Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all

Quick question about looking after my motorhome over the winter. Last van was a lot smaller....less cupboards etc to worry about!

My van is on my driveway. Will be going away later this month but then probably not again until next year....however do try to take it for a short drive every other weekend to keep things ticking over. Just wondering if there are any precautions I should take other than the following to avoid winter related problems?:

- Fresh and waste water tanks are empty, as is water heater
- Bathroom door open, cupboard doors open or ajar, fridge ajar
- Moisture trap hanging in bathroom (hanging bag style that can be re-activated in oven)
- Moisture trap (as above) laying on plastic on top of overcab bed. As going away in a week or two have left Duvalay laid out on overcab bed, but will bring indoors in storage bag after trip. Overcab bed laid out flat (side laid flat too) as for usage, rather than in folded 'driving' position to allow for air circulation.
- Internal silver coloured screens in front windows. Rest of windows have blinds rather than curtains so have left blinds up with throws over seat fabrics and tablecloth over table to avoid sun fade (just in case we get any sun that is!)
- Electric hookup connected to normal plug socket in garage. Periodically turning battery charger on for leisure battery (or should I leave it charging all the time?).
- Running very small dehumidifier (CC offer last winter if anyone knows it) which I have positioned in the centre of the van.

Should I be running heating in there or is that just going to add to condensation problems etc?

Any tips welcome
Daisy2

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi all

Quick question about looking after my motorhome over the winter. Last van was a lot smaller....less cupboards etc to worry about!

Should I be running [HI]heating[/HI] in there or is that just going to add to condensation problems etc?

Any tips welcome
Daisy2

Hi Daisy, strikes me you've covered most of the bases. Heating will only add to the condensation problem if it is a paraffin type heater. A small electrical heater set on a frost setting or a small greenhouse tube heater is all I leave running on my boat, that works well.

Someone else (far more knowledgeable) will be along tomorrow and give you a lot more information............Griff

the stig

Funster
Oct 10, 2009
Grimsby
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2009
another tip is to bung up ALL holes. ie inlet pipes, sinks etc., to prevent little fellas from over winter hibernation. One thing i often used to see with statics is that they would take all soft furnishings away from the windows and place them (like a wigwam shape) in the centre of the van to prevent damp on them.

Andrea

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have a dehumidifier on as well

OK, it is a winnebago, but it is still a motorhome and we do the usual drain downs.. we have an extra external show, so we have to make sure that has been drained as well. plus we have holding tanks and grey tanks.. gate valves left open.

But inside as we are connected to the house mains, we leave our Sterling Inverter charger on all the time. That way the batteries are kept on line and cycled as they should be in the charge mode.. as we have a bttery master fitted that takes care of the engine battery as well from the feed it has from the house batteries.

We also have a couple of tube heaters.. on the the bathroom 120w as the bathroom is large by even RV standards being across the back of the RV ... plus a smaller 80 watt in a cage against the bottom of one of the dinette sides (not otside wall)... on timer we have a large dehumidifier sitting on the kitchen work top with the drain going down the sink over a sponge (to check there is water out of the air).. can see it most mornings from the water mark on the drive under the grey water valve where it runs out as it is extracted.

We also have the LPG gas heater set to kick in at 38 degrees if it gets very cold. It works for us OK.. we leave all the cupboards open and doors in side the RV.. we have a reflective screen round the cab windows as it is a B class and all the night blinds are drawn.

Stays nice and snug like that... every 4 to 6 weeks we take it for a run out.. check tyre pressures and do the oils water etc., (domestic water tanks are already drained down) .. we also run the generator up every couple of weeks and do a stationary engine run up... handbrake (foot in a yank) is left off and we park the automatic in P.

Bob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back