Over-wintering, in Spain and Portugal. (1 Viewer)

Graham Baines

Free Member
Feb 29, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Magic
Exp
Hi all.
This is our first winter after going full time in June. We plan on spending winter between Almeria/Murcia and or Portugal.
Have any seasoned Motorhomes any advice or recommendations for sites for a month or 2 stop would be appreciated
Graham Sue and Bailey

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Depends on what you like. We enjoy walking, and the wild, natural surroundings of the Cabo de Gata National Park. Los Escullos does it for us, although it was very windy last year.

Deleted User
It would depend a lot on what you like to do, we have made several visits for a couple of months to Los Escullos in the Cabo de Gata Natural Park, Almeria. The scenery is incredible and best seen on foot, the site is a little isolated for some and many stay at the site at Cabo de Gata but we prefer Los Escullos. There is another site at Las Negras which is often quieter, La Caleta.
There are lots of sites in Almeria/Murcia that are good for longer stays, the only real way is to tour for a while and see what you like, everybody's tastes are different.

In Portugal we stay at Camping Rio Formosa as do lots of other long stayers, it has become increasingly popular with French motorhomers in the last few years and has even been full a few times for short periods in Jan/Feb which are the peak winter months.

There is a site at Olhao that is popular with some and Turiscampo at the other end of the Algarve at Lagos gets good revues though it is several years since we have been there.

On the Costa de Luz Camping Pinar San Jose is popular with a few Funsters there are other sites in Conil de la Frontera that do very good rates for long stays, Camping Roche is one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The weather is usually better in Spain in the winter,,dryer anyway but both are a better alternative than staying in UK. Location depends on the individual,,,Enjoy ,,,BUSBY,,,

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Mid Portugal can get a bit wet/cool over the winter months (especially Dec - Feb, but much warmer than here during the day)) so I would tend to head down sarf (Alentego/Algarve) where you should find plenty of winter sites

Can't see a lot of difference between the weather in say Tavira over the weather across the border, and the Portuguese do seem a lot more friendly and more tolerant of a bit of wild camping (but I am hardly neutral on that point)

Weather isn't everything, though

Deleted User
Mid Portugal can get a bit wet/cool over the winter months (especially Dec - Feb, but much warmer than here during the day)) so I would tend to head down sarf (Alentego/Algarve) where you should find plenty of winter sites

Can't see a lot of difference between the weather in say Tavira over the weather across the border, and the Portuguese do seem a lot more friendly and more tolerant of a bit of wild camping (but I am hardly neutral on that point)

Completely agree with the last point:).......and everything else:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

It is to me,,,,thats my main reason to go in the winter,,,BUSBY:):)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you like mountain walking you could visit our neighbours camperstop in Totana, next to Sierra Espuña. Good for mountain biking also. There will be a few FUNsters around in December and January. Maybe that would be enough to put you off :LOL:.

See my blog below for an idea of the area.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any advice or recommendations for sites for a month or 2
Graham Sue and Bailey

You must have seen by now, loads of FUNsters winter in Benidorm for two reasons, all facilities are open and cheap, and it has possibly the best winter climate.

The climate extends both sides of Benidorm of course if you don't want the high life. Cap Blanche, L'Abir is 6 miles away but seriously quiet.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...19fa90c0ff26eb5!8m2!3d38.5410566!4d-0.1224937

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Each to their own and all that I brought my MH to tour, the idea of 2 months in one place doesn't appeal to me at all. I know several who do exactly that and return to the same place every year, they meet the same people, get to really know the area, they have a routine and social life but...
For me I have for the last 2 winters travelled Spain and Portugal rarely staying on a campsite and rarely staying for more than a couple of days.
You soon find the wild camping spots or small commercial Aires or non commercial Aires. So no advice from me on a site for any period of time but consider meandering around. Fuel is cheap and for what you'd save on site fees you could do the whole Spanish and Portuguese coastline.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
rarely staying for more than a couple of days.

Each to their own, as you say. That sounds like pure hard work and as far from what OP asked as you could get.

I must admit I could not manage the 6 months some are booked in for. Longest we've done was 5 weeks based on price, it was a bit too long. So new thinking, don't go for price deals just stay as long as it feels right.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Ashamed to say that several days in the same place is enough for me, but we are lucky and live over in Portugal for around 6 months of each year, so we are mostly touring when we're not lazing around

Spain generally does little for me that I can't find better in Portugal, but it would be a boring world if we all had the same tastes, and that's why we have all chosen this lifestyle

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
Each to their own, as you say. That sounds like pure hard work and as far from what OP asked as you could get.

I must admit I could not manage the 6 months some are booked in for. Longest we've done was 5 weeks based on price, it was a bit too long. So new thinking, don't go for price deals just stay as long as it feels right.
And your post helps or answersthe OP about as much as mine.
We are all different, we want different things and what seems like a good idea at the time may not be. Whilst there are savings to staying on one site for a long time I very much agree stay for as long as you want don't commit unless you really really have to. The site might be perfect the weather great, loads to see and do and then you get a new neighbour who has also booked to stay for a long time who turns out to be the neighbour from hell.
So still no help suggesting a site....
But enjoy yourselves whatever you decide.

Deleted User
Each to their own and all that I brought my MH to tour, the idea of 2 months in one place doesn't appeal to me at all. I know several who do exactly that and return to the same place every year, they meet the same people, get to really know the area, they have a routine and social life but...
For me I have for the last 2 winters travelled Spain and Portugal rarely staying on a campsite and rarely staying for more than a couple of days.
You soon find the wild camping spots or small commercial Aires or non commercial Aires. So no advice from me on a site for any period of time but consider meandering around. Fuel is cheap and for what you'd save on site fees you could do the whole Spanish and Portuguese coastline.

How long do you stay in your home? More than 2 months at a guess.:)

Some of us don't have a home:)....including the OP.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Where ever you choose it will be a great experience for you...we started this type of trip 18 years ago...never looked back...as we now live in Spain we still love it.....but those first few years of finding out for yourself was the best ever.....its a new type of adventure, enjoy it.....

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
How long do you stay in your home? More than 2 months at a guess.:)

Some of us don't have a home:)....including the OP.
But you do have a motor home. If I wasn't working I wouldn't stay in my house for 8 months a year I would be touring full time and yes I guess that if I was a full timer I would stay longer in one place.
But I think the OP was asking for recommendations for a site for a 1 or 2 month stay, I can't help with that and even if I did like a site that I thought was suitable for a long stay it may be the complete opposite to what they were after.

Back on topic; only you can decide what is right for you, why commit unless you really have to, if you find somewhere you want to stay, stay. The long term discount might still be available if you decide to stay a long time. But why commit until you've decided for yourself.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you want longish stays, try the ccc ralies they can be cost effective. And imv a good place to start out. Two that we have used are La Manga. And Alcossebre.

I like wild camping, but swmbo does not, even though we did lots in the USA!,,

Pete

Deleted User
But you do have a motor home. If I wasn't working I wouldn't stay in my house for 8 months a year I would be touring full time and yes I guess that if I was a full timer I would stay longer in one place.
But I think the OP was asking for recommendations for a site for a 1 or 2 month stay, I can't help with that and even if I did like a site that I thought was suitable for a long stay it may be the complete opposite to what they were after.

Back on topic; only you can decide what is right for you, why commit unless you really have to, if you find somewhere you want to stay, stay. The long term discount might still be available if you decide to stay a long time. But why commit until you've decided for yourself.

Not disagreeing with you just pointing out that some of us that live in our mobile homes sometimes need places to stay for a while instead of continually moving.

We never enter into any formal agreements about long stays and if something upset us we would move regardless of any loss of long term discounts and as you say everyone's needs are different.

This is what I said in my first post:
" the only real way is to tour for a while and see what you like, everybody's tastes are different."

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
We like to winter long term at Cabo De Gata and will be arriving next week .It does not suit everyone but i am not going to insult others views . We think its great for dogs, its friendly , long term rates are good , the site is tidy and the shower/toilet blocks are first class , lots of excellent walking/cycling . Its well away from bars so if thats your bag it wont be for you

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We like to winter long term at Cabo De Gata and will be arriving next week .It does not suit everyone but i am not going to insult others views . We think its great for dogs, its friendly , long term rates are good , the site is tidy and the shower/toilet blocks are first class , lots of excellent walking/cycling . Its well away from bars so if thats your bag it wont be for you

Its not far into CABO..BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Spain has bigger flies... and more of them... than Portugal.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

And Portugal has much bigger pot holes in the roads,,,BUSBY,,,,,:D:D:D

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
And Portugal has much bigger pot holes in the roads,,,BUSBY,,,,,:D:D:D
That may well be, but the Portuguese have an expression about using their roads....

"The best way to see Spain is in your rear view mirror" :LOL:

Incoming expected

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Reactions: kcy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing to remember with Portugal is that it is on the same timezone as the UK so the nights get dark 'quicker' than if you were in Spain where you are 1 hour ahead.

When we got over to France we changed over to French time (ie UK+1 hour), stayed on this in Spain, then when we got into Portugal did the same and wondered why some of the town clocks were wrong and it was so quiet in a morning when we got up ... until we remembered it was on UK time! :D We decided to stay on French/Spanish time though as we get more out of the day that way and don't feel the night drawing in so early ... just have to remember if we're visiting anywhere to check the opening hours and ensure 'our' timezone fits in with them! :X3:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Read somewhere that Spanish government were discussing having same time as Portugal,,,,Probably never happen,,,BUSBY,,

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Read somewhere that Spanish government were discussing having same time as Portugal,,,,Probably never happen,,,BUSBY,,
I could understand it if it went the other way with Portugal changing to Spanish time as they'd get longer evenings but no doubt they have their reasons for staying as they are.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I could understand it if it went the other way with Portugal changing to Spanish time as they'd get longer evenings but no doubt they have their reasons for staying as they are.
Knowing the lack of love the Portuguese generally seem to have for the Spanish, they probably wouldn't do so on principle

My understanding was that the Spanish were considering the notion more to align themselves with Portugal and London for business purposes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back