Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was wondering if a good sized stainless steel deep pan would do the job, like a Dutch oven, and came across this method used in Nigeria, it could easily be done with any thick bottomed pan so would save having to have a 'special pan' just for this, and the basic method could be used to cook other foods too, not just cakes.

http://www.nigerianfoodtv.com/2015/03/how-to-bake-cake-without-oven-and-on.html

I've got a nice stainless steel steamer with a heavy bottom so I might give it a try with that myself! Another option I thought of is a pressure cooker - we already carry one in our camper so that too might double up as a 'oven' pan ... I shall have to experiment!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah ha ... from the above link I came across this one which tells you how to adapt a pressure cooker to bake with ... great ... I shall have to give it a try!

Although the lady uses an aluminium one there's no reason why a stainless steel one can't be used instead (as she explains later in the video)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Without wishing to hijack the thread, on a similar note anybody got a gas grill or grill ring combo they can recommend please.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Can't be useless David...you have a Hymer?

Glad I don't have one fitted in my gorgeous, almost perfect, fully winterized, no need to modify Hymer.. and wouldn't even contemplate fitting one.. waste of space and payload.. ;)

' If Hymer made ovens' .. they would 'probably' be the best ovens in the World .. :D

seriously.. had tons of vans and caravans with next to useless ovens..

good for storing pots and pans and little else ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Glad I don't have on in my gorgeous, almost perfect, fully winterized, no need to modify Hymer.. and wouldn't even contemplate fitting one.. waste of space and payload.. ;)

' If Hymer made ovens' .. they would 'probably' be the best ovens in the World .. :D

Agree we have a small oven( added at request of previous owner!) we use it as a cupboard and when I'm on holiday I like to eat like the continentals! ....BBQ or eat out !!@ scotjimlad hope alls well.(y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Mines a Thetford,don't use it very often,but when I do its roasts as good as the smev at home however if I was given the choice of oven or cupboard I would opt for cupboard as I use slow cooker or small halogen oven for almost all my cooking..Roy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Glad I don't have one fitted in my gorgeous, almost perfect, fully winterized, no need to modify Hymer.. and wouldn't even contemplate fitting one.. waste of space and payload.. ;)

And if hymer made ovens they would be the dearest in the world. Haha .ever heard the term"jerry built"" haha. Just saying. !

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
'jerry built' has nowt to do with being built in Germany.. http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/211600.html

but it's a term many Brit van owners will be familiar with .. sadly all too familiar ..

And it seems that many purchasers of the later built European motorhomes are suffering a degree of substandard workmanship as well as the odd poorly built homegrown vehicle based on materials sourced in Europe....

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Can any-one tell me if there are any makes of oven to avoid as I seem to remember some mrmbers saying some are not worth installing?.....Many thanks ..Martin

If you find one that's got "Hymer" label on it ,don't buy it as it will be a rebadged Dometic....at twice the price.. ..one now sits back and waits for the fury of the Hymerites to fall upon his shoulders ...ps love this forum and its members ..

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Think there is a link between aluminium cookware and alzheimer's :(

Crikey...need to avoid cooking in my alloy moho when the suns hot and high then :eek:.

Thanks for the info @jockaneezer, seem to remember hearing something about that.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
(y)(y) for the smev, Diane did full Christmas dinner last year in Portugal, turkey, stuffing, roast tates, parsnips, and since 2 full roast dinners plus loads of stew's casseroles

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a SMEV oven and grill and it is used frequently when we are away. The oven isn't perfect and cooks a little unevenly but once you have learned its foibles all is fine. For example, if doing a pizza, and we usually have a rectangular home-made one to share between us, you just have to turn it round half way through the cooking so it cooks evenly.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Interesting thread

We wanted maximum worktop space and cupboard space in our new van. Standard install is a four burner hob, grill and oven.

My wife said she never uses more than two burners on the hob in the van so we put in a two burner hob - hey presto - more worktop space.

Did away with the grill and oven and instead installed the new Dometic microwave oven and grill and gained three cupboards.

C

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back