Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We were on the Cite Europe car park the other night and saw this UK reg motorhome. Does it look overloaded?:whatthe:
If they are heading south they will likely be pulled over - I would if I were a cop!
In the UK I doubt if they'd notice!:RollEyes:
Mike and Annie

Attachments

• SAM_4992.jpg
    SAM_4992.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 487

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
broken spring or alko axle torsion bar.

possibly even full air suspension and deflated.

but i suspect the alko axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Possibly the same as we have...

VB Full Air Suspension... When we are on site we can push a button on the remote (camping/Parking) I think it says.... and the whole rig drops to it`s lowest level and just levels/lift`s up as to be 100% level...

Brilliant system..... :thumb: hate it to go wrong, because as far as I can make out all the original suspension was removed to put the VB unit`s & compressor on... :Sad:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
broken spring or alko axle torsion bar.

possibly even full air suspension and deflated.

but i suspect the alko axle.

It's a Autosleeper Suffolk which I believe is on a Merc chassis, not Alko.

In my experience of Autosleepers they are generally quite heavy and have a small load capacity.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's a Autosleeper Suffolk which I believe is on a Merc chassis, not Alko.

In my experience of Autosleepers they are generally quite heavy and have a small load capacity.

i stand corrected.....

broken spring it is then.

it would take a lot more than a couple of crates of beer to get the suspension that low no matter what suspension type.

i would think at least a ton in the rear end to get anywhere near that.....its bottomed out for sure.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As it was at Cite Europe I suspect they have done their 'booze' shopping and stuffed it to the gunnels so it will be overloaded excessively. I wouldn't like to be them trying to get on/off the chunnel or especially ferry and I suspect they will get pulled when back in the UK, that's if they even manage to make it out of the station/port as they may well get stopped there as the suspension is so obviously flat and therefore dangerous.:Doh:

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Not so. We've seen VOSA check teams pulling caravans.

Out of interest how regularly are motorhomes pulled over at those check points? And how long are you kept there?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Out of interest how regularly are motorhomes pulled over at those check points? And how long are you kept there?

Sorry no idea.

We saw them on a mway service area, they'd commandeered an area and wer giving vans a good going over.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Could be overloaded, could be a broken spring, could be it has full VB self levelling air suspension in park mode. Without more data it is impossible to judge from one poor quality photo.

D.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

If you are overloaded you will be there until you have off loaded enough gear to legalise it. BUSBY:roflmto:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
They pull over M/Hs on the A30 just before the Kingsley Village turn off going east quite regularly.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Those Auto Sleeper models always look to be overloaded even when they are empty. Can there be a problem changing rear wheels when punctured?

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
If you are overloaded you will be there until you have off loaded enough gear to legalise it. BUSBY:roflmto:

So how would that work. Would you just have to jettison your "stuff" or is there somewhere to leave it and get someone to collect it for you somehow.

And if you were in a motorhome could you just camp there while you waited for someone to come and cart off the excess?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So how would that work. [HI]Would you just have to jettison your "stuff" or is there somewhere to leave it and get someone to collect it for you somehow.[/HI]

And if you were in a motorhome could you just camp there while you waited for someone to come and cart off the excess?

Much simpler. You would just post on a motorhome forum about jobsworths not allowing you to carry on just because you were breaking the law. A self-righteous outcry would ensue, the :dm: would rant about you being treated differently if you were a traveller and you would get away with it :ROFLMAO::reel:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Would you just have to jettison your "stuff" or.....

It's your problem. You are sat there smarting from a fine and can't move until you do something.

On a UK motorway the first thing would be to pay your parking charge if you can't come up with a solution in under 2 hours.

Just like any other traffic offence, best avoided.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I wouldn't want to change the wheel on this one, seen at ALDIs Montilevet.

Attachments

• HEAVY.jpg
    HEAVY.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 125

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Those Auto Sleeper models always look to be overloaded even when they are empty. Can there be a problem changing rear wheels when punctured?

Mine sits slightly higher at the rear according to the spirit level, never tried changing the wheel but plenty of suspension travel on mine to bring the wheel out of the wheel arch. RAC's job to change it and at least A/S do actually supply spare wheels............:winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So how would that work. Would you just have to jettison your "stuff" or is there somewhere to leave it and get someone to collect it for you somehow.

And if you leave it, expect a fine for littering! As Brian says, best avoided

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Could be overloaded, could be a broken spring, could be it has full VB self levelling air suspension in park mode. Without more data it is impossible to judge from one poor quality photo.

D.

Sorry about the photo, Dave!:Sad:
Just thought I'd start this thread to point out that some people take risks.

Maybe the suspension is shot in which case it's not safe to drive.
Maybe it is overloaded in which case it's not safe to drive.
Maybe it has air suspension but I would not have thought it'd go that low on a Sprinter.

Last year I saw an old German motorhome so back heavy it looked like it was ready to lift the front wheels off the ground:Eeek:
Anyone taking risks is putting others in danger too!
Mike:Cool:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Maybe it has air suspension but I would not have thought it'd go that low on a Sprinter.

Last year I saw an old German motorhome so back heavy it looked like it was ready to lift the front wheels off the ground:Eeek:

I saw a British family in Normandy this year in a conversion.

Two adults and two children were sat in the rear lounge as it travelled playing cards.

I couldn't see any belts:Doh:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

Just stay there and drink the lot!, then wait another couple of days and drive home after an " extended" holiday. Simples.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

you will have broken the law, so its your problem to sort not VOSA/DVLA/Police

there is often a check point on A35 near ringwood and on the M27 Rownhams services. a check takes over an hour and much longer if overloaded or faults found. they do a roadside MOT type test for roadworthiness and weigh each axle

if youre overloaded, then you will HAVE to unload excess as there will be a prohibition notice. depending where its tested there may be no parking facilities. in this case you would have to arrange somebody come collect your excess load before you can leave. if the vehicle is faulty it would need to be removed on a suitable low loader at your expense,

failure to comply would see the vehicle impounded and removed to a compound with limited access. you would have to pay towing storage etc. there was a case last year of a "colourful" couple who had their motorhome seized and towed away. they camped in a tent next to the compound but if i recall correct the van was eventually sent of to be scrapped as they didnt/couldnt pay.

at the end of the day YOU the driver have an obligation to ensure you remain within the law and if not face the consequences. you need to know the pitfalls of owning and using a motorhome before you travel. these forums are the perfect place to find your information and what you need to do

HAVE YOU WEIGHED YOUR MOTORHOME ON A WEIGHBRIDGE LOADED AS IF GOING ON HOLIDAY, INCLUDING DRIVER AND PASSENGERS?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
you will have broken the law, so its your problem to sort not VOSA/DVLA/Police

there is often a check point on A35 near ringwood and on the M27 Rownhams services. a check takes over an hour and much longer if overloaded or faults found. they do a roadside MOT type test for roadworthiness and weigh each axle

if youre overloaded, then you will HAVE to unload excess as there will be a prohibition notice. depending where its tested there may be no parking facilities. in this case you would have to arrange somebody come collect your excess load before you can leave. if the vehicle is faulty it would need to be removed on a suitable low loader at your expense,

failure to comply would see the vehicle impounded and removed to a compound with limited access. you would have to pay towing storage etc. there was a case last year of a "colourful" couple who had their motorhome seized and towed away. they camped in a tent next to the compound but if i recall correct the van was eventually sent of to be scrapped as they didnt/couldnt pay.

at the end of the day YOU the driver have an obligation to ensure you remain within the law and if not face the consequences. you need to know the pitfalls of owning and using a motorhome before you travel. these forums are the perfect place to find your information and what you need to do

[HI]HAVE YOU WEIGHED YOUR MOTORHOME ON A WEIGHBRIDGE LOADED AS IF GOING ON HOLIDAY[/HI], INCLUDING DRIVER AND PASSENGERS?

YES I HAVE and it is a surprise. Had I had a 4 berth and not a 2 then just the extra occupants would have put me over. Weighed with me and the dog. Mine is plated at 3850kg and already 2000kg on back axle, but see below.

Extract from a thread of mine in July.

Rear was loaded with 2 full gas bottles, full toilet flush, 125 litres of water so rear pretty well taken care of.
Still got SHMBO to go on front, approx 63kg so 147 left for some more clothes and food. Most other things already in, tools, TV, etc. but only 1/4 tank of fuel so another 60kg if full, now down to 87kg , thats her trunk of clothes and my 4 T-shirts and shorts, well I know I am greedy but I am away for 4 weeks !

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

My apologies, I hadn't intended to criticise the abilities of the photographer but you have to admit it isn't great. Its taken in poor light from a difficult angle so while it does look like the wheel is way up in the arch it is entirely possible that if viewed at 90 degrees to the wheel and frm a lower angle it might not look so drastic.

AutoSleepers do tend to fit deep side skirts and wheel arches and some of the latest generation of Sprinters I understand have independent suspension on the rear so its entirely possible that nothing is wrong depending on the setup in question. If it has VB full air suspension it may well drop to minimum ride height as depicted in "park" mode.

I regularly see motorhomes that are near or overloaded so I understand your reasons. I have personally helped more than one motorhomer through legal issues of motorhomes that are too close to their weight limit from the factory, at least one family are members on here.

D.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When we first started in business 25 years ago one of our vans was pulled by The Ministry and found to be overloaded. We had to send another van 80 miles to off load the excess. The driver pleaded guilty and when his fine came through some time later for £100 we did not think it was to bad. Imagine our surprise couple of days later when we (my wife and i were partners in the business) received separate fines for allowing this to happen...£400 each. What a shock. We soon dissolved the partnership and went Limited.BUSBY:ROFLMAO: Was not laughing then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back