Over-reacting? your views please xxx (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I was purely asking for opinions all of which I have taken on board

I would like to point out that our dog is NOT unruly. She is friendly and well behaved as I am sure the funsters who have met her would confirm. Our dog neither owns us or barks continuously. Her barks are purposeful.

I do appreciate what you say about some dogs ruling their owners and some who park continually to the total annoyance of others and if that was the case we would have taken action long ago.

Our dog was not trained using a water spraying method and to be quite honest I had never heard of it until the funsters replied to our post so I have found all the replies most helpful.

i accept your dog may be the best ever however the best can always do the unexpected I have had German shepherds, and although well trained I would never say they where trust worthy at all times
many have found out after the dog has turned and done the damage that the owners then say she/he never showed any aggressions in the past but they all can the older they get the less they are to put up with things they are only a dog when it comes to it

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It sometimes helps to remember from where domestic dogs are descended.......... Wolves can't bark but they can certainly bite, especially if there is a pack of them - domestic dogs, even tiny ones, are all the same, no matter how sweet they are on the surface.

Love them, yes, but treat them with a bit of caution and a lot of respect. We currently have four dogs - two of ours and two being fostered. Love them all, even Ben the 'orrible bald jack russell

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Lots has been said, on both sides of the camp, but couldn't read this and run. Personally I would have been livid too :Angry: Yes, distraction methods might sometimes have a place in dog training (and I am speaking as an experienced dog owner who successfully rehabilitated a dog - now sadly passed on - with considerable fear aggression problems, to a well balanced individual) although I favour positive reinforcement methods. However these techniques should be used by people that understand them and in the right situation. The dog groomers, to the best of my knowledge, are trained to groom dogs, not to train them. The dog is there for grooming, not remedial training! This could compromise existing training approaches, and if it had been used on my dog (I personally wouldn't leave my dog in the hands of someone else ...many of my last dog's problems were generated courtesy of the vet and nursing staff at the first veterinary practice I used with him!!) would have created a lot more problems than it would have solved. They don't necessarily know the backgrounds of the dogs they are grooming and in my opinion shouldn't be behaving like this. That said though, this wouldn't constitute cruelty and the RSPCA are unlikely to be interested. Personally I would vote with your feet but would tackle the owners of the business first - if they want to adopt practices like this (and clearly it seems this would be considered acceptable by some owners) I think they ought to make it clear before you leave a dog with them. Tbh though I would think this is very mild compared to some of the things that go on...even in veterinary practices :Sad:

Daisy2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
OK, I accept the above but how about a quick look at the other side of the coin. I am not saying at this stage that what they did is right or wrong but there you are in a place presumably full of dogs with one of them that won't stop barking - causing considerable stress to all the other dogs in that particular pack. Do you simply leave the dog to continue stressing the other dogs and owners or do you use a harmless and well proven/approved method of distracting the dog to try and stop the barking? Now I'll offer an opinion.... I would do the latter on the basis that it is best for the majority there, even at risk of annoying the single client out of several there. Back to original view on this; the dog needs the habit to be removed by some therapy/behaviourist training and everyone will be happy. This type of problem is fairly common on the dog whisperer TV program and effectively removed (even if he is a smug git)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
OK, I accept the above but how about a quick look at the other side of the coin. I am not saying at this stage that what they did is right or wrong but there you are in a place presumably full of dogs with one of them that won't stop barking - causing considerable stress to all the other dogs in that particular pack. Do you simply leave the dog to continue stressing the other dogs and owners or do you use a harmless and well proven/approved method of distracting the dog to try and stop the barking? Now I'll offer an opinion.... I would do the latter on the basis that it is best for the majority there, even at risk of annoying the single client out of several there. Back to original view on this; the dog needs the habit to be removed by some therapy/behaviourist training and everyone will be happy. This type of problem is fairly common on the dog whisperer TV program and effectively removed (even if he is a smug git)
I like the smug git remark PMSL :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years

My question related to whether or not I was over-reacting which, now that funsters have advised that spraying is a "acceptable" technique I have been able to answer for myself. I was not asking funsters to judge our dog.

To a certain extent I can understand where you are coming from.
There is no habit to be removed. We are quite happy at our dog barking hello to us. If either of us tell her to be quiet she obeys.

As hubby was present and collecting the dog it is my view that it was not down to the groomers to spray water on a dog barking at the pleasure of knowing the owner had come to collect her.

As an additional note, which I was not originally going to post, the new member of staff was sacked this afternoon for mistreating another dog.

Problem solved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
hi,we have two bichons and like you say have them groomed every six weeks,and if i was the groomer and spent over an hour blow drying them would i spray water on them,???? dont think so.if i collected them and they were wet they wouldnt be doing there job.just my two penneth.muz:whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back