Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jock .as a fire fighter i,m sure you know about fatal accidents and how the authorities go through each vehicle. like any fire they can be investigated to find the cause .
the reports are very extensive and list all probable causes .
get caught overloaded after an accident and god help you if its a fatal.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
hi jock .as a fire fighter i,m sure you know about fatal accidents and how the authorities go through each vehicle. like any fire they can be investigated to find the cause .
the reports are very extensive and list all probable causes .
get caught overloaded after an accident and god help you if its a fatal.
Absolutely right Alan, and spot on.

I wouldn't dare argue with the above.

However, I was referring to your post at 13.10, which didn't make much sense to me, hence my reply, "that you are on something that we'd all like to try", with the attached smiley. A bit of a tongue and cheek comment TBH

Absolutely no offence was meant Alan, and if any has been taken, I am happy to apologise publicly, as well as profusely. :Sad:

Best regards,

Jock. (Former Firefighter)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no offence taken ,all ok . i do sometimes get abit mixed up.
i was trying to say i had seen reports of a fatal accident.
i also had to attend the inquest. it was amazing how much information they can get from skid marks etc and the vehicle inspections.
glad i wasnt over weight .
if you are you pay a part in the blame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
no offence taken ,all ok . i do sometimes get abit mixed up.
i was trying to say i had seen reports of a fatal accident.
i also had to attend the inquest. it was amazing how much information they can get from skid marks etc and the vehicle inspections.
glad i wasnt over weight .
if you are you pay a part in the blame.

Agreed up to a point. As we know, uprating the gross weight of a vehicle is often only a paper exercise so if I was 250 kg overweight it is hardly dangerous.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agreed up to a point. As we know, uprating the gross weight of a vehicle is often only a paper exercise so if I was 250 kg overweight it is hardly dangerous.

I would agree in principle there but when a vehicle is overloaded there are many points that should be considered for instance Brakes - Tyres - Springs - Shock absorbers - wheel bearing etc . on the safety side and even down to lights blinding oncoming traffic. Like VWalan I dislike overloading - everything has a design weight loading and once you exceed that factor you are basically asking for trouble. Without appearing arrogant if you cannot work within the limits of the vehicle you should either as derekfaeberwick says uprate the vehicle - with some this paperwork when it has been down rated or do the mechancal bits and uprate or change the vehicle to a larger one more suited

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
looking on the black side if you are overloaded and get involved in a fatal you may get the blame .yes its not dangerous sometimes, but can you carry the blame in your mind if they were to say because you were overloaded it was your fault . believe me when i say, i was innocent. my truck went over a volvo car with a family in . they were all ok. but it played on my mind ,what if. imagine they were killed and i had been blamed .could i live with the thought.
the driver that caused the accident died ,but i still have to live the nightmare.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

adding 250kg is not just a paper exercise. Only feasible if van has been built on a stronger chassis initially, only then it can be upgrade simply. and at the end of the day it is the rear axle capacity that governs all.......

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
adding 250kg is not just a paper exercise. Only feasible if van has been built on a stronger chassis initially, only then it can be upgrade simply. and at the end of the day it is the rear axle capacity that governs all.......

Not what I said, also the rear axle does not govern all.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
exactly.....my kontiki is built on an Alko 3850kg chassis which has rear suspension designed for the increased load.
i think a lot of 'standard chassis' are actually factory rated higher than the plated weight but are brought below 3500kg for 'New' driving licence reasons. (after '97 you can only drive upto 3500kg on a basic C1 licence)

not sure if mine could be uprated to 4100kg because of this.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back