overnight parking in birmingham

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by pigginchilli, Nov 6, 2015.

1. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

Hi, We visit the german market every year and also fit in shopping and the balti triangle, we usually stay in hotel or pub, would like to use our motorhome this year, somewhere nice and safe would be good, and we don't mind paying or staying somewhere where a taxi to the city centre is available. cheers nade and steve. :drink:

2. sedge

sedge Funster

There is no site on a bus or train route into the city and would cost an absolute fortune in a taxi.

3. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

The CC site at Wythall is only a short walk from bus stop.

4. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Birmingham is totally unfriendly to motorhomes...one option to consider is to stay at a site near a railway station, by far the best way into the centre.
    Somers Wood http://www.somerswood.co.uk/ is a couple of miles from Birmingham International and as most of the London trains stop here, so plenty of trains and 10 minutes into New Street. New Street station has just been done up with a new shopping centre above the concourse, down the ramp outside to the German market.
    I would have thought the people at the site could advise on taxi prices, there is a taxi rank at the station.
    Just a suggestion, we went in by train yesterday. Looking for a cafe, the Edwardian Tea Rooms in the museum.

• Like Like x 4
  5. pigginchilli

We like the sound of this, £44 for two nights in our lovely van gives us spare cash to spend on train, taxi fares instead of staying in a grotty hotel at £60 a night, we will ring them tomorrow, It looks a lovely place to take our dogs at another time too, hope it works out ok for us, We are massive curry fans and in my opinion brum baltis cant be beaten, I lived in Ludlow for 16 years and lived on them. thanks detnor much appreciated. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy Funster

Can't recommend a place to stay but the best Indian in town is Ashas loads of awards, great food and ringing endorsement from all my Indian friends living in the area. It is not cheap, you will need to book and it's a great experience, close to city centre. I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. pigginchilli

Will have a look at their website, not been before, usually go to shabab or Lahore on ladypool road and stock up with spices and sauces from raja brothers to bring home.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Chapel lane caravan club site ideal for brum .bus stop just up road and short journey in. .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Just up from the 'palace there are a couple of roads suitable for parking - oh birmingham - not benidorm, sorry!

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Motorway service area overnight then drive to/park somewhere with convenient public transport?

11. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Al Frash on the Ladywood Road is the best of the Birmingham Balti houses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

My folks moved from Bham to Norfolk 10 years ago .....we always take a coolbox full of curry for their freezer when we visit.........sorry no suggestion for parking I am afraid.

Asha's looks interesting ......although i'm a Ladypool Rd kinda guy at heart (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Somerswood is nice, and far enough away from Birmingham to be safe! Just don't get it mixed up with Chelmsley Wood!

14. sedge

sedge Funster

Yes but you would have to drive a few miles from Somers Wood to B'ham Intnl for the train, and not sure what time the campsite closes the gates for the night? Or indeed, how dear the parking is at the station - used to be about £1 per hour and of course there was a height barrier - so you would need to check.

I didn't know that Chapel Lane was now on a bus route - it hadn't used to be!

And I have many happy memories of eating in Saleems on the Ladypool Road - their veg curry with a tandoori chicken portion was my poison and was brill. The fluorescent lighting and the formica tables, odd crockery cutlery chairs etc, all added to the special ambience ...... !

4 of you could eat for a fiver. Excellent. If you wanted posh - they had waiters, tablecloths and cloth napkins in The Star of India in Bromsgrove Street - but you had to pay a LOT more for that - about £6 for two of you. But of course the wages (ours I mean) matched.

Weren't the 1969s/70s brill!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Chapel lane has a bus every hour to brum and Redditch. Used it every time we go to brum .

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There's only one bus in each direction which stops outside the site. For the others you have to go to the traffic island just up the road. Timetable for Service 150 here.

17. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The Hollies C&CC site in Balsall Common appears to be quite close to Berkeswell Station which is the main line from Coventry to Birmingham. Nice restaurants in these villages and plenty of walks close by. Might be worth having a look and you may be able to park your van at the station. Much nicer than trying to get to the NEC for a train.

18. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Quite right ,but the island stop is only a few minutes up the road....tip! Don't go to Redditch,sod all there....

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Agreed about the island :) I'll reserve comment on Redditch as I've never been there :D

20. ceejayt

ceejayt Funster Life Member

we have eaten here twice Lasans - this was voted the best Indian by Gordon Ramsay - food is amazing, bit different, not cheap and you have to book

Have a great time