Overnight stop Whitby

Discussion in 'England' started by sueone, Aug 27, 2014.

1. sueone

sueone Read Only Funster

Hello. I'm hoping to make a trip up to Scotland later this year . Does anyone know of a suitable overnight (free!!) stop close to Whitby? Thanks.

2. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

There is a car park on the A169 its on the left at the top of Blue Bank before you drop down in to Sleights which is a couple of miles out of Whitby.

However, be careful around Whitby as Scarborough Borough Council are anti-motorhomes !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy

Andy Funster

Hi sueone, depending how big your M/h is, there are spots on the moors above Whitby. (I take it as you specifically Whitby, you are taking the coastal route up, as opposed to A19 or A1(M) )
    I know there are some large-ish layby's on the road heading out of Hutton-Le-Hole, up onto Blakey Ridge, - there's the Lion ph up there with a large car park who, may be approachable to you stopping there overnight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

They are definitely approachable.
    Stayed there myself on more than one occasion

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andy

Andy Funster

Thought they might be, been a while since I was in there, but remember it to be a good pub; (well out of tourist season, anyways :))
    Use to walk up to it when I ran the youth hostel in Westerdale

• Like Like x 1
  6. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

The food is still brilliant but it gets crowded in peak holiday season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi Funster

Hi sueone,
    We had a couple of nights just off the main road between Scarborough and Whitby,it's 9 miles out of Whitby heading towards Scarborough on the right hand side,it's a slip road off to your right,you can't really miss it if you clock your mileage out of Whitby,it's nice&quiet overnight a bit remote but who cares,it's a spot used regularly by local motor homers,so you probably won't be alone there,at 7am a mobile snack bar arrives and sets up cos truckers pull in for acuppa and butty,well worth finding,your only other option is on the harbour car park opposite the co-op car park but it'll cost you £6.50 for 24 hours parking,and I was assured by the council parking warden that as long you've got a valid 24 hour ticket there's no problem, because there's NO "no over- -night SLEEPING" restriction,I noticed someone suggested "blue bank car park" we were advised by local moto-
    rcaravanners to avoid this spot at all costs,due to "VERY UNWELCOME ATTENTION" FROM LOCALS,also mentioned above,hope this helps you.GWYNTAXI

• Like Like x 1
  8. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We have stayed overnight at blue bank and had no problem, unless it's windy, then it's a bit scary late at night

• Like Like x 1
  9. gwyntaxi

gwyntaxi Funster

Ref; very unwelcome attention from locals,i have had any personal experience of this myself just passing on welcome advice from other genuine motorcaravanners who were just trying to be helpful,personally I see no point in asking for good advice and then ignoring it,so you have to make your own mind up on that one i'm afraid,your choice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sueone

sueone Read Only Funster

Thank you one and all for your replies which I have only just seen. Have been down in dorset for the GDSF. Fab do as usual but oh boy what a pain to get in thru that mud. In the queue to our field for five hours. Had to be pulled out by tractor four times. Also no decent phone reception so could not go online. Will have to get this mobile internet stuff pinned down or how else can I stay in touch with fellow funsters whilst I'm on the road. .

11. Andy

Andy Funster

Blue bank, when I lived up there was quite well known as a local 'dogging' spot (although not known by that name then).......:cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Oooer missus ! :blush:
    That'll be why Ken likes the spot ;)

Joking aside,

If you don't mind putting your hand in your pocket , the CL behind the fox and rabbit is nice and very quiet , safe and cheap.
    Hook up if wanted.
    Plus the pub does excellent food and has nice real ale too.
    http://www.foxandrabbit.co.uk/
    Not the CCC at the side , ( more expensive) it's the farm around the back.
    We stayed a couple of weeks ago for a night. It back right on to the edge of Dalby Forrest too. Great place to get lost with the dogs :rofl: Literally .

13. kcy

kcy Funster

What's that mean?

14. Andy

Andy Funster

Umm, well from what I understand, not having participated in such activities, you understand, o_O summat to do with ladies meeting guys for mutual :censored:

15. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have used blue bank a couple of times other than a couple of kids with cars had no problems it is a bit remote though

16. kcy

kcy Funster

:rolleyes:

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't know when you received that advice but assume that it is some years ago because things have changed in Whitby. Motorhomes are prohibited from using most car parks overnight and overnight habitation is banned in all Whitby council car parks.

18. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

Contact the Inn on the moor at goathland , i spoke on the phone last year to the manager and he said no problem , no charge but it would be only fair to go in for a drink , the meals were good and sensibly priced , it is on the right as you enter the village from the whitby road , just up from the station behind Scrips Garage ....... we have also over nighted on the moor top on the road down to goathland and on the other road going to Beck Hole , but dont go down to beck hole in the mh unless you are quite small ,

• Like Like x 1
  19. Andy

Andy Funster

:Eeek::Eeek:And this is VERY good advice, there is an 'interesting ':whistle::whistle: set of bends just past the pub, indeed it is the custom of beer garden dwellers, in the tourist months to lay bets on who will/ will not make it up and around them without crunching gears/ having a panic-y moment :eek::eek:

20. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Agree with gwyntaxi. I live near Whitby and quite often see motorhomes overnighting in 'marina Back' carpark. I have also asked the parking attendant and got a similar answer. That was just over 2 weeks ago.