LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I plan to go to the NEC in Feb for many accessory bargains and a chat with @eddievanbitz :D. I have read past threads ref staying prior to and many lead to the C&CC sites. I have been on their web sites and it appears that they only book for a few days and not just the one that I will need. Therefore, are there any other sites / places to stay near (ish) by for an over night or maybe for a second evening; depands on how shattered I get parting with cash all day:LOL:. Maybe Up Thurs eve and back again Fri after the show / Sat morning.

Deleted User
Caravan Club, have a temp site at the NEC, but it's expensive. Think about £30-£35 a night.
We have stayed at Brownhills before as we bought our MH from them, and for us was significantly closer than home and about the only positive thing we have found about them, the pool, Jacuzzi and sauna are good.

Lin :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Can stay at Airport Travelodge hotel from £29 per night (plus £7.50 parking)Broken Link Removed so will probably full of motorhomers for both February & October Shows as almost as cheap as camping! We have stayed at Holiday Inn Express NEC in previous years (loads of motorhomers) but rates too high to be viable this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on and off since 1980
Toby Carvery said that they are ok with a motorhome staying overnight in their parking area, so long as I make prior arrangement with the manager and have either an evening meal or breakfast. There is one not far from the NEC

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When we came down in oct fuuny Enough to speak with Eddie and my van is in today getting the jobs done.
Back to your question we stayed at a hotel in Coventry and on our way to NEC on the Sunday morning we passed a Toby carvery and the car park had about 30 MHs in it so must have stayd the night.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have stayed at the C & CC site at Kingsbury water park in the past and approx a 15/20 minute drive to the NEC. Have also stayed at Somerswood commercial site which is very close but not cheap!!

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
C&CC Site at Kingsbury is close as is Sumners Wood in Meriden, both used by visitors to the NEC.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Caravan Club, have a temp site at the NEC, but it's expensive. Think about £30-£35 a night.
We have stayed at Brownhills before as we bought our MH from them, and for us was significantly closer than home and about the only positive thing we have found about them, the pool, Jacuzzi and sauna are good.

Lin :)
Just looked at that
Electric bar cafe entertainment (looks naff) and shuttle bus into event
So we possibly may give it a go for Friday and Saturday make our minds up this weekend

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We used Lairhillock camp site, as Alan was attending a meeting of an aircraft preservation group he belongs to. I dropped him off at the museum at Coventry Airport and drove to NEC on my own. Site is listed with Camping and Caravan Club, reasonable price and easy drive for NEC.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
There is a resevoir/car park near to the NEC where we stayed a few times wild camping. It has loads of spaces and we didnt get any trouble. If interested I will look out the cordinates and PM them over. There is a nice pub across the road which does some good food as well, it gets busy in there though as the C&CC users use it.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We used Chapel Lane CC Site at Wythall a couple of years ago - about 15 minutes drive from the NEC.

We just turned up and there were loads of pitches available despite it saying they were full on the useless Caravan Club online booking site.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
There is a resevoir/car park near to the NEC where we stayed a few times wild camping. It has loads of spaces and we didnt get any trouble. If interested I will look out the cordinates and PM them over. There is a nice pub across the road which does some good food as well, it gets busy in there though as the C&CC users use it.
If you could @zzzzac that would be great. Never done the "Wild Thing" so maybe a good opportunity to try. I have looked at some of these C&CC sites, but they have a minimum stay, so may have to phone site themselves rather that the online booking site.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We used Chapel Lane CC Site at Wythall a couple of years ago - about 15 minutes drive from the NEC.

We just turned up and there were loads of pitches available despite it saying they were full on the useless Caravan Club online booking site.
Just checked and the site says it is full so may just give them a call. Do you have to be a member of the CC?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Pretty sure this is still going and only 10-15 mins from NEC.
Broken Link Removed

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just checked and the site says it is full so may just give them a call. Do you have to be a member of the CC?
Think non CC members just pay more per night. Always worth calling site as normally some space that they know they have that is not on the web booking system yet. Even if they can't help they will probably know of other places to stay :)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just checked & Chapel Lane does take non members & showing on web booking as full that week but worth a call especially if you only want a night or two
  • Chapel Lane,Wythall,Birmingham,West Midlands,B47 6JX
  • 01564 826483

Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
We stayed on the CC temporary site last year, expensive yes but conveinient. The evening entertainment looked naff on paper but turned out to be a really good evening (Roy Carter from 70s band Heatwave) glad most of the unsociable one stayed in their vans to watch Eastenders we had a really good view and could get to the bar dead easy.

The thing I was most disappointed about with the whole show was the lack of accessories (our prime reason for going).

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Another recommendation here for the Stonebridge Toby Carvery > .

We arrived late one Friday evening and made ourselves known to the manager had a couple of drinks that night and filled up on the Breakfast buffet following morning at 8:00am.

Ideal for the day ahead at the NEC!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hollyfast near Allesley (near where the Jag. at Browns Lane was) is also relatively near - it is a Club site but they take non members - think I passed on their name on to someone else who couldn't get in at any of the more obvious ones last year - not sure if they stayed there or not. But anyway - I and others are on 'UK Campsites' with reviews. I know they charge £1/night extra when there's anything on at the NEC which tells me a LOT of folk use it for such events!

Pete says the Horse & Jock is nearer the NEC though - and he should know being local. We're not far away, but have no room to house anyone other than us.

I think you'll find the carpark near the reservoir that someone has mentioned, might actually be at Kingsbury Water Park itself (can't personally think of another res that near) and there had used to be a number of their carparks on the various lakes you could get on FoC in the past - but not sure there are ANY now. But anyway the Water Park has a website so have a look if you want to. If the more remote carparks are like the main one, you have to put your money in the slot to lift the barrier to even get in.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Only here do they not provide free facilities and free overnight parking at a camping show (and get away with it :doh::doh:

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Caravan club NEC showground, if you are lucky, probably fully booked by now. Grey and black waste diposal, ehu 6amp plus free entertainment. Hard standing area £35, other area £30. Free bus to show nearby. Saves a lot of hastle.
Generally everywhere is booked well in advance of the show.

DelMar

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Used Drayton Manor campsite... 13 miles or so from nec I think... found it to be a nice site..
Ta andy

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
We stayed on the CC temporary site last year, expensive yes but conveinient. The evening entertainment looked naff on paper but turned out to be a really good evening (Roy Carter from 70s band Heatwave) glad most of the unsociable one stayed in their vans to watch Eastenders we had a really good view and could get to the bar dead easy.

The thing I was most disappointed about with the whole show was the lack of accessories (our prime reason for going).
Why call others unsociable because they are probably nackered after walking around a large exhibition all day.
And certainly do not want to pay inflated prices for a drink.
We can sit with friends in our van and have a drink, and talk normally without listening to someone that may have been able to sing 40 years ago but will pass on what they are like know.
Anyhow found it a lot cheaper and convenient to stay at chapel lane CC site.(y)

Last edited:

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
There's a reservoir car park a few miles away (the name escapes me) that we overnighted at last year along with half a dozen other motorhomes
Nice and quiet, then drive to the NEC and park for free for the day in their car park

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just booked a pitch at the CC temporary site for the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. That way we can have a leisurely drive down on the Wednesday, attend the show on Thursday and Friday and have a leisurely drive back on the Saturday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back