Overseas Travel And Vehicle Breakdown Insurance.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wixie, May 4, 2015.

1. Wixie

Wixie Funster

I currently use the "Red Pennant" travel and vehicle breakdown insurance from the Caravan Club for trips to Europe.
    The policy costs us approx £330 per year in addition to the £46 Caravan Club membership fee.
    Although this insurance is a very good product, it is getting increasingly expensive particularly as we do not use the CC 's sites or services.
    I would be interested to know what insurance Funsters use when travelling overseas. Are there cheaper policies offered by other organisations or companies?
    Looking forward to your replies.

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i use cpmfort which includes all my overseas journey and full breakdown in europe and uk my polisy at the moment is £340 i have never found anything to do with the cc to be cheap

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bollard

Bollard Funster

Comfort Insurance: Fully comprehensive with European Breakdown protected no claim etc. £339 this year all inclusive. Never had to use them thankfully but Comfort normally voted as very good by users!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

I use Safeguard, this policy includes UNLIMITED European travel & cover. We also got a discount for storing our MH with a CaSSOA registered facility. Our premium for the year is just under £300.00. Superb value.
    Thanks Antony

• Like Like x 1
  5. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Ditto(y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    I am very interested in this topic,however,the sums quoted by the members who use Comfort are. £339 and £340,have to add £46 for CC membership fee.
    I have NO axe to grind with Comfort,all my enquiries about insurance with them have been first class and everything explained fully,so it would appear that the CC are not to far off the mark.
    We are not with either company at the moment,but would like a member to post about ADAC ? I would like to know what a similar package,if possible, with them would cost. Thanks in advance for any info.
    Tea Bag.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wixie

Wixie Funster

Thanks for all quick your replies.
    Does the Comfort and Safeguard European cover include travel insurance i.e. medical insurance, etc or is it just vehicle breakdown cover? If not what do you use for medical cover, etc?
    The CC Red Pennant does cover everything - European m/h breakdown, medical cover, hospital & hotel costs & vehicle repatriation and personnel recovery. Maybe that's why it's more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bollard

Bollard Funster

The cover with Comfort Insurance is for 365 day breakdown cover AND fully comprehensive Motorhomes insurance for a 4 ton Adria Coral 7.2 metre. Travel health insurance is NOT COVERED and a separate item entirely. We have also found both main clubs good but mote expensive. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bollard

Bollard Funster

We are finding annual multi-trip insurance for my wife and I has rocketed since we both reached 65 with a few not very serious health problems. We were paying prior to reaching 65 around £350 for both of us NOT EACH but we're then quoted virtually double when the renewal came through having both reached 65. We have never made a claim on any health policy. They also restricted the length of time limiting to 60 days in any one trip.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

ADAC .. about €100 .. for partner plus.. covers us in any vehicle in Europe or Morocco.
    Can't imagine any of those others come close to be honest .. there are plenty if posts on the services you get with ADAC partner plus ..
    I have this years renewals to sort out this week so I'm glad this reminded me

### I have just put an adac conditions booklet copy in resources as a download if that helps.. it's not the latest but it's pretty accurate ###

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi sdc77.
    We will be giving them a ring,when we import m/h into Portugal, thanks for the info. I did not want to hijack the thread,but you cannot beat first hand knowledge.Thanks again.
    Tea Bag
    PS. Get it SORTED !LOL

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wixie

Wixie Funster

Thanks again for all the very interesting info.
    I thought maybe the Comfort policy did not include the Travel insurance element. Still very good value however. One of us has reached the 65 mark this year, so it will be interesting to see if the CC use it has an excuse to raise the renewal premium. We will certainly look to switch then if possible.
    I'm also going to look into the ADAC policy .....providing it's all in English, to see if they do the "Travel/Personal" element as well.

13. rich g

rich g Funster

I have just insured my M.H with motorhome facts insurance and got European Breakdown cover for £59.00.
    I enquired about Red Pennant as we are going to France next with the CC,but to expencive.

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The last I heard ADAC not taking on new members from the UK but I suggest calling them on their German number (they speak English) and see if you strike lucky.

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

They do take on new members ...

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You've done it recently? Things have changed if they have. Last year they were letting people renew but not join. Good news if they are now allowing us in. They are probably the best.

17. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

MH Facts is Comfort, same girl answers the phone.
    We use Comfort, at the monent the van is still under warranty but will take the Comfort Breakdown cover when it runs out, £58 and it's done through the RAC.

For Medical cover we use our Lloyds Bank account covers up to 80 years old, and probably has one of the longest list of pre-existing medical problems you don't need to declare.

Lloyds info
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Regarding Adac.. There has never been a policy apparently of no British joiners.. Just some posts on some forums and some rumour. Easiest way is to just call and ask.. Have your payment card handy as the only way to join is by phone... Watch this space and I'll ask them either later today or tomorrow when I renew.. For that final final final.... final.. :D.. answer

• Like Like x 1
  19. 15edward

15edward Funster

We' been with ADAC For a few years. They're great, never had anything but the best service. However last call out we had to deal with the AA . They're ADACs UK partner. They were atrocious. Took endless calls from both ADAC and us for any response. Sent two wrong breakdown trucks, hassled up front for emailed confirmation of ability to pay extra towing ( how do you do that by the side of the road?) took 24 hours for appropriate response.
    I'm opening a Nationwide Flexplus account - the £10 a month fee will give me Brittania European cover and other benefits. Slightly more than ADAC Partner Plus but I'll not have to deal with the discourteous, inefficient AA

20. jac-in-a-box

jac-in-a-box Read Only Funster

That's what I've done, dirt cheap if you can leave £2500 in your account that gives 3% interest....£75 a year. Costs you a tenner a month in account fee's. Take one from another and I'm getting Europe wide breakdown cover, travel insurance and a whole host of other benefits for £45 a year - can't be bad?

Opened the account using some sort of Skype affair in branch, got the advisor to confirm (and note next to my account) that motorhomes over 7.5m and 3.8t Are covered...happy chappy!