:

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they normally dont weigh the trucks dont know of a ministry station in cornwall with a wt bridge . what they do isput a big clamp on the back of the truck and apply pressure instead of weight. unless you have a test weight put in the back . we used to have a big concrete weight that had a wt docket so they knew its wt and could work the braking efficancy from there.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
get worse dunnit....now we have 3 different tons/tonnes :Doh:

As long as there all legal :winky:

Hi might also have been "Tonne" this from wiki "The tonne is equal to 1,000 kg or 2,204.62262 lb" ::bigsmile:

Olley

A tonne is metric and a ton is imperial so theres very little differnce. I must know check my docs when I get home. Not that it will make any difference but Iv'e got to know

Jim

:RollEyes:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
had my MOT at the ministry test station in Camborne, Cornwall in April this year, and to test the brakes they have a weighbridge built into the rolling road so they get the correct brake pressure for the weight of each axle, I actualy followed a 7.5ton delivery lorry through the test site and it was interesting watching a fork lift truck bearing down on the rear section whilst testing the brakes.

Anyhow back to the point in question although the vehicle was weighed, its not an MOT requirement otherwise I would have failed, I have since unloaded a lot of baggage ( she wasn't ammused) to bring it down to 7.4 ton.

The tester did warn me that if he saw me outside on the public road he would be obliged to stop me, so I was duly warned and took heed.

Even though I was over the limit in weight the Brakes performed well within the tolerances.

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back