overnight stops (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi,
Have been trolling the internet and found this website probably been shown before but thought it might be of interest to those looking for the Aires type overnight stop overs.

Regards Rob and Chris. xxx

arthurstoat

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
BOURNEMOUTH AND SPAIN
Funster No
Exp
Missing link?

:ROFLMAO:
Hi,
Have been trolling the internet and found this website probably been shown before but thought it might be of interest to those looking for the Aires type overnight stop overs.

Regards Rob and Chris. xxx

YES BU DID YOU INTEND TO ADD A LINK TO THE EB SITE YOU FOUND?

regards helen & steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Wow. There are actually places in the UK where a motorhome is welcome!! Most requiring payment, of course.

This reminds me of why I now live in France! :Smile:

Here in Brittany must be the most Camping Car friendly place on earth. Camping Cars are allowed by law to spend one night in any public place where they are not causing a nuisance or obstruction. And no payment is asked for.::bigsmile: I have spent nights in town centre car parks in France - very convenient. Imagine that in the UK? Hmmm....

Aires on Motorways and other major roads (provided for the safety and convenience of the taxpayers who pay for them) are free and most have basic facilities for Camping Cars.

Most villages provide dedicated parking places with facilities which are free of charge (some with electric hook-up for a couple of Euro per day).

The most scandalous thing in the UK is the charging of parking fees at Motorway services. At night the car parks are all but deserted, HGVs and Camping Cars being consigned to the unsafe lay-bys. I do not know why the Government is allowed to get away with this. They have hived off the running of the car parks (the collecting of fees) to private companies. The car parks were built using Taxpayer's funds and are maintained by the taxpayer. Why is it necessary to employ a company to charge parking fees? Hardly anyone pays, of course. And where is the safety aspect? After arriving on a ferry from overseas, a visitor may not understand the signs showing the time limits and charges, and park up and fall asleep. When he wakes he is likely to find that he has been clamped and has a big bill and a lot of hassle to get going again.:Angry:

Only in the UK, eh?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)The most scandalous thing in the UK is the charging of parking fees at Motorway services. At night the car parks are all but deserted, HGVs and Camping Cars being consigned to the unsafe lay-bys. I do not know why the Government is allowed to get away with this. They have hived off the running of the car parks (the collecting of fees) to private companies. The car parks were built using Taxpayer's funds and are maintained by the taxpayer. Why is it necessary to employ a company to charge parking fees? Hardly anyone pays, of course. And where is the safety aspect? After arriving on a ferry from overseas, a visitor may not understand the signs showing the time limits and charges, and park up and fall asleep. When he wakes he is likely to find that he has been clamped and has a big bill and a lot of hassle to get going again.

I don't think it's the case that MSAs were built using taxpayers' funds and are maintained by the taxpayer, is it? Weren't all MSAs built (and subsequently maintained) by private companies under franchise agreements? As the Highways Agency told me, "The Motorway Service Areas (MSA) in England are all privately run by commercial companies operating under licences and agreements entered with the Highways Agency ("the Agency"), which acts on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport in such matters."

See the History section Here.

It's important to remember, also, that MSA parking is primarily designed for short breaks of up to 2 hours; they are not ersatz camp sites. Anyone knowing that they are undertaking a long journey which will entail an overnight stop has ample opportuinty to plan it to include an appropriate place to stay the night.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
safety parking

Ah, so when we all see those "Don`t drive if feeling sleepy signs"
the goverment por road agency etc etc don`t mean sleep to recharge your batteries until you are safe again, they mean grab 2 hrs and move on safely or not.

Come on we all know the charges are to stop the so called gypsies or new age travellers from parking up.

As with everything in the uk it`s pay or don`t enter, we appear to have travelled the world and brought back the worst of all the systems.

Regards Rob and Chris.

ps soap box put away now. :Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back