Over-nighting on National Trust property (1 Viewer)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Neil you've got a virtual mum you could have a virtual aunt as well.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Neil you've got a virtual mum you could have a virtual aunt as well.

What I need, obviously, is a little Carol that sits on my shoulder as I visit these places....telling me "This place looks OK...go on...ask..." :Blush:

(A bit like the angel/devil on your shoulder....the "angel" Carol would have me parked on an NT site....hate to think where the "devil" Carol would tell me to go... :roflmto:)

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi 1_man,

Sorry, I should have made it clearer what I meant regarding NT properties & asking 'on-spec' - there are some (Stourhead being one example) that I have been told does allow overnight parking and therefore it may be worth asking them.

I didn't mean to confuse the discussion about NT or other organisation's properties and 'private property' (in fact, after I posted that I thought about editing it incase it had caused confision!!)

I'm looking to produce a list of NT properties that you can contact in advance and make a booking for an over-night stay, I was merely agreeing with Carol that, sometimes, there's no harm in asking!

Hope that clears that up.... :Smile:

Hi Ben great what is happening here, and really hope this benefits everybody,
only one little thing regards Stourhead, believe there is a cccl site there,
I have visited stourhead loads of times and there is an area set aside for vans to park.
So just a thought but could the likes of the Caravan club have an interest
alll be it commercial in trying to stop overnight stops, as it could be detrimental to thier buisness??. Cheers Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
National trust car park

We were moved on from car park no signs saying no overnight parking but police moved us saying n t owned the land and we couldnt stay they left it till late at night to send police kids in bed and only us in car park overlooking the sea

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry, I should have made it clearer what I meant regarding NT properties & asking 'on-spec' - there are some (Stourhead being one example) that I have been told does allow overnight parking and therefore it may be worth asking them.

I didn't mean to confuse the discussion about NT or other organisation's properties and 'private property' (in fact, after I posted that I thought about editing it incase it had caused confision!!)

No confusion...don't worry...my point is that, to me, the NT's sites are 'private property', in that I have always assumed that outside of opening hours they are closed to the public, i.e. no overnight parking, unless it clearly says otherwise.

Now I know better...I have more options for overnight stays...and hopefully even more in the future...which is good :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Where was that Scran?

OP
OP
JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin

Free Member
Jan 4, 2011
Jurassic Coast - Dorset
Funster No
Hi All,

Well, if nothing else we've certainly generated some good conversation!

Interesting to see this thread has been copied onto another Motorhome Forum where it's generated just as much discussion (I found it through the referrals to my blog, rather than the person who copied it giving me a head's up - but never mind!!)

Obviously with any organisation our size, everyone will have some sort of opinion & the wonderful world of the internet is such that anyone can easily have their say.

I just want to make it very clear that the original intention of this post was firstly to see if we could put together a list of NT properties where, currently, we allow motorhomes to over-night.
We're working on this 'behind-the-scences' and for many of you I'm sure it will seem to be taking too long but, sorry, that's how it is!

Secondly, we will look into whether we can ensure that the motorhome community is part of our Outdoor Nation campaign and this MAY lead to new / better facilities / options for motorhome owners.

Thanks to those of you who have replied & / or PM'd me, I have read through everything and it's interesting to hear what people think.

I want to be 100% sure that people realise this is an on-going thing and won't be sorted uot straight away. For those of you who have commented that that's not good enough (not necessarily on this board or in public), I apologise - but that's how it is :)

This seems a very friendly discussion board (which is sadly quite rare these days!) and I'm happy to do my best to asnwer any questions and try and assist in making your experiences of the Trust better so please do bare with me!

whatta

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
Scotland, but on the move
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
Overnighting on National Trust property

Scotland doesn't seem to have had a mention in the thread so far, maybe because the thread only relates to National Trust properties and NTS (National Trust for Scotland) is a separate organisation.

Each year the Scottish Area Motor Caravan Section of the Camping and Caravanning Club holds meets at NTS properties. Their 2011 Provisional Programme includes Brodie Castle, near Forres, Moray (2nd to 7th July) and Fyvie Castle in Aberdeenshire (7th to 12th July).

CCC membership is required to attend the meets. Access to the grounds does not require NTS or NT membership.

Being pitched on NTS property and being able to walk peacefully through the grounds on summer evenings is a real privilege.

The prospect of a Fun meet on NT and hopefully NTS properties is really great. Individual overnight access may be less possible as a general facility. Just because those charmers Carol and Eddie have managed it does not mean that anyone can!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,

Well, if nothing else we've certainly generated some good conversation!

Interesting to see this thread has been copied onto another Motorhome Forum where it's generated just as much discussion (I found it through the referrals to my blog, rather than the person who copied it giving me a head's up - but never mind!!)

Obviously with any organisation our size, everyone will have some sort of opinion & the wonderful world of the internet is such that anyone can easily have their say.

I just want to make it very clear that the original intention of this post was firstly to see if we could put together a list of NT properties where, currently, we allow motorhomes to over-night.
We're working on this 'behind-the-scences' and for many of you I'm sure it will seem to be taking too long but, sorry, that's how it is!

Secondly, we will look into whether we can ensure that the motorhome community is part of our Outdoor Nation campaign and this MAY lead to new / better facilities / options for motorhome owners.

Thanks to those of you who have replied & / or PM'd me, I have read through everything and it's interesting to hear what people think.

I want to be 100% sure that people realise this is an on-going thing and won't be sorted out straight away. For those of you who have commented that that's not good enough (not necessarily on this board or in public), I apologise - but that's how it is :)

This seems a very friendly discussion board (which is sadly quite rare these days!) and I'm happy to do my best to asnwer any questions and try and assist in making your experiences of the Trust better so please do bare with me!

Hi -JurassicCoastin as it's been quite a few weeks since this topic was last discussed, I was wondering if there have been any further developments? Not trying to be 'pushy', but it's such a valuable initiative it would be a shame if it fell by the wayside and was forgotten about.

Thanks

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Just checked his profile Last Activity: 13-01-2011 17:45 as you will see its a long time since he has been on line - would be interesting to know if he is still with the NT - it would be brilliant to be able to use NT sites as a campsite

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Just checked his profile Last Activity: 13-01-2011 17:45 as you will see its a long time since he has been on line - would be interesting to know if he is still with the NT - it would be brilliant to be able to use NT sites as a campsite

Ben is still making regular blog postings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back