Over-reacting? your views please xxx (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Took our lovely bichon frise Daisy to the dog groomers yesterday.

They had a new member of staff. I always make sure when collecting that I dont say a word as if she hears my voice she barks. I only speak once the groomer has the lead and is ready for me to collect her.

Hubby collected her yesterday. According to him "she barked and barked as soon as she realised he was there and wouldnt stop".

The new member of staff then proceeded to squirt liquid (presumably water) in our little dogs face to "shut her up".

Hubby says he pulled her up for it and the main member of staff has assured him it wont happen again and apologised.

As the member of staff was new, who taught or suggested squirting water or liquid in a dogs face would quieten them?

My questions are

1. Do I report them to the RSPCA ????

2. Do I trust them with Daisy again

She was really out of sorts the rest of the day and today.

Hubby says I am over reacting and making a fuss out of something trivial.

I am now in two minds as to what to do.

All views welcome and thanks in advance for whatever you reply xxx

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Over-reacting?

I would have been very annoyed and angry had this been my dog. I don't feel it merits reporting to the RSPCA however, but even although they have apologised to your husband, I would go back and explain how angry you feel about the whole episode.
I would then say in no uncertain terms, that if this ever happens again, you will take your business elsewhere and also tell your friends about how the member of staff treated your dog.
Ask to speak to the person in charge and let them know how you feel.:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zds643cKiGg[/ame]

It is always recommended to squirt water in a dogs face when they bark
Step 1:
Train your dog to stop barking on command. When the dog starts barking, say "no bark" or "quiet," then squirt it a few times with water. The water will startle the dog and often it will stop barking as a result. When the dog is silent, say "good dog" and reward it with a treat. Eventually, you can remove the squirt bottle and stop the dog from barking with only the command.

So reporting them wont help, if your unhappy find another groomer or go back and just ask why she did it.
I would say that as she is new she was nervous and the dog picked up on that.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think reporting it to the RSPCA is over the top and I doubt if they would do anything but I understand how you feel. A dog is a member of the family after all.
Joan.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds cruel to me.
Would it work with my wife?

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
This is cruelty :whatthe:

the groomer gave me a different dog back :cry::cry:

Attachments

• sany0162.jpg
    sany0162.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 37
  • sany0156.jpg
    sany0156.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 34

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
There are obviously differing levels of squirting water but if I think you will find its a standard technique of dog trainers

stew

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Gail our local RSPCA workers carry a spray when they walk dogs who do not behave on a lead to stop them jumping up and barking,I know its your baby and you are cross if I was you I would speak to the owner tell them politely what you think about it, and that you will probably not go there again.Well thats the official line anyway:roflmto:I probably would have drowned the groomer in a dog bath head first if she had done it to my dog:Eeek:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Thats how I got my terrier Midge (RIP a long time ago ) to stop chasing bicycles. My daughter wheeled her bike around the house and every time he went for the tyres I squirted him with water. Worked a treat.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I seem to remember thats what Barbara Woodhouse advocated as well when training dogs.
When I ever I think of her (not that I do often mind you) all I can hear is a strident voice saying 'Walkies' and 'Sit'.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It's wrong

But you can complain to the cows come home but wont get you anywhere.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Root cause analysis:

This may not be well received but wouldn't it be a good idea to consider some animal behaviourist action/training to stop the dog barking like that in the first place? If that problem was addressed then nothing else would be an issue for yourself, your husband and any grooming establishment, would it?

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Its a standard dog training technique. It doesnt hurt the dog just distracts them from there negative behavour, its quick, cheap and very effective.

You are very much over reacting and as for calling the RSPCA :Doh::Doh:

Excessive barking is anti-social and needs to be controlled, are you doing anything to control this behaviour? An out of control barking dog in the confines of a grooming parlour can quickly lead to aggitation and aggression from the other dogs, thats why they stop it straight away, to stop other dogs from becoming aggressive and fighting.

Far from condoning the behaviour of the person you should be congratulating them for stopping a problem before it started, which could easily have lead to yours or others dogs from fighting and getting hurt.

You are obviously aware that your dog has a problem with this or you wouldnt creep into the place and not speak. You need to address the problem with your pet and sort it, then you wont have to worry about creeping around being quiet.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Gail, don't know if it right or wrong but I would be blazing.

My little dog is really sensitive - more so since she went blind - and I would have to have complained if it had happened. I certainly wouldn't be going back there again....

Two points came to my mind.... twice now my little dog has been cut with scizzors on her private parts by overenthusiastic groomers. I no longer take her, as anyone who knows Sasha will confirm. She is a scruffy little mutt but happy and no longer shaking and terrified when she has to go to the groomers.

secondly, I have a friend who's son owns a grooming parlour in another town and I always remember him talking about when they had advertised for a recruit to train up. He said they immediately discarded anyone who, in response to the question 'Why do you think you would be good at this profession?' replied with 'Because I love animals.' He said that it was irrelevant and sometimes you had to do things that the owners would not be happy with...... Our friendship has never been the same since I told him what I thought about that.

Hope the little one is back to normal today. Love Joy xx

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
When I was a teacher I had to visit pupils on work experience, and one was with a large grooming parlour in Rotherham. I was appalled by what I saw and made my mind up never to send my dogs to a grooming parlour again.

We now have Charlie, a Maltese/Llasa and I bought professional trimmers from the Internet and trim both him and our Yorkshire Terrier myself. There is no problem and they both love being trimmed and groomed. The trimmers were over a hundred pounds, but I considered that to be a good price when it costs £20 every 6 weeks or so to trim Charlie and I dont have the worry of who is trimming him and how he is coping.

As to squirting with water, I have read all the posts and have decided to try this with Charlie. He is a beautifully tempered dog, loves people and children, BUT turns into a Rottweiler when he sees another dog when he is on the lead. He plants his back legs apart and barks, growls and lunges at any dog which he does not know. If squirting him with water means I dont have to pick him up and try to control him then I am more than willing to do it!

The difference, in my mind, is that it is me the person who loves him who is squirting him in an effort to break this unacceptable behaviour - not someone who does not know him and was put in a position of trust with my dog.

Ginny

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
I often have to deal with noisy children visiting our countryside, would squirting them with water also work? What are the legal implications? would you suggest a small bottle, super soaker or high powered water cannon?
Answers gratefully received:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Its a standard dog training technique. It doesnt hurt the dog just distracts them from there negative behavour, its quick, cheap and very effective.

I never knew it was a standard dog training technique and to be quite honest I thought it was cruel so I have learnt something from your posts.

Excessive barking is anti-social and needs to be controlled, are you doing anything to control this behaviour? An out of control barking dog in the confines of a grooming parlour can quickly lead to aggitation and aggression from the other dogs, thats why they stop it straight away, to stop other dogs from becoming aggressive and fighting.

Understand exactly what you say, but there is a difference between a dog whose pleased to see her owners and excessive and out of control behaviour. She will bark to let us know someone is coming up to the front door or if someone is outside the motorhome and at the resident fox when she is trying to chase it away to protect her territory so to me there is no problem as none of this. Our vet has said these are normal and acceptable.

Hi Gail, don't know if it right or wrong but I would be blazing. I was absolutely livid xxxx

My little dog is really sensitive - more so since she went blind - and I would have to have complained if it had happened. I certainly wouldn't be going back there again....

Having read the comments, we will take her back for her next appt and see what happens and how she reacts.

Two points came to my mind.... twice now my little dog has been cut with scizzors on her private parts by overenthusiastic groomers. I no longer take her, as anyone who knows Sasha will confirm. She is a scruffy little mutt but happy and no longer shaking and terrified when she has to go to the groomers. We actually changed groomers as she always used to walk in with no fuss but on one occasion sat down wouldnt move, wimpered and shook and was getting herself into a right state. She has always walked into this one no problem so we will know next time we visit.

secondly, I have a friend who's son owns a grooming parlour in another town and I always remember him talking about when they had advertised for a recruit to train up. He said they immediately discarded anyone who, in response to the question 'Why do you think you would be good at this profession?' replied with 'Because I love animals.' He said that it was irrelevant and sometimes you had to do things that the owners would not be happy with...... Our friendship has never been the same since I told him what I thought about that.

Hope the little one is back to normal today. Love Joy xx

She is back to her normal self and eating properly and seems okay thanks xxxx

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
IMHO, the dog groomer who squirted your dog was paid to assist in dog grooming--not train your dog, therefore had no right to treat your dog in this way. A person training a dog in this way would have taken full details from the owner first to ascertain previous history, fears, experiences etc...

I'd go back to speak to the owner only, tell her how appalled you are with the treatment your dog received, you are "considering reporting the facts to the RSPCA" (that will make him/her act on junior staff member)
Whether you go there again is up to you---I wouldn't!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Get over it you know your dog others do not (barking dogs do bite )
its water not acid
the dog would not be hurt in any way
maybe if you took some responsibility for the actions of your dog you would spray water at it when it barks

too many dogs rule the owners disturb other people with barking
i say spray more and you will not have to spay again your unruly barking dog will be gone for ever replaced by a quieter more responsive member of your family

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
I agree. It's only water and if it stops an untrained dog from barking it can't do any harm.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm with Mavis and the others on this......distraction training works and isn't cruel......providing you empty the window cleaning solution from the spray bottle first :Doh::roflmto:

works the same way as those 'clicker' things, simply distraction, but more effective :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Will it work on the bar-steward who stands outside my window in the field shouting at his dog at 5 am in the morning :Angry::Eeek:
terry

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Will it work on the bar-steward who stands outside my window in the field shouting at his dog at 5 am in the morning :Angry::Eeek:
terry

Proof positive that in numerous cases it is the owner that needs training, perhaps as well as the dog.

P.S. Mrs Deluxe spends much of her waking hours dealing with rescue dogs with behaviour problems and works closely with dog behaviourists in trying to get them into a condition where they can be rehomed. Many of these dogs have been ruined by either ignorant or over-indulgent owners. This is NOT a pop at the OP as I don't know the facts of the case but I comment on what we see and deal with every day. In our household clickers are used but water jet has been really effective on several dogs where excessive barking is a problem (usually for other people than the owner). It is true that a barking dog doesn't bite but the time lapse between bark and bite can be pretty small. Look for the big eyes - and get out of the way

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I've used the water spray technique on my 2 to stop barking so doubt the RSPCA would take any notice. Whether or not it was her place to use it I can't really say but if anyone had sprayed Chloe (the late Ninja) I would've disemboweled them on the spot :Eeek:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I myself have used this method when Susie barks like mad when we get out of the van whenever we arrive anywhere, very strange dog!!!
She screams when we get out of the van at forecourts to get fuel , we have had some strange looks I can tell you, they think we are killing her with her strange screeching.

BUT I wouldnt like anyone else to do it to her.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its a bit like someone else hitting your kids when they upset your dog its part of the family just vote with your wallet Gail:thumb:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Get over it you know your dog others do not (barking dogs do bite )
its water not acid
the dog would not be hurt in any way
maybe if you took some responsibility for the actions of your dog you would spray water at it when it barks

too many dogs rule the owners disturb other people with barking
i say spray more and you will not have to spay again your unruly barking dog will be gone for ever replaced by a quieter more responsive member of your family

I was purely asking for opinions all of which I have taken on board

I would like to point out that our dog is NOT unruly. She is friendly and well behaved as I am sure the funsters who have met her would confirm. Our dog neither owns us or barks continuously. Her barks are purposeful.

I do appreciate what you say about some dogs ruling their owners and some who park continually to the total annoyance of others and if that was the case we would have taken action long ago.

Our dog was not trained using a water spraying method and to be quite honest I had never heard of it until the funsters replied to our post so I have found all the replies most helpful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back