Ovens (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
how to cook a FB pie with no oven...........a tip from two New Zealanders MHoming in Switzerland.

Remove lid and then very carefully remove pastry lid. Tip meat contents into saucepan and gently simmer. Put pie crust and lid under grill to cook.

Have never tried it but we're assured it worked really well.

So there you go!

Sacrilege!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
A pre-requisit of SWMBO for both the vans we have had is that it 'must' have an oven.
We've been motorhoming for just over 4 years and spend around 3 months a year in the van and probably only used the oven 4 or 5 times.
It's a great place to store things like the breadboard and some pots and pans though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
So my next question is.....would a lack of an oven affect the resale of a vehicle?
Full size cooker -just find it handy like at home --personally I find it useful for cooking or warming things up
Resale value ? some people like a oven others don't so if your van has one it may be beneficial /selling point-Cannot see it adding value but may be more attractive to more buyers -who ever buys can take it out if they feel they want a cupboard or hole :DI personally would like a oven in a van -Never heard of anyone refusing to buy a van because it has a oven but I have heard of people discounting vans that have not ;)
edit Must have for some buyers while others are not bothered
terry

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I agree entirely, no way to treat a sacred object. And I do not understand the term "meat content" when referring to a FB pie.

I call it enterprising when you have bought a variety of them and didn't realise you had no oven.....quite agree re Meat content!!!! :D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I call it enterprising when you have bought a variety of them and didn't realise you had no oven.....quite agree re Meat content!!!! :D
FB pies are not suitable for beginners. You need several years under supervision to be able handle them safely

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We wouldn't buy a van without an oven as we use it all the time. Most of our trips are several weeks or months at a time and all year round and we like to cook for ourselves.
Oven, Remoska and Raskelf topper the 3 must haves for us.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We have a oven/grill combination but never use it. Microwave for my porridge or veggies, Remoska used for a great variety of meals or 3 pan steamer.

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
I was going to start a thread called 'Why do Brits insist on a microwave? I mainly cook from scratch on the hob (love my porridge too), in the oven or use a (huge) slow cooker. Had a microwave in our first caravan in 2008 which was handy to heat up baby milk and food sometimes. Can't see your average motorhome owner doing that very often. :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just found a GAS powered slow cooker for those of us who are "freeloading tossers"
American and less than £30.. Worth a look for when we go away in Winter..

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I was going to start a thread called 'Why do Brits insist on a microwave? I mainly cook from scratch on the hob (love my porridge too), in the oven or use a (huge) slow cooker. Had a microwave in our first caravan in 2008 which was handy to heat up baby milk and food sometimes. Can't see your average motorhome owner doing that very often. :)

Don't like microwaves much myself. Expensive bit of kit to just reheat things in. Much prefer to cook on a normal hob!

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
How many of you ( excluding full timers) use the oven regularly? Do you think they are worth the weight and the space they take up?
Yes and yes. Cooked a full Christmas lunch in it (my first time), also warms the van ::bigsmile:.
Although, have not yet been able to use the van in the warm weather when cooking outside will definitely on the cards... Folk on here often mention the cadac and double skillet. Not sure which is best ? :unsure::unsure:

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I love our oven, although strongly we don't have a grill. Ours is used every trip. We have never cooked a full roast but generally it has done pizza, ready meals, part baked rolls, garlic bread, of course Fray Bentos pies, lasagne and cooked/melted cheese on to of oysters!!I would definitely want an oven if we bought another van!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Broken Link Removed
Why do Brits insist on a microwave?

I was going to start a thread

'Do manufacturers and motorhome designers ever use a motorhome?'
Because I can't believe anybody who has an ounce of sense placing a microwave in a unit above head height.
From a Health and Safety point ov view I think it's absolutely dangerous

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Hate microwaves, do have one in the van but its in the garage and that's where it'll stay, probably use it 3 times a year max, if payload was an issue it would be the first thing we'd throw in a skip.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
My answer to the need for ovens HERE on another thread and some of the results HERE too :D

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Fitted one in my Hymer as hardly use hook up , found useful all the time especialy on the ski trips, for baking fresh bread /rolls and warming van.(y).

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Our van came with a microwave, it was the first thing I removed and put in the loft..
We now use the space to keep our fruit bowl and "stuff"

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always use the oven. We also have the double skillet which is well used. If it's hot outside we have a cadac.. But the oven is a great asset.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
We use the oven quite a bit. Came in handy for Christmas dinner etc.
Also use a Remoska when on hookup(y)

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
JennyandMitch:
Gas powered slow cooker, sounds interesting. Do you have a link to this or more information please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back