Overnight at service area

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laser101uk, Mar 16, 2013.

1. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

Hi Guys

I am planning our trip to Scotland at Easter travelling on the M6. I looked at Tebay service area near Kendall and wondered if anyone has any experience overnighting there, or suggest anywhere suitable. I would be turning up about 1 am so would like to park and sleep.

thanks

Steve

2. chaser

chaser Funster

If its owt like the SAs lower down the M6 make sure you pay and tell someone before you park up, else you will have a massive fine through the post later

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi never stayed there but Tebay services has its own campsite just as you go up the slip road for the services you keep left to the campsite.

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

:Eeek:

Had one or two of these from various service areas as they are Private PCN`s I just ignore them they give up eventually the argument should it arise is you are too tired to drive therefore.....cannot
    works for me .:Wink:
    though no doubt others will disagree :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 3
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

This is NOT a disagreement but....
    BE CAREFUL NOW... They changed the law / rules last last year on this.. Not going into all the details here as there is lots of stuff on the net about it.. Like you I have had them from supermarkets in the past and have just ignored them. But changes have been made !!!!!

Cant help on the Tebay parking.. sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

When we go up to Scotland we either use the A1(M) or M6, at junction 43 turn left and theres a Tesco's, cheaper diesel and tuck yourself into a corner, its 30ish miles further on than the services,54°53'46.12"N, 2°53'44.20"W arrive late leave early, not forgetting to fill up.
    Or, off A1(M) left turn A68 about 20 miles from Scotch Corner, big layby 54°34'9.20"N
    1°36'30.86"W if you keep on this road, enter Scotland via the east coast.
    Any other spots just PM em. Take care, have fun, we're off to Scotland directly after the Thetford bash for 5-6 weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

The camp site at Tebay services is expensive and mainly used by semi permanent contractors, you can cross over to southbound services via the hotel access road, there is a great caravan / motorhome section, (on the level above the main car park so away from traffic) but I suspect it needs paying for if over 2 hours. Well worth a stop en route for a short break. I was also pleased to find the service area at Perth does not charge to park overnight, but is busy because of it, that might help you for your second night. David

8. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

i think tebay svcs have their own campsite
    no ideas on price

9. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I always thought Tebay was where Lancashire people sold second-hand items online.

You live and learn eh?

Seriously - there's a website saying it's £18 for 'caravans' after the first 2 hours, it's open 24 hours, and parking charges are enforced by the parent company.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:Rofl1:

11. jeepmadmike

jeepmadmike Read Only Funster

Itinerants had moved in to sedge moor services on the M5 this week

I was driving past at 5am so tested my horn:Laughing::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

not sure how it is now
    In 2007 i wild camped all over Scotland with out a problem for eight weeks
    there are lots of places to stop over night
    stopping about 830-930
    moving off early morning 730-830
    found some really nice spots
    one is at Falkirk wheel
    past the visitor center car park in the bus turning area:thumb:nice views and ride on the wheel in the morning:thumb::thumb:

13. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

If you come as far as Gretna it has a huge shopping centre and if you appear after shops close do not think it would be a problem. Or the services have a motorhome and coach and lorry park so could sit there indefinitely as no one cares.
    If it is just wild camping you want then Scotland is your Oyster, as you can basically park anywhere you do not cause a nuisance or obstruction. I have been wilding in Glasgow as an experiment of it last three nights. I nipped into an industrial estate and just parked in a quiet street, then off in morning, not a soul bothered me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G8WVW

G8WVW Read Only Funster

Perfect little overnight parking area on A685, 2-mile south of Tebay J38 at NY607008. Use it regularly traveling N/S and often others there too. All phone networks 100% too.

Cheers.

15. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

When we use the M6 / A74(M) route to Scotland we usually stop at Wanlockhead village for an overnight break . Rather than stop over at lorry parks or service stations . Bit further than Tebay services mind you ( 90 mile further north ) . But only turning off the A74(M) for the last 5 or so miles .

Leave the A74(M) at junction 14, then follow signs for Leadhills and Wanlockhead ..... There is a museum car park in Wanlockhead ( with unlocked toilet) you can park at free of charge . Or the local pub welcomes motorhomes to park up , free of charge . Museum and a guided tour in the lead mine well worth doing . Pub serves good meals and a decent pint. .

• Like Like x 2
  16. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Yep - theft is theft