OverCab Bed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by durhamahoy, Apr 12, 2013.

1. durhamahoy

durhamahoy Funster

Hi,
    Our overcab bed is basically a storage area. Does anyone actually use it as a bed? Was looking at it the other night thinking that would be great as a bed?? but then what do we do with all our 'Stuff'.
    Any ideas and comments much appreciated
    Steve

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I always slept in the overcab when I was single - mainly so the dogs wouldn't be able to get in with me :Laughing:

I guess the 'stuff' got chucked onto the front seats. Now the dogs sleep on the front seats and the 'stuff' gets chucked inthe overcab.

It's like those puzzles when you keep moving the tiles around until the picture makes sense.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

We slept in ours once,the wife had a panic attack in the middle of the night then stood and watched whilst i made other bed up.Now storage area.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. tofo

tofo Funster

yep thats my bed mrs t lounges in the dinnete

:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

• Like Like x 2
  5. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

use ours all the time, have duvalay's rolled out and chairs etc on top of them then just lift down into drivers area overnight

6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We keep our spare towels and bedding on our drop down bed. It has actually been used as a bed a couple of times, though the mattress is too soft for my liking.

7. Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low Read Only Funster

I reckon I can fit a couple of kids in ours:thumb:

8. Ali n Tim

Ali n Tim Funster

I found I couldn't hack it in the over cab bed either! So it is now a storage area for the bedding and anything else we can hurl up there!! Thank goodness for the curtains to hide it all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

When we first saw overcab beds we said we could never imagine sleeping up there, especially being bus pass holders. We decided we'd give it a try just to see what it was like. We were surprised to find it really suited us. It's a massive comfy bed (has a mem foam topper) and when we get up in the morning there is no bed making and stowing of bedding, just lift up and forget it. Then at night pull down and it's ready. And even after Jean's knee replacement it's no problem to climb a couple of steps of the ladder.
    We love it. :thumb:

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
  10. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

We always sleep in ours (up there in a mo when I've finished this post!)

I sleep in the front end though, cos Mrs Brit Stops doesn't like to feel "cooped up". I also think it probably makes a difference how much space you have above the bed. We also use ours for storage of coats, etc. during the day.

When we had our three kids with us though, the two boys would sleep in the over cab, and we'd sleep in the dinette made up bed, cos then they could go to bed earlier than us, and if we had an early start we'd on occasion drive off with them still up there. I know, I know...

Just getting to the stage where we think we might prefer a fixed bed at the back though.

Still can't figure out why no manufacturers make a rear lounge with a drop-down bed - I think we'd be interested!

Steve :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. albeano

albeano Read Only Funster

woulnt be without the overcab, bedding stored up there during day and travelling, Ive always slept well up there when ive used it, and the grandaughter loves having her own "princesses castle" (with the safety rail) space. Its just so convenient and useful to us. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. audlin

audlin Funster

Always sleep in the overcab - very big and comfy - and can store stuff on it during the day. Wyn and Jean, do you know the maximum weight the Profila overcab bed can hold? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife Funster

As i often travel alone I prefer to sleep in the overcab i find there is plenty of room up there and it is very comfortable and saves messing about making up the bed in the lounge. I also use it to store extra sleeping bags in case family drop by uninvited :Eek!: I just push everything to the very back and there is still room for me :thumb: There is a nice little window that can safely be left open all night so it never gets too hot or claustrophobic. The bed does fold in half to allow more headroom for driver and passengers but it has to be done manually which is a bit of a drag moving the mattress about but I have seen some more recent models that have what i think are gas strutts to just lift the whole thing temporarily whilst not in use. Saves clouting your head when not concentrating on what you are doing!!:Eeek: Its a huge space and i would be lost without it :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  14. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Hello - like the van:thumb: As for the capacity of the overcab bed I can't find anything in the manual to say but it is so well constructed that I can't imagine anything (or anyone) that you could put up there that it couldn't support! It certainly copes fine with the weight of us two adults and seems to be robust enough to cope with more. What had you got in mind? :Eeek:

Have you had the van long? and have you got the hang of it?
    If we can help with any queries feel free to ask:BigGrin:

Wyn

15. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

We use it all the time. No need to make up a bed, it's always there...

Mrs Callumwa and I have just spent every night of the last two weeks sleeping up there. We also have a 2" memory foam mattress topper on top of the original mattresses. It's very very comfy.

Just push it up in the morning out of the way, sorted and simples......

... that's what it's there for....:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  16. kaybee

kaybee Funster

I always sleep in the overcab. Find it very comfortable though I did replace original mattresses with a memory foam one. Always ensure I take a bottle of water, mobile phone, kindle, glasses and van keys to be with me. Sleep soundly.
    In the day store extra bedding etc up there. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Overcab bed is excellent, very comfortable indeed, memory foam mattress and everything.
    Sure it gets used less than the fixed bed, but wouldnt be without it.
    Sleep tight.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Our overcab is absolutely huge and I love sleeping up there. It could sleep 3 people with ease. There is also a massive Heki which makes it very airy and spacious....my husband pretends he is a tank commander, Wally :Rofl1: the mattress in very good too,very comfy.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Why is the mattress called 'Wally' :Confused:

• Like Like x 1
  20. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Poor punctuation, hubby is a Wally for sitting looking out of the Heki. The mattress is very good I should have put! Who would guess I work in a school?