overhang (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Im thinking of buying a 33 foot winnebago Itasca but people just keep saying with that overhang and with me regular driving in cities I'm going to cause havoc, knocking pepole down while turning etc ?
I currently drive a 28 foot coach conversion so have experience and am additionally worried about going left hand drive so wondered if any one has any tips or advise ?
cheers

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
Hi

I had a lot of near misses when I first got my 30' Southwind with the dreaded tail swing. Best thing I ever did was to get a sign made up for the back - CAUTION LEFT HAND DRIVE. Now cyclists and motorbikes seem to give me more space.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi winnie, as long as you are aware of it, there won't be a problem. You need to adapt your road position a little when negotiating turns etc. You will have it sorted with just a bit of practice.

The first time I drove a vehicle with a long overhang i parked much too close to petrol pumps, my route out meant a sharp left turn was required which meant my rear would have taken out two petrol pumps at least. I had to reverse out, after getting out and asking lots of pee'd off queuing vehicles if they could get out of my way:Blush: You learn quick when you learn by your mistakes::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
It is just one other thing to think about you will soon get used to it, as for left hand drive it can sometimes be a problem if you are by yourself at junctions . On single lane roads I do not tend to overtake for obvious reasons. If you like Europe the your better off.

You already drive a fairly long vehicle so don't think you will have too much trouble adapting. One of the worst places where overhang can catch you out is petrol stations when you come to pull away from the pump .

Regards

Lampie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back