Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
OK CAMPERS IM LOOKING TO GET AN RV . CAN I DRIVE OVER 7.5 ton
Iv only got box stranded licence (it says on my licence I can drive up to 7.5ton ) but a man at a RV SHOP SELLING THEM says no you can drive over 7.5 ton because it's privet bus /van HIS he pulling the wool ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes , unless you are prepared to stand in a court and tell them its a bus i would say forget it.
years ago in 1991 you could have kept the right to drive buses ans coaches of any weight or seating . most didnt bother . now they regret it possibly.
the d1 you have does allow buses up to 16 seats not for hire /reward . there is an argument there . but unless you feel really confident just stay at 7.5 or take the test.
it can be alot of hassle in courts .

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Thank you . I will I don't want to be looking over my shoulder . They are some nice busers out there that are under 7.5 cheers john .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Some less scrupulious dealers will tell you their rv's can fly if it means making a sale.

Standard pre 1997 car licence.....up to 7500kg
post 1997 car licence.......3500kg, unless you take a C1 test to uprate to 7500kg.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Overweight seems to be a buzz word at the moment, more people are finding they don't actually have any payload for wine or beer when returning from France and that is just a travesty.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is getting easier to catch overweight vehicles these days with the WIMS system that DVSA (VOSA) are rolling out now. It has a ANPR camera and in road scales that can measure each axle as it passes.
They don't need to pull you into a weigh station anymore.

As for licensing on RV's. I reckon it is best not to try to play games. If it is over 3.5T you need 'C1', if it is over 7.5T you need Full 'C'.

I did my 'C1' training and test in 2007 and it was well worth doing. Day and a half training then test on second day. Well worth it.

Currently doing my 'C' which is proving a bit trickier :eek:, failed first time last Thursday booking in for a bit more training and second go...

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
It is getting easier to catch overweight vehicles these days with the WIMS system that DVSA (VOSA) are rolling out now. It has a ANPR camera and in road scales that can measure each axle as it passes.

As for licensing on RV's. I reckon it is best not to try to play games. If it is over 3.5T you need 'C1', if it is over 7.5T you need Full 'C'.

I did my 'C1' training and test in 2007 and it was well worth doing. Day and a half training then test on second day. Well worth it.

Currently doing my 'C' which is proving a bit trickier :eek:, failed first time last Thursday booking in for a bit more training and second go...
Good luck very brave:smiley:

Deleted User

An accurate weight from a weighbridge is still necessary for an overloading prosecution or prohibition, the WIMS system is an identification tool to more accurately target offenders.

Overweight vehicles are identified by the system and then stopped and weighed on a weighbridge.

I suspect that the WIMS sites are located close to pre existing VOSA checkpoints but they seem to be attempting to make this information difficult to find.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Wasn,t the article 10 years old. If it was i havn,t seen much change and never seen a post about anyone actually being weighed by VOSA. I am not condoning being overweight i just suspect many vehicles are over at some time or other.
Just as an aside my son along with the local scout troop help the police with riot training and crowd control at Alconbury
Airfield . The police vehicle drove towards them and they started to leg it around the hanger , the police jumped out to chase them, after the scouts ran round the hanger they found the police van empty with the keys in the ignision so they all piled in and drove off leaving 12 coppers stranded . They drove to the weighbridge onsite and found the vehicle overweight with just the driver inside. Some very red faces at the end.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
yep as others have said ,no grey areas if its over 7.5 t its a C-Class.when we had RV,s I took my C-Class first and then my C+E.peace of mind really for me.i learned a tremendous amount about being on the road in a large vehicle(y) definitely money well spent(y)
Brian & Jo

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
WIMS ANPR is really interesting stuff.
A few minutes of Googling has revealed that there are sites at Erskine Bridge, Glasgow, Hammersmith Flyover, a couple of sites on the M25 plus the original site on the M6. There are others obviously, but my need to get a life is greater than my need to identify more sites.
A paper presented by a VOSA manager at an international conference revealed that they had to increase the trigger point for alerting overweight vehicles from 5% to 8% to avoid being overwhelmed.
At the M6 site it appears they only operate the system 2 days per week and because of manpower limitations they are only able to physically stop and check 6% of the 240 vehicles per day that the system identifies as overweight.
However they have a 100% hit rate on those vehicles they do manage to stop.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
An accurate weight from a weighbridge is still necessary for an overloading prosecution or prohibition, the WIMS system is an identification tool to more accurately target offenders.

Overweight vehicles are identified by the system and then stopped and weighed on a weighbridge.

I suspect that the WIMS sites are located close to pre existing VOSA checkpoints but they seem to be attempting to make this information difficult to find.

They do need to pull you in for a weigh in, but they will only do so if you are oveweight already. What I meant was they don't need to pull you in to find out if you are overweight.

From info given to me on the CPC course they are rolling them out along motorways and appear to be adding more each year. DVSA ( as VOSA is now known) also have portable weighing machines so they can set up temporary weight checks. As of 2012 they have 10 WIMS checkpoints. I heard that the 2013 count was 14 but can't confirm that. I am pretty certain they have more now though.

From what I understand there are over 200 sites with the cables etc installed already. All DVSA need to do is attach the ANPR gear. they were all installed by the Highway agency to monitor road usage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back