Over-reacting? your views please xxx

Discussion in 'Pets' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Took our lovely bichon frise Daisy to the dog groomers yesterday.

They had a new member of staff. I always make sure when collecting that I dont say a word as if she hears my voice she barks. I only speak once the groomer has the lead and is ready for me to collect her.

Hubby collected her yesterday. According to him "she barked and barked as soon as she realised he was there and wouldnt stop".

The new member of staff then proceeded to squirt liquid (presumably water) in our little dogs face to "shut her up".

Hubby says he pulled her up for it and the main member of staff has assured him it wont happen again and apologised.

As the member of staff was new, who taught or suggested squirting water or liquid in a dogs face would quieten them?

My questions are

1. Do I report them to the RSPCA ????

2. Do I trust them with Daisy again

She was really out of sorts the rest of the day and today.

Hubby says I am over reacting and making a fuss out of something trivial.

I am now in two minds as to what to do.

All views welcome and thanks in advance for whatever you reply xxx

2. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I'm with hubby on this.

barry

3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Over-reacting?

I would have been very annoyed and angry had this been my dog. I don't feel it merits reporting to the RSPCA however, but even although they have apologised to your husband, I would go back and explain how angry you feel about the whole episode.
    I would then say in no uncertain terms, that if this ever happens again, you will take your business elsewhere and also tell your friends about how the member of staff treated your dog.
    Ask to speak to the person in charge and let them know how you feel.:Angry:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mavis

Mavis Funster

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zds643cKiGg[/ame]

It is always recommended to squirt water in a dogs face when they bark
    Step 1:
    Train your dog to stop barking on command. When the dog starts barking, say "no bark" or "quiet," then squirt it a few times with water. The water will startle the dog and often it will stop barking as a result. When the dog is silent, say "good dog" and reward it with a treat. Eventually, you can remove the squirt bottle and stop the dog from barking with only the command.

So reporting them wont help, if your unhappy find another groomer or go back and just ask why she did it.
    I would say that as she is new she was nervous and the dog picked up on that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I think reporting it to the RSPCA is over the top and I doubt if they would do anything but I understand how you feel. A dog is a member of the family after all.
    Joan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Sounds cruel to me.
    Would it work with my wife?

• Like Like x 10
  7. Mavis

Mavis Funster

This is cruelty :Eek!:

the groomer gave me a different dog back :cry::cry:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. artona

artona

There are obviously differing levels of squirting water but if I think you will find its a standard technique of dog trainers

stew

• Like Like x 1
  9. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Gail our local RSPCA workers carry a spray when they walk dogs who do not behave on a lead to stop them jumping up and barking,I know its your baby and you are cross if I was you I would speak to the owner tell them politely what you think about it, and that you will probably not go there again.Well thats the official line anyway:Laughing:I probably would have drowned the groomer in a dog bath head first if she had done it to my dog:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Thats how I got my terrier Midge (RIP a long time ago ) to stop chasing bicycles. My daughter wheeled her bike around the house and every time he went for the tyres I squirted him with water. Worked a treat.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

I seem to remember thats what Barbara Woodhouse advocated as well when training dogs.
    When I ever I think of her (not that I do often mind you) all I can hear is a strident voice saying 'Walkies' and 'Sit'.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

It's wrong

But you can complain to the cows come home but wont get you anywhere.

13. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Root cause analysis:

This may not be well received but wouldn't it be a good idea to consider some animal behaviourist action/training to stop the dog barking like that in the first place? If that problem was addressed then nothing else would be an issue for yourself, your husband and any grooming establishment, would it?

• Like Like x 7
  14. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Its a standard dog training technique. It doesnt hurt the dog just distracts them from there negative behavour, its quick, cheap and very effective.

You are very much over reacting and as for calling the RSPCA :Doh::Doh:

Excessive barking is anti-social and needs to be controlled, are you doing anything to control this behaviour? An out of control barking dog in the confines of a grooming parlour can quickly lead to aggitation and aggression from the other dogs, thats why they stop it straight away, to stop other dogs from becoming aggressive and fighting.

Far from condoning the behaviour of the person you should be congratulating them for stopping a problem before it started, which could easily have lead to yours or others dogs from fighting and getting hurt.

You are obviously aware that your dog has a problem with this or you wouldnt creep into the place and not speak. You need to address the problem with your pet and sort it, then you wont have to worry about creeping around being quiet.

• Like Like x 8
  15. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Gail, don't know if it right or wrong but I would be blazing.

My little dog is really sensitive - more so since she went blind - and I would have to have complained if it had happened. I certainly wouldn't be going back there again....

Two points came to my mind.... twice now my little dog has been cut with scizzors on her private parts by overenthusiastic groomers. I no longer take her, as anyone who knows Sasha will confirm. She is a scruffy little mutt but happy and no longer shaking and terrified when she has to go to the groomers.

secondly, I have a friend who's son owns a grooming parlour in another town and I always remember him talking about when they had advertised for a recruit to train up. He said they immediately discarded anyone who, in response to the question 'Why do you think you would be good at this profession?' replied with 'Because I love animals.' He said that it was irrelevant and sometimes you had to do things that the owners would not be happy with...... Our friendship has never been the same since I told him what I thought about that.

Hope the little one is back to normal today. Love Joy xx

16. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

When I was a teacher I had to visit pupils on work experience, and one was with a large grooming parlour in Rotherham. I was appalled by what I saw and made my mind up never to send my dogs to a grooming parlour again.

We now have Charlie, a Maltese/Llasa and I bought professional trimmers from the Internet and trim both him and our Yorkshire Terrier myself. There is no problem and they both love being trimmed and groomed. The trimmers were over a hundred pounds, but I considered that to be a good price when it costs £20 every 6 weeks or so to trim Charlie and I dont have the worry of who is trimming him and how he is coping.

As to squirting with water, I have read all the posts and have decided to try this with Charlie. He is a beautifully tempered dog, loves people and children, BUT turns into a Rottweiler when he sees another dog when he is on the lead. He plants his back legs apart and barks, growls and lunges at any dog which he does not know. If squirting him with water means I dont have to pick him up and try to control him then I am more than willing to do it!

The difference, in my mind, is that it is me the person who loves him who is squirting him in an effort to break this unacceptable behaviour - not someone who does not know him and was put in a position of trust with my dog.

Ginny

• Like Like x 2
  17. Drew

Drew Funster

I often have to deal with noisy children visiting our countryside, would squirting them with water also work? What are the legal implications? would you suggest a small bottle, super soaker or high powered water cannon?
    Answers gratefully received:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  18. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

19. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

20. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

IMHO, the dog groomer who squirted your dog was paid to assist in dog grooming--not train your dog, therefore had no right to treat your dog in this way. A person training a dog in this way would have taken full details from the owner first to ascertain previous history, fears, experiences etc...

I'd go back to speak to the owner only, tell her how appalled you are with the treatment your dog received, you are "considering reporting the facts to the RSPCA" (that will make him/her act on junior staff member)
    Whether you go there again is up to you---I wouldn't!

• Like Like x 2