Overnight Parking Portsmouth, Caen, St Malo

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Granjan, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Can anyone please tell me if we can park overnight at the ferry terminal if we are first ferry out in morning. These are ones that load about 7am. Also has anyone got a discount code I can use please.

Cheers

Janet

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Yes, no problem at all parking at the ferry terminal. We have done it many times. You are asked not to arrive before the last ferry goes, about 10 pm , but, we usually come earlier.

When you get there you have a choice: either keep to the left, close to the multistory parking , and join the queue or, if they are showing the lane for your sailing on the lit signs, then join that lane.

Either way set your own alarms as they move people through the check in queues early and having to do it fresh out of bed is embarrassing ! Ask at the ferry company desk the night before what time they open the check in but take it with a pinch of salt as it can be earlier.

We have also overnighted, comfortably, at Port Solent and had a meal there the night before we have gone on to the port itself next morning. I can supply more details and coordinates if you think you might do likewise.Its only about 15 Motorway minutes from the port.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Granjan

Granjan Funster

Thanks @Eeyore is it the same coming back we have done this from Santander Bilbao but thought we had better check for the French ones.

Cheers

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

We have never done StMalo in the van but there is an aire to the left of the entrance to the ferry port ( coming from Caen) at Oustreham. It slopes a bit and can fill up fast though.

We have stayed at Camping Municipal les Pommiers before the ferry. It is literally minutes down a straight road from the port entrance and they are geared up to late arrivals and early departures. Not great but friendly, cheap and very convenient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Coming back from France to ovetnight at Portsmouth ??

We were late arriving in Portsmouth from Bilbao last March and BF suggested that caravanners and motorhomers spent the night at the port so presumably no problems. We went on to Port Solent however- took 11 minutes- and had a meal there before spending a peaceful night.

Les Pommiers have an English speaking receptionist and, if you phone beforehand to book, they will give you the barrier code to let yourselves out in the morning, or in, in the evening. No need to book otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    At St Malo there is a car park next to the ferry port entrance where motorhomes can park after about 8 pm, I think, but we have parked in the terminal with our fiver in the past. There is a Condor fast ferry berths about 10 pm from memory. Facilities in the termnal close around 9pm I think.

I have sent you a PM.

• Like Like x 1
  7. woodstock

woodstock Funster

8. woodstock

woodstock Funster

Could you send me the co ordinates for Port Solent please.
    Thanks Ron

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Removed coordinates

These are taken from the Port Solent webpage. I've only got my phone with me at the moment so can't check that this takes you to the actual car park but it is pretty obvious when you get there.

When there don't miss Sir Alec Rose' s boat Lively Lady which is exhibited in the marina. Gracie Ann's cafe is excellent too, but you might have to ask directions as it is upstairs off the boardwalk.

There is also free WiFi, the general log for the car park is on the PS website but cafes and restaurants have it too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Edit: the coordinates above take you into one of the estates in PS.

This is better:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  11. woodstock

woodstock Funster

Thanks a lot thats brill