overweight fines

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pappajohn, Nov 21, 2009.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

reading this months MMM and came across this......

an overloaded vehicle can be fined as follows.....

up to 10% overweight = £60

10% up to, but not including 15% =£120

15% and over = £200

over 30% = court summons.....courts can impose a fine of up to £5000 PER AXLE. Tag axles beware !

no mention of penalty points but its not the end of the world if your just a bit over.
    invalid insurance should be more of a concern

2. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

similar idea in france , but there the roof starts to fall in at 5% over

and , according to french websites , the gendarmerie have been instructed to tighten up on this .....almost no-one has a licence to drive a more than 3.5 tonne vehicle , and the number of overweight vehicles has become a scandal [ and in uk from what I hear ]

in order to help , the government has re-introduced grandfather rights for over 3.5 tonnes ...FOR MOTORHOMES ONLY ...but this means people who held a licence before 1975 when driving licences were changed to 3.5 tonnes, so the number of people with this is getting smaller all the time

however , even with this concession there is a big problem ; although many motorhomes can be easily upgraded to 3.85 or similar , it costs a small fortune to do so ....insurance zooms , motorway tolls also ; speed limits drop to the same as trucks , stickers all over the back [ for foreign vehicles as well apparently ]

if you are travelling through france , be warned , it's becoming flavour of the month ; don't forget the gendarmerie are not only ALLOWED to make random checks , they are INSTRUCTED to do so

so the majority of people seem to be taking the decision to overload , but only up to 5% ; to simplify , in french law this is a minor offence , on the spot fine ; more than that and the wheels of the law start to grind exceeding small !

3. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Guess plod will be very keen on this type of thing, zero effort on their behalf, huge contributions to the treasury and with 80% of motorhomes being overloading in 1 way or another its just a real easy way of boosting the "crimes detected" figures.

All you Eurovan owner be careful.:cry::Angry:

RV owners.....just carry on, youve got another 1/2 ton of spare capacity even with the 2 scooters in the garage, enough food to feed an army and enough water in the tanks to fill an Olympic swimming pool :thumb::Wink:

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

5. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Nice system, pricey I would think though.

6. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Notice there is no mention of cost :Angry: Bet its not cheap to buy or to have fitted :cry:

7. pappajohn

8. scotjimland

Most probably John, but there is a big potential market .. and I bet plenty would be interested if it were at a reasonable cost ..

now there's an idea to take to the Dragons :thumb:

perhaps one day it will be an option on a new MH.

or even made mandatory ..

jim

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the down side is after you have fitted them and got them working .weigh the camper and find out you may have lost 5-10 kg of payload due to the weight of them .oh i forgot the payload is the same because they took 5kg of cash off you ,ha ha

10. scotjimland

no need to weigh 5 - 10kg.. Alan, modern load cells are very compact and could be integrated into the CAN bus system .. further reducing costs ..

Sensor-Technik UK's free Guide to CANbus

jim

11. zulurita

zulurita Funster

Looks good, I would be very interested if it was reasonably priced.

Looks like I had better go to the weighbridge before next trip abroad.

12. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Dont worry about driving overweight in France. Its easy, just drive between 2pm and 5pm because as everyone knows for some reason everyone in France seems to mysteriously disappear around these times. In three months in and out of France this summer we saw two road side checks. One by a lake in Burgandy where they were breath testing the odd motorist in the mid afternoon and one in Finistaire where they stopped us on the bike and for once we had the upper hand with the French not being able to speak English. I could have handed him my P45 and he wouldnt have known what it was! Apart from that never seen a Gendarme anywhere.

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if most of you called into a weigh bridge when you see one i think you could be suprised how much your vehicle weighs .there are hundreds of them throughout the country . do it .it may cost about 3 quid sometimes just a can of beer if you dont want a ticket. its not to frighten you but to make you aware of how easy it is to overload. dont forget to add the weight of passengers if not on board.
    think what else you normally take with you try and guess the weight then load it and do it again . its quite interesting how far you will be out.

14. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Or you could just drive over the swiss border and get weighed for free. Its great cos they give you a print out, look disgruntled as they cant beleive your under 3500KG in a 7.5 metre van with a motorbike on the back. Everytime we crossed over we got pulled.

We got weighed with everything in before our trip and we were about 90kg under but 20KG over on the back axle. Easy to shift stuff around but the back axle is always going to be around the limit.

15. patr

patr Read Only Funster

Dave Newell has an axle weighing scale on his website

Dave Newell - Motorhome, Habitation, Servicing, Cruise Control, Camos Domes, Satelite Tv, Reversing Cameras

click on 'mail order' and scroll down the page to the picture of a digital scale that you drive on.

"Avoid getting caught overloaded with this very reasonably priced device, it can weigh upto 1000kg per wheel. Very simple to us device just weigh each wheel individually and this device can give you your total weight.

£127.50 inc VAT plus P&P"

Absolutely no idea of accuracy but it seems a clever idea and is probably a lot cheaper than the built in sensor type.

Has any one got this device, and if so, how do you find it?

16. pappajohn

no good for me then....my rear axle has a gross of 2500kg

17. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Is yours a super duper Kontiki axle Pusser as Im sure mines only 1750KG and I think its the same van. I Could be wrong of course, it has been known.

BD

18. pappajohn

no...i'm wrong.

3850kg gross

1850kg front

2120kg rear

5500kg train

19. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Ah so you have had it replated. I thought about that but as its on the limit and we are not quite over I didnt bother. Did you upgrade the van or just do the paperwork? Just out of interest.

BD

Just realised I called you Pusser! Oh dear, sorry, another forum, another life!

20. pappajohn

its built on an Alko 3850kg chassis so been that weight since converted.

was confused over the 'pusser' bit...thought for a minute swift had produced a 'pusher' model:Rofl1: