Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Funsters!

I have been advised I can stay overnight at CitiEurope as I have a late night tunnel crossing inbound to France. Would like to hear from others with regard to their experiences of this, is it ok? any concerns? should we be aware of anythng?:Confused:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi ford, never stayed overnight, but we have used the carpark while the wife went shopping, its well lit and over looked by the tunnel police station, so I assume its fairly safe.

Olley

L

liverpool

Deleted User
we were there last september - they have increased security but we didnt feel it was safe to stay overnight .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Stopped a few times but have not stayed overnight. As Olley has said, its over viewed by the police station and I would have no hesitation in staying as many do.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi We stayed there last year like you came off tunnel early hours when we stayed we shared it with about 10 others. When we arrived the entrance had a chain over it but it just unclips.

We also stayed for the night on the way home loads of resturants in cite europa and big super market for fresh bread also has cinema and ten pin bowling which we used.

I would highly recommend this as a stopover.

Gerry

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just to add a note of caution, somebody posted that they saw a motorhome broken in to during the day there last year. Could happen anywhere I know.

Olley

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have stayed there a couple of times, no problem. Though we did have a tremendous storm one night which started with an 'explosion' of thunder, I thought they had blown the tunnel up! Then the car park was awash with hail. Interesting night! Jane

Mangled

Free Member
Mar 11, 2010
Kent
Funster No
Exp
4 Years
Hi
I stayed there with the other half and the kids last Easter. No problems at all in fact the police station is just over the way and we are planning to stop there again in August when going back to Eurodisney.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
Never stayed there but know a few who have.
Did ou know there is a big aire at Bleriot plage about 5-10 mins from the tunnel with spaces for about 40 vans and water waste ect. Cost about 7 euro if you get caught but a late arrival and early depart may aviod this.

I am going over on 12th and will stay there. Its nioce being near to the sea and there is food and shopping nearby

Phill

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Hi we always stay here Link Removed

About 45 mins from Calais

On various forums I have been on, staying at a motorway aires has always been a big NO.

Have you stayed at this aires takeaflight?

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
On various forums I have been on, staying at a motorway aires has always been a big NO.

Yes many times, its situated on a Péage. There are two parking areas one with the HGV's can be a bit noisey with lorry's coming and going, the other is a much quieter spot in a dedicated area for motorhomes and caravans only. Security patrol through the night and every time I have stayed a police car drives around the complete facility in the morning.

Great if you have a dog, there is plenty of space set aside as a reserve for them to have a run around. 24hr restaurant, they even have blue lighting sunken into the ground so you can find your way back to the parking area. There is also water filling and a WC emptying point.

All free.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've used Cite Europe on quite a few occasions and have never had a problem at all. It is ideally situated for a overnight stop if you're getting a late crossing to France, similarly if you've got an early crossing back to the UK too.

As for stopping on the 'Baie' motorway aire, or any for that matter, not a chance!!! Believe me I've had trouble on an official new village Dutch aire (£2,400 damage - wrong place, wrong time) and I certainly won't go looking for it! I hasten to add though that this has NOT stopped us using aires at all, but I won't use a motorway one, no matter how tired etc I am.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years

:Smile:Hi we have stayed several time's with no problem it can be a bit quite at times around the back but if feeling unsafe we park at the front and there always police around free electric at the dedicated parking at the front and water :Smile:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
On our last short trip a couple of months ago we spent two nights at the baie de somme, first and last with the security as mentioned, we also spent a night at Mont-Saint-Michel aire which is part of a car park, no security as far as I am aware of. One night we spent on a campsite on a pitch at the rear, there was an open gate onto the beach that anyone could access.

All I would say is if for any reason what so ever and where ever, if you do not feel comfortable then don't stay.

We even spent a few hours at the Pet check in at the tunnel, I was staggered at the comings and going of shifty looking characters with not a pet in site to check in.

OP
OP
F

ford

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
big thank you to all funstars

thank you all , off in two weeks time.Three weeks in south of france yippee::bigsmile:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
thank you all , off in two weeks time.Three weeks in south of france yippee::bigsmile:

Bon voyage - we're jealous!

We came off the ferry at about midnight one time, headed for Cite d'Europe and drove round in circles for ages. Eventually found a supermarket car park without a height barrier, with a couple of m/h's esconced, and slept the sleep of the innocent and knackered!

We found Baie de Somme busy, although you can get on to a car park at the back of the services via a small road off the peage. It's alongside the water and a bit quieter than the services proper.

We've only used aires a few times, and hardly ever use sites, but have always managed to find somewhere that feels safe and quiet - probably easier for us with The Rosabella being titchy.

There's a few descriptions and maps on the blog (link below).

We're heading off to France later in the year planning to head for Perpignan then getting the ferry from Barcelona to Genoa before heading back along the Riviera to the area around Port Grimaud where we have friends. We're not planning on using any formal sites - it always makes life interesting, not being sure where we're going to end up.

Happy days!

Wilburys

Free Member
Feb 1, 2010
Little Cawthorpe Lincs
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi Funsters!

I have been advised I can stay overnight at CitiEurope as I have a late night tunnel crossing inbound to France. Would like to hear from others with regard to their experiences of this, is it ok? any concerns? should we be aware of anythng?:Confused:
Havnt heard of anything bad there,intend to do the same thing later in the month,friend of ours stay regular:thumb:
Have a good trip

Wilburys

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Yes many times, its situated on a Péage. There are two parking areas one with the HGV's can be a bit noisey with lorry's coming and going, the other is a much quieter spot in a dedicated area for motorhomes and caravans only. Security patrol through the night and every time I have stayed a police car drives around the complete facility in the morning.

Great if you have a dog, there is plenty of space set aside as a reserve for them to have a run around. 24hr restaurant, they even have blue lighting sunken into the ground so you can find your way back to the parking area. There is also water filling and a WC emptying point.

All free.

Thanks for the info. Going across on Monday for 2/3 months so may give it a go

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
another nice aire not far from Calias is gravellines about 15-20 mins drive halfway to dunkirk. Its alongside the harbout but very pretty and you can watch them landing fish if the tide is right. Spaces for bigger vans on too. free but no facilities

The Bourne (service point) signed in some books a short drive away is no longer there so make sure things are topped up and emptied where necessary

Cheers
Phill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back