Overcab ladder

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Linda and Steph, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Has anybody found a solution to stepping on the hard, narrow, cold & painful steps found on ladders for the overcab bed?

'The people in the ceiling' (that's what my daughter & son-law call themselves when they travel with us :BigGrin:) say it's very uncomfortable using the ladder and feel that they're still too young to join the slipper-wearers :Doh:

What I need is a safe way of making the steps wider and I could then see about fixing carpet to protect their soft feet :Wink:

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

How about fitting some foam pipe lagging to the rungs of the ladder.

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi

Our rv came with the ladder missing. SWMBO bought a small set of step ladders that fold up very easily for storage. The steps are coated in rubber or something that is warm to the foot and non slip. They are very stable, with more room on the step for your foot than a ladder.

Cheers
    Jim
    :Smile:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I did sand the back edges of ours and it made a big improvement. The fronts were well rounded as it came.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi gaffer tape some carpet to the rungs 200% improvement :thumb: or if like me make some wooden ones and flog the van the week after making them :Rofl1:
    terry

6. johng

johng Read Only Funster

hi Steph, mine have small recatngles of rubber between the edges of metal.. probably cut from a car mat..

very comfy :)

J

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Our current drop down bed which we use as a spare is low enough not to need a ladder, however in the past I have just made a wooden one (like a stepladder) with wide treads which I have carpeted. Very comfy :BigGrin:
    If you carpet one with round treads they can rotate when you step on it - a bit dangerous:hardhat:

8. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Read Only Funster

Hi, why not do what me and my other half does and that is one foot on the settee and the other on the table and just fall in the bed - not very ladylike but after 47 years together no worries on that front! :RollEyes::RollEyes:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

stuff the payload......fit a stairlift.:Rofl1:

seriously, i dont know the length of the ladder but maybe a set used for normal house bunkbeds may be better if they're long enough.

10. DavidEJM

DavidEJM Read Only Funster

We use pipe lagging.

Only trouble is the lagging tends to break quite quickly so we tape it on with gaffer tape until a better solution presents itself or I get a chance to cable tie some carpet on.

11. philw111

philw111 Funster

My daughter uses a similar method to get up but hasn't yet found a way to get down without the ladder - can be a problem if we forget to put the ladder up at night for her and she needs the loo.

12. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

I had the problem with the wooden ladder that came with the van. So I copied it but making it slightly longer to give a swallower angle, the Hymer one is like something off a ship almost vertical. I also made the steps wider and screwed a (mobility) grab handle to the side runner. Now at least I can get down in the middle of the night without falling arse over tip.:thumb: