Over-nighting on National Trust property

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by JurassicCoastin, Jan 7, 2011.

1. JurassicCoastin

JurassicCoastin Read Only Funster

Hi All,

In the many kind welcome messages I had when I joined this site, the idea / issue of over-nighting on National Trust land was raised several times. I promised I would escalate this and thought I would start a new thread to keep you up to date.

There's 2 angles to this, firstly is the existing infrastructer & policies the Trust has at property level and the second is our 'Outdoor Nation' campaign running in 2011.

I have spoken with the Head of the Outdoor National campaign and he has sent me back the following answer:

This is an idea that definately needs follow up and one or two others have already suggested. Some properties do allow motorhomes to park overnight in their car parks and this seems to be done on ‘as asked’ basis and for varying small fees......
    ...... My feeling is that we want to be sharing a positive ‘we are going to try and welcome you’ message and be finding out from them what they need and encouraging them to contact properties and ask if they can stay and to spread the word on places where they have stayed

So, there you go! A very positive answer I think!
    Now I need a bit of help from you guys - if you have (with permission!) stayed at a Trust Property, please let me know & I'll add it to the list we will compile from contacting all of our properties.

Obviously this could take some time so kicking the list off by asking you will generate results more quickly I think.

I have also made a suggestion of the Trust attending a cople of the Motorhome shows to engage both Members & non-members and, once we have a better idea of our strategy I think this might come to fruition.

I will compile the list on my blog site at www.ntjurassiccoastin.co.uk and keep you all updated.

Ben

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Forgive me for being negative but not to you of course.

So a "head" of National Trust ( sounds well paid ) is asking US to tell HIM which National Trust properties will have us.

I'd be inclined to say "get your act together and YOU tell US where we are welcome to stay overnight and we will".

Thanks for your efforts Ben, a lot of good could come out of this.

3. JurassicCoastin

Hi Brian, sorry, perhaps I didn't explain that very well...

William is heading up the Outdoor Nation Campaign and has has said he will contact properties asking about facilities.

We have over 300 houses & gardens, 700 miles of coastline and many 'outdoors' properties. I'm sure you'll appreciate, in order for us to collate this information will take time and I felt that the experiences of the members on this forum make help us kick-start the list, allowing us to get the information as quickly as possible.

I would say we ARE getting our act together, we we're looking to encourage and welcome members & non-members who would like to visit us and I had hoped that the forum members here would be happy to share positive experiences on Trust Properties alongside our work too.

In my job, I work in Partnership with many organisations to try and get the best amount of useful information and we often ask people to assist us in information gathering. Without the help of the Motorhome community (who will hopefully benefit from this!) we would still get all the answers, it may just take a lot longer!

In such a large organisation as ours, we are constantly being asked for specific information from all sorts of user-groups (for want of a better phrase) and we'll always endeavour to find out the info but this has to run alongside our day-to-day work too...

I hope that clarifies the reasons I asked for some assistance from forum members

Ben

(Edit: I should also add - I joined the forum because I had a few questions about the motorhome I drive & a few people specifically asked about over-night parking. I didn't join to 'push' the Trust on anyone & I hope no-one feels that would be the case)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Ben thank you for the positive approach you are taking it is appreciated, don't think this counts but with the RSPB which we are members we have asked on their sites if we can stay, and each time been allowed stayed on a couple overnight with no problems, look forward to following the thread.

5. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

hi Ben. Jim the leader floated the idea last year that the fun could start to some how establish a series of Certified Locations. Could the NT maybe encouraged to licence some of there appropriate properties to be run by the Fun. We have a realy good record for doing thing right and having a very resposible membership. In these austeer times they may welcome the revenue that this could create. :thumb:

PK and Rosalie

6. frogijock

frogijock Funster

Hi Ben Altho I live in France I do manage to get myself, wife and van over to the UK on occassions and if we could park on NT land that would be great.
    Goodluck with your project in trying to get us parking

Bill :thumb:

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thanks guys.

Yes, We would be pleased to use our exemption to create 5 van certified locations on trust owned properties. I would be happy to chat to the trust or write to them about the prospect. Just give me a shout Ben. :thumb:

8. JurassicCoastin

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info!

Carol - I'll mention about the RSPB - we work closely with them (& many others) so might be able to get some useful info...

Jim - Thanks - I'll PM you as I think this may be a good way forward...

Thank you to everyone else who has contributed... I'll keep you updated.

Ben

9. sedge

sedge Funster

Well I for one think it's brilliant.

A lot of NT properties could do with more than a day but clearly they aren't just going to allow it everywhere - eg Studland.

As NT members, we look forward to hearing more.

We did comment to each other last year that there was one part of the garden at Anglesey Abbey that would make a totally brilliant rally field!!! LOL

10. JurassicCoastin

Thanks Sedge,

Yes, you're right, please don't anyone be under any illusion that suddenly everywhere will be 'fair-game'! Studland is a great example of where there are all sorts of external agencies / authorities who have a massive say over what we do and it's unlikely we could sort out anything there (but we shall see!!)

Ben

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you need to present to someone, or a board of someones, about the benefits of allowing parking at some NT sites, and the limited impact of modern self sufficient Motorhomes then I would be more than happy to help.

Thanks

12. JurassicCoastin

Thanks Jim - you have mail :Wink:

Ben

13. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

As a NT member I also think this would be brilliant, long standing RSPB member and wasn't aware some reserves if asked would allow overnighting? If anyone would like to pm me with details I'd be most obliged.

ATB

Stewart:Cool:

14. JurassicCoastin

Hi Stewart - it's amazing what you find out sometimes isn't it?!!

I imagine the RSPB have some sites similar to us, where it's not advertised but can be privately arranged on an ad-hoc basis.

Ben

15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I understand that but like many in here I worked in computers and the above is just a trivial scrap of data that would fit on a mobile phone today. Which means to me that the NT way behind in it's computer skills.

I have no doubt resources are tight and you do a grand job of your main task of keeping the sites going but we live in an internet world and if you want to get the best out of it you need the data. On here we are all used to going on the ACSI, CC C&CC sites and getting all the data we need, you have now identified a weakness in the NT that needs plugging to improve your revenues.

Aren't all NT units on an email system ? I would have thought a single email "do you allow overnight parking ?" could solve this problem in 24 hours.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism.

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

That might explain why, when I visited one of the NT's buildings last year, there was a VW campervan parked by itself in the overflow parking zone. I did wonder, but there were no signs and I assumed overnighting was banned.

I thought about mentioning this in my initial posting, but not being aware that NT sites allowed this, I decided not to in case it dropped somebody in it :Smile:

I suspect (but I hope I'm wrong) that everybody has assumed, like me, that overnighting was not allowed and not asked to stay.

17. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

One-man-(Neil) its always worth asking, I have asked in some very unlikly places and never been told no, but then Ed always says I am to cheeky for my own good.:Smile:

18. JurassicCoastin

Hi Brian,

I understand what you are saying, and if someone were tasked specifically with getting & collating this information this 'trivial srap of information' could reasonably quickly be gleaned.
    As I mentioned before, with over 300 built properties in our handbook, each with it's own unique facilities, restrictions due to building status etc I'm sure that virtually every email we receive back with be along the lines of "Yes, but..." or "No because..."

Personally, I would rather we spent the time asking the right question and getting the right answer and I certainly wouldn't be able to handle the 300 email replies to the question in less than 24 hours.

I'd say our IT infrstructure is very good but collating data about all of our properties does take time.

I hope you take that as a consturctive reply to your contructive criticism :Smile:

Ben

19. JurassicCoastin

Hi Niel,

Well hopefully we'll be able to clarify the situation a little and you'll be pleasantly suprised by the answers!

I'm sure there will be properties that will allow ad-hoc overnight parking but aren't terribly keen to have it publicised.

Always worth contacting a property directly and asking - the worst they can say is no!

20. JurassicCoastin

Totally agree Carol - what have you got to loose in asking?!, irrespective if it's an NT property or anywhere else.