Oven??? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Can any-one tell me if there are any makes of oven to avoid as I seem to remember some mrmbers saying some are not worth installing?.....Many thanks ..Martin

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
My Hymer has a Dometic Tec tower and the oven is the most useless of all other ovens.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our Dometic tec tower oven is good for cooking par baked bread and also good for pizza as it does get hot
One thing to consider is that not all versions include a grill - ours is oven only, which I suspect gives more room in the oven
It doesn't compare with a 'proper' one - but it's pretty reasonable
It's certainly better than the built under oven that we had in the old van - as the control knobs got red hot whenever the grill was used

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We opted not to have one in our new Exsis and bought a Remorska from Alza .co.uk. Haven't missed main oven at all and got an extra cupboard.

Last edited:

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
we have a Dometic tec tower and the oven is virtually useless (y)

@DavidG58 beat me to it. We also have the Dometic Tec Tower with oven incorporated and it's even worse than useless.
Stef.

Mmmm!... Mine is small ( oven/grill - that is!.. ) sat above freezer!.. but have used it in anger a few times... And it met my expectations - for it's size...

Whilst it may be shite for cooking a Turkey for 12... It cooks stuff for four adequately ... ( in a camping situ)... If one knows wot 1 means :)

Edit: oh and by the way ... I am a professional chef ... ! :pinocchio:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We opted not to have one in our new Exsis and bought a Remorska from Alza .co.uk. Haven't missed main oven at all and got an extra cupboard.

Prefer to have the added cupboard space, any day.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We don't have an oven in the present van, didn't have one in the last van and won't have one in the next. I rarely use the oven at home as I can use the slow cooker for almost anything I would do in the oven. Including bread!

(but not oven chips, although we don't eat them often. Chips are a treat and bought from the chippy!)

Last edited:

castor

Free Member
Jan 15, 2014
Reguiny France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria Artic T71.LP
Exp
  1. Hello all , OH insisted on an oven , two years on and we are changing our MH and lots of decisions on what equipment ,weight etc, decided we only used the over,grill to make toast !, Personally believe oven is not a necessity , prefer space weight allowance ,,but we do live and MH in France .Enjoy your time and eat out whenever possible.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The one in our Dethleffs is next to useless. It can manage oven chips and a pizza but anything else would be a waste of good food. Burns at the back and raw at the front, so unless you remember to keep turning the food round it's rubbish. Although it is branded Dethleffs I believe it is a Cramer. We use it as an extra cupboard, unless having pizza.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting comment from Robert, no grill could make a big difference, could also be his is much newer, you really would like to think Dometic would address such obvious issues

I would not expect to cook a Sunday dinner, but part baked bread in ours will burn one end and be uncooked the other, that is on top, put it on the lower level (that is the bottom of the oven in fairness) and it will come out exactly the same as it goes in after half an hour :)

we used to carry a ready meal, something like macaroni cheese or ravioli, to put in oven to reheat, now tip out into pan and heat on hob (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
we have a Dometic tec tower and the oven is virtually useless (y)
The one in our last van was totally useless, the new version in current van is better, but still useless.

Good decision.

It's better than nothing, as @Robert Clark says good for par-baked bread, also OK for ready meals providing you nearly double the cooking time. The grill is just a waste of space.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
For the life of me I cannot remember whether ours is a Thetford, or Dometic, but it is perfectly adequate. We have even roasted a Chicken in it!

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Can any-one tell me if there are any makes of oven to avoid as I seem to remember some mrmbers saying some are not worth installing?.....Many thanks ..Martin
No :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had ovens in our earlier vans (British built) and a later Rimor (top spec one hence the oven) but since then have only had Smev grills, or as with our current PVC none at all. The Smev grills are awful - they take ages to warm up to anything like a usable temperature then burn everything in sight if you blink! We used ours simply to keep the frying pans in! Unless you really, really want an oven I'd avoid them as they take up a lot of space and consume a fair bit of gas too.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have a Smev grill which is so useless that it is just used as a cupboard! The Remoska is versatile & effective as a replacement for an oven but do need to be on hook up. Still looking for a double skillet type pan to "bake" on gas but don't want food in contact with aluminium (use steel tin or rack in Remoska) so ideally tri-ply or stainless steel.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a Smev grill which is so useless that it is just used as a cupboard! The Remoska is versatile & effective as a replacement for an oven but do need to be on hook up. Still looking for a double skillet type pan to "bake" on gas but don't want food in contact with aluminium (use steel tin or rack in Remoska) so ideally tri-ply or stainless steel.
Alternative hob top oven:

$_12.JPG

Broken Link Removed

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks for the idea @Minxy Girl - have looked at the Omnia before but food in contact with aluminium so not for us :(

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Prob no help, But to save using our van oven, as we have to cater for several at race meetings we bought a £30.00 pound oven from Lidl to use in the awning thinking if it done one season it would save a lot of going in & out of the van, 3 seasons later its still going, Mrs D thinks its great & doesn't take up much space.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Am I missing something here? What's with the aluminium thing?

What ever the answer, if it's Teflon coated as with a Remoska, wheres the problem?

Just asking like.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Another thumbs down for the Dometic tec tower. Useless at cooking evenly and the infamous door hinges! Remoska much better IF you are on mains.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Slight sideways move as there seems to be a few ovens out there that are no good - as you asked for, may I make a plee for FITTING the Thetford Duplex if you are going down the oven fitting route. Had one in the folding camper and cooked all sorts in it and have one in the MH now and going great so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back