Overstay Parking "Fine"

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by normanandsue, Jan 17, 2014.

1. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

I have just received a "Parking Charge" notice from a company called "Parking Eye"
    The fine states I overstayed the limited parking time on 4th January by 45 minutes.
    The reason this happened was due to us visiting 3 stores in the same retail park that all have separate car parks. (I realise this now but did not then)So rather than move the car across the road I stayed in the same car park and concluded all my business.

There have been several threads on this last year, but I can't find them now, suggesting this was not a legally enforceable fine and that I should either ignore the notice or send a part payment.

Could someone point me to the relevant thread or refresh my memory please?

Norman

2. lunarman

lunarman Funster

The daughter got a Parking charge notice for £70 from ASDA for parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge. The charge was increased because she had not responded within 14 days of the ticket on the windscreen. When we questioned this as she had a blue badge and no ticket had been put on the windscreen they they produced this picture.

They are now looking for an attendant who knows the different ends of a car. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
  3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There were two threads a few months ago Here and Here.

Whether you would get away with ignoring the notice or have to bear the consequences of the mistake probably depends on the current attitude of the company involved.

• Like Like x 1
  5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I paid my first two but ignored the last one. Eventually they gave up. All of them had been given unjustifiably in my opinion. Bear in mind they will make it really awkward for you in the hope you pay ... eg. asking for photos, receipts, etc., etc.... I even had a policewoman confirm I was parked legally .... I still had to keep replying to stupid mails from them.... If you think you are justified, then DON'T pay..

• Like Like x 1
  6. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

You should really not ignore the ticket... But they should provide you with a reference number for popla.. The best site to go to for advice is pepipoo.. You will need to register I think to post something but it's free and it is to tickets what mhf is to motorhomes... Good luck!

7. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Some interesting reading here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2294335

"If you get a parking note from anyone other than the police or the council.

Do not pay, Do not pay, Do not pay, These 'fines' are not fines, they are invoices and as such are unenforceable.

Ignore them at all costs and never acknowledge them."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Strictly speaking it's untrue to say these invoices are unenforceable. The main factor is how far the company will go to enforce it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

If they are 'debts' and that debt remains unpaid, could they register that debt with the credit reference agencies?

10. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Is there a danger here that the owners of the car parks will not get any revenue from those who use and abuse the facility and they could revert back to having barriers.

Funny how people think they can just park anywhere at any time and for free.:Blush:

Yes, some supermarket car parks have been abused and that one of the reasons why they have resorted to these tactics, again it’s the masses paying for the abuse of the few, as always.

Another example, is having to pay a deposit on trolleys, because some could not be bothered to return them.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The closest analogy I've seen to a parking fine is accidentally breaking an ornament in an antique shop having passed a sign on the door saying "All breakages must be paid for".

Nobody means to break the ornament, both he who does and owner are sorry and wish it hadn't happened but the damage has to be paid for. An antique shop (rather than another type of shop) is appropriate because the value of an antique is open to debate just as the sizes of parking charges are often criticised as too high.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

That actually is rubbish. And it's actually illegal to display that sign.

To display goods is the offer of a contract. As no contract has taken place, nothing can be done.

13. movan

not all offenders are at fault though. Overzealous bullyboy attendants were employed by the car park I ... and many others ... received fines on.

I was legally parked. They said they couldn't see the bottom part of mum's blue badge.. There was a policewoman there who when asked said that she could see it fine. Also, they put the ticket on the window when I left the car for two minutes to put rubbish in a bin and dashed away before I could collar them.... I wish my mum had hit them with her walking stick but it was a good day for her.:Cool:

Another woman was 'done' at the same time because she had parked on the ziggy bit next to the space on the car park. They gave her a load of abuse.

So there are always grey areas and exceptions.

PS they gave my 93 yr old neighbour a fine because he didn't turn the cardboard clock to a time... he wasn't aware he needed to when he had the blue badge on show on the public car park ... they had his arrival time on ctv. He didn't pay and they gave up asking.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Failed to return them??? Check your local canal, makes the average trolley park look like the inside of a pork butchers shop in Tel Aviv.
    Plus, they nick them for scrap, but they don't get a quid for them, hence the £1.00 charge.

15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

It is a (very small) gamble but if you ignore them they will probably go away in the end.

I had a 'fine' for parking in a disabled space a couple of years ago. Doesn't sound unreasonable you may say…………….

BUT………….. it was 5 pm in the afternoon in January, cold, wet, dark and not a SINGLE car apart from me in over 200 spaces!!

I parked in the disabled space just to quickly pop in and out of Halfords and avoid getting wet. I used common sense and figured that there was plenty of space for anyone else while I did this.

The over zealous parking attendant issue the fine and disappeared before I got back.

These companies are well known for their bully boy tactics and rather threatening letters.

I would say that if you are uncomfortable with the grief and bullying you will receive then pay the fine for peace of mind. If you fancy a fight then don't pay………….. they might give up in the end.

It's a choice only you can make. We re all on the sidelines. Good luck :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  16. lorger

lorger Funster

Norman I'm sure you'll do whatevz you feel is the right thing todo.

As for the shopping trolleys is it not to save the supermarkets employing someone to do this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. milpol1

milpol1 Read Only Funster

Please go to this website....http://forums.pepipoo.com/

They are a fantastic bunch and will help, I managed to get off a penalty charge with there help.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Can you point us to the legislation which makes it illegal to display the sign?

I agree that in the case of the shop breakage it is not contract law which has effect but the tort of negligence. However, the point is the analogy that the negligence which caused the breakage is equivalent to a mistake in overstaying a parking limit. The effect of both is the same, that a liability is created.

19. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I think you should just pay it.

If you and everybody else doesn't pay their "parking fines" the employees of the parking enforcemnent companies could be made redundant, they will then be entitled to state benefits because they will not want to return to home nation, these benefits will add to the nations debt, you will then entail the wrauth of Mr. Osbourne as he will not be able to balance the nations books, this in turn could lead to further austerity measures which will affect many poor people who will then vote for UKIP at the next general election which in turn could cause the country to leave Europe which could, in turn cause the collapse of the European Union and every nation becoming nationalistic and subsequently a war could break out.

So it's all your fault for not paying your "parking fine":Blush::Blush:

The whole world is waiting for you to pay.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  20. movan

:Eek!: .... I'm on my way to the post box right now.....:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2