Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit D.I.Y
Exp
1 year
Hi guys, just wondered if there is a site anyone knows of that details public places to park overnight in your camper van for free.

Otherwise do people generally post up a place they are going to and ask if anyone local or previously visited the area knows of parking places?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Welcome!

I have been having a discussion with a friend on the very same subject recently. He planned a recent trip using info from the wildcamping website.
He said that many of the spots listed weren't really that great, and when one takes into account the time taken just finding some of them, it all became a bit stressful and annoying. Especially after a long day's drive.
He said he should have just pulled in at the first likely spot that presented itself!
He did that for the remainder of the trip and had no problems.:thumb:

I would say our over-stretched police forces have a lot more on their plates than the odd cheeky motorhomer!::bigsmile:

Last edited:

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
We have only been motorhoming for 3 months but have been to Devon,Cornwall, South of England and up to Scotland and have only stayed on sites 1 out of every 3 nights. We have had no problems parking in laybys overnight moving on early the next morning to park up on a car park near the beach during the day.
We find a suitable layby and stop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
As I am the friend that Jon is talking about I can confirm that some of the wild camping spots are not exactly ideal, however there are some that are brilliant, I will try to upload some photo's of the places we stayed at during a two week holiday to the Dumfries/Galloway area of Scotland, when we started to wild camp last year we were too timid and double guessing if we should or not, but a year on we just crack on, as long as it doesnt say no overnight parking and is not illegally parked then crack on the worst that they can do is ask you to move on. Happy wild camping

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would say our over-stretched police forces have a lot more on their plates than the odd cheeky motorhomer!::bigsmile:

So you have 3 tickets left to issue this shift, do you take on an Olde Farte motorhomer or go looking for an axe murdered ?

Motorhomers are considerably easier to find.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
various places now clamping down on freeloaders and those that park up for weeks on end for free. Most of us paid a small fortune for our vans but some hate the idea of paying for a campsite where we are wanted and looked after

certainly the occasional night in a layby is not frowned upon, but it seems a minority are getting us all a bad name by mistreating our countryside and the environment and becoming a nuisance for locals.

what many dont realise is that TROs and other legislation is now very easy to use by councils to ban all "wild camping".

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
So you have 3 tickets left to issue this shift, do you take on an Olde Farte motorhomer or go looking for an axe murdered ?

Motorhomers are considerably easier to find.

It's unlikely you will be troubled by the law, they are in turmoil at beat level at present and the nicer county forces are stacking up 999 calls so won't have xtime for minor infringements where the council is the prosecuting authority (parking is largely now a council issue).

That in itself creates a bigger problem, when the boy racers or locals decide they want to take it out on you, you are on your own. Perhaps a better reason for choosing wild sites very carefully.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi if ever looking for places to park up in dumfries area just mail me and i will let you know.

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
various places now clamping down on freeloaders and those that park up for weeks on end for free. Most of us paid a small fortune for our vans but some hate the idea of paying for a campsite where we are wanted and looked after

certainly the occasional night in a layby is not frowned upon, but it seems a minority are getting us all a bad name by mistreating our countryside and the environment and becoming a nuisance for locals.

what many dont realise is that TROs and other legislation is now very easy to use by councils to ban all "wild camping".

I agree entirely, although we rarely use campsites for most of our weekends. We use our van to attend cycle events, usually arrive at the venue after 7pm and are gone by 7 in the morning. I'm certainly not going to pay for a campsite when I don't use any of the facilities. We usually tuck ourselves away in the corner of a car park nearest to the event hq.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a freeloading "tosser" and have been parking my "live in" vans in laybys around the UK for over forty years. (I am now doing it in Portugal.)

I have lived in my van fulltime for over twenty years...

I will say it again (and again and again and again) everytime a thread like this is started...

I have never ever, ever, ever, ever been moved on by the police or anyone else in all that time because I avoid parking where it might be noticed by bigoted, prejudiced, narrow minded, nosy interfering "people" who think black is black and white is white and there is nothing in between...

To answer the OP (welcome by the way)... use your brain, have consideration for others and park in laybys as and when you come across suitable ones and need a rest. You will soon build up your own "bank" of knowledge (which never stops growing) and have your own stop over spots near the places you go to.

And as I am far too tired to try to have a reasoned, intelligent argument with anyone who thinks motorhomes should only park in campsites I simply "say" this...

...:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAging8ull

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit D.I.Y
Exp
1 year
I think some people might be confusing me, with someone who just doesn't want to pay for anything, but like I have said before in a previous post, I have made my own camper, with windows and electric in a ford transit, and the issue seems to be that it is classed as a commercial vehicle, so a lot of campsites don't seem very welcoming, so the option of Wild camping has become more prominent in our thoughts when looking to go away for a night or 2.

So far we have only stayed around Gloucestershire and we have had a few nights away in Weston, in a secret wild camping spot.(message me for details) ::bigsmile:
We are looking at perhaps venturing into Wales or down towards Devon next.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
But what if you are parked legally and you've had a glass or two of wine ?

Reference my post, Why would you get talked to by the police if you are parked legally.

If the police did ever chat to you I am fairly confident it would be to see if your ok, and if he noticed that you have all the screens up and getting ready to settle in for the night with a book or the tv, they will be intelligent to realise that your not going to be driving anywhere.

My missis works with a lady whose husband is a copper and he has agreed with me, he laughs and says he has more important things to do than some law abiding motorhomer, unless of course your tax disc.insurance is not current then your going to get done for that and drink driving, and as we live in Norfolk there are a lot of motorhomes around during the summer.

Also agree with JJ, if he's done this for forty years then he must know what he's talking about and I propose him to be the oracle on wild camping:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the fun. Selfbuilds are welcome on my site in Devon, no problem.

husheechee

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
talbot express
Exp
2 years
wild camping

Hi,just joined this forum when i found out that i could get another £20 off my insurance! but i wanted to comment on the "wild camping"..ive only been wild camping for 2 years now and have found some excellent spots,just two that i thought i should mention,first is a spot near Whitby I believe its on the a170 about a mile from Whitby and i think its called "blue hill" or something like that,park here and you have wonderful views of the Abbey about a mile away,the moors are opposite for dog walking and turn right towards Whitby and down the hill there is a lovel pub with great locals,sorry again but the names escape me(will see if i can upload photos soon)you really cant miss this place and its also great for a bit of star gazing.
The other place is near Dover and St Margrets bay, the lighthouse is close by(where Marconi first transmitted radio!)On the hill looking back towards Deal there is an Obelisk where you can park up(belive they call the road the Pines)you have a wonderfull view of the chanel and from the top of the cliffs you can see France,Belgium and wih "bins" Holland,get up and see the sunrise from here...beautiful and ...FREE and if you're lucky as we were you may see Buzzards "talon" fighting,foxes and the usual bunnies etc. again i will try to post some photos later.....and mebe some other wild spots...ive never been mooved along....yet! dunnow how you would get on being mooved if you had had a drink,personally i would say DONT, tell whoever that youve broken down and will moove when you get the van fixed
HUSHEECHEE...newbie

husheechee

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
talbot express
Exp
2 years
parking/wild camping

Just thought i should also mention this,anyone had a "parking charge notice?" for more info on these go to the money saving expert .com...i think you may find some advice there that is going to save some unsuspecting souls a lot of money but please make sure you know the distinction between a "parking charge notice" and a PENALTY charge notice,its all explained on Martins site and i also think that many of you will be amazed!
Apologies in advance if this has been mentioned before on these forums....im a newbie.
Parking tickets from Private Parking Companies...6 so far,total amount claimed is approx £900,amount paid £oo.oo,zilch,nothing.(only one in the M.H.)
Penalty charge notice = a 4 min overstay in a council car park...one,demand £50.00,correct appeal applied....payment =zero.
Sounds like im a serial offender but you'll see some of the reasons innocent people get"fined" by these scumbags if you log into Martins site.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
...yet! dunnow how you would get on being mooved if you had had a drink,personally i would say DONT, tell whoever that youve broken down and will moove when you get the van fixed
HUSHEECHEE...newbie

Anybody in authority would be unwise to move you on if you had had a drink, as they themselves could be considered liable if you fell foul of the law. However, technically, you are still in charge of a vehicle whilst under the influence – there are no exemptions for campers. You would have to show that you had no intention of driving whilst you were over the limit. So my advice is that if you fancy an evening drink, put your pyjamas on! It is unlikely in the extreme that any court would convict you, unless you were absolutely legless!!

Last edited:

husheechee

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
talbot express
Exp
2 years
parking/wild camping

I agree that if someone in authority told you to move on then they would probably be guilty as well through implication,putting your jim jams on is probably a good idea but something that sprung to mind was some years ago i knew of a white van delivery man who liked a drink,he parked up in a layby to sleep for the night and had a drop or two of the good stuff,he was caught by the police and charged with being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the dd limit,apparently he could have avoided this by just removing the keys from the ignition and avoided the 12 month ban he received but there again i dont know if this is how the law is enforced on this.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I was a HGV driver for many years after serving in HM Forces..I had a good list of places where parking was allowed and of course which were the cheapest lorry park wise..I parked in some lorry parks with motorhomes and caravans too...Just before I retired from driving I pulled into a layby on the A1 southbound (won't say where cos it's gone now due to the A1 being upgraded)..and there was a motorhome parked there..so having just purchased a van I went to have a chat with the occupants..they were quite emphatic about parking in lay bys having done it on numerous occasions..I've done it myself a time or two motorhoming and on the odd lorry park a not a lot of truck drivers use em now..a lot of lorry parks have vanished now..one I know is now a Tesco....

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I agree that if someone in authority told you to move on then they would probably be guilty as well through implication,putting your jim jams on is probably a good idea but something that sprung to mind was some years ago i knew of a white van delivery man who liked a drink,he parked up in a layby to sleep for the night and had a drop or two of the good stuff,he was caught by the police and charged with being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the dd limit,apparently he could have avoided this by just removing the keys from the ignition and avoided the 12 month ban he received but there again i dont know if this is how the law is enforced on this.

Technically as long as the keys are in the van wether in your pocket or in the ignition, you are in charge of a vehicle, so technically you could get in trouble in the motorhome, however sitting in a motorhome with the screens on and tv on with the missis in bed reading is quite different to a white van man sitting in the drivers seat sleeping off a beer.

husheechee

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
talbot express
Exp
2 years
wild camping

yes i dont doubt the fact that there is a difference between the two analogies, so it seems then that whoever is in charge or the driver of the vehicle could get nabbed wherever the keys are?
As i said i have no real idea what the law is on this, perhaps I and many others could unwittingly be breaking the law by having a beer or three in the back of the van whilst parked up irrespective of where the keys are or who we are in bed with....naked or not.
Back later...off on travels in the mornin and more wild camping.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think a point was made on a thread some time ago regarding the potential likelihood of having to drive the van on a public road at short notice.

Obviously, the likelihood is greater if one is overnighting by the road side rather than on a camp site and, thus, at least one person who could drive the van if need be should stay off the beer completely.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
If we were doing just an overnight on a site or an Aires for that matter neither of us imbibed..but if we were doing a couple of nights or more...a bit of a relaxed attitude prevailed shall we say!!:RollEyes: the point is if your going to be driving ANY distance the next day..stay off the beer/wine/alcohol..I know these type of threads (parking and the like) evolve into what about having a beer if you are Wild Camping..if you feel you could get moved on don't bother..the thing is if you do have a drink and the keys are in your pocket your not going to drive that night..the Police will want to prove intent..yes I intend to drive tomorrow not tonite..however the law is the law is the law...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back