Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Interesting thread, but 10 years old...
If this was a diesel spill as it sounds, its highly unlikely to start a fire. To burn diesel, it needs to be compressed or vapourised, so in theory you can safely stub a ciggarette out in a puddle of diesel. Wouldnt recomend you try this by a petrol pump though:winky:
Actually you can stub out a cigarette in petrol as well. Those films where they throw a cigarette to start a petrol fire are just fiction. But don't try to use a lighter to light a cigarette.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
also you do have to allow for expansion . i filled one of my tanks to the brim leaving maroc .a few days later i had to syphon some out to put in one of the other tanks as the sun was causing the fuel to expand and come out the lid.
That happened on my Hymer after topping up to brim from a can.
Then a strange siphon effect started and ended up losing about two gallons :oops: not just the amount by which it had expanded.
Lesson learnt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
We went to top up the diesel and gas this morning ready for our next trip. Gas was fine but the diesel didn't stop. Normally I hear a gurgling sound and then the overfill protector clicks and stops the fuel. This morning I heard the gurgle and then diesel started spilling out of the filler neck.

Never known that happen on any vehicle (petrol or diesel) that we've had so can anyone advise what causes it and how I can prevent it in future?

The attendant at the garage said that it hadn't happened for a long time but used to happen often on BT vans so is it a problem with the garage or the van?

How about letting the trigger go when you hear the 'gurgle'? :unsure:

In the 'good old days' we always had to do that! :LOL:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I fill till I hear the gurgle, then just blip the pistol while the diesel settles down and wait till the shut-off works. If shut-off did not work at 'blipping' flow I would see the diesel before a spillage.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How about letting the trigger go when you hear the 'gurgle'? :unsure:

In the 'good old days' we always had to do that! :LOL:
Because ten years ago was the first time it had happened so I asked a genuine question.
Happily, at that time, I received constructive advice - as reflected in post #26.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
With my old L200, I had to rock the cab when it first clicked to let the bubbles settle!

Yep, me too.
After the first cut off, I give the chassis a shove to rock it a bit. Then fill to second cut off.

No idea if this makes a big enough difference!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Because ten years ago was the first time it had happened so I asked a genuine question.
Happily, at that time, I received constructive advice - as reflected in post #26.

I am sorry for not reading the date of your thread, but who does when it appears in the 'What's New' section and I thought I gave a very constructive answer to, what appeared to be, a very simple question, as you, yourself did, in post #26? :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back