Tictac

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have no oven and a tiny gas grill at the moment - so small it never gets used, as with 5 or 6 of us it would take forever. Most of our cooking is done outside on the cadac, but it would be good to have another option for rainy days (says my husband, who does the cooking in the rain!) There's a big (53 cm wide, 46cm deep) counter space above the food cupboard where we plan to put something, the van is booked in for some work and they're happy to secure whatever we get.

Mostly we have ehu so planning electric rather than gas, had thought we'd get a combi microwave ,but I'm worried it might need too much power - have a trip to France planned with 10a hook up. So I've been looking at mini toaster ovens, but lots of reviews say they get really hot on the outside, which doesn't sound good.

Anyone got any advice? Is there a way to work out if a combi will trip the switch and upset the neighbours? Wondered about halogen oven / remoska but would miss toast...

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
We had a pathetic fitted gas grill which i removed and fitted a small electric oven/grill in its place.
Got it from Argos for about £20 but its small so not sure if it would be adequate for 5/6 people. Its also got space all around the back, sides, top and bottom so plenty of ventilation because they do get v/hot.
I seem to remember reading its the initial startup on a microwave the takes most power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A 10A hook-up will source around 2200W. A large domestic microwave will use up to 1500W. A combi microwave (fan convection oven + microwave) will use the same on microwave + same again on convection. On a restricted EHU you can still use one or t'other just not both at the same time. And in either case there'll still be enough left over to charge the battery / run lights / operate TV.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't forget a microwave will draw over 50% more power than it's rating on start up. The inverter type only take about 25% more but normally only get those in the bigger expensive ones.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
First question really is what do you want to cook? An oven and a microwave, whilst they can do some similar stuff, can also do stuff that the other can't.

I'd also be very wary of having anything attached to a worksurface, regardless of how well it is done, if it is later removed it will leave a mess which a new MH owner might not be happy with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tictac

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
FullSizeRender.jpg Hi, thanks for all the helpful replies. Hopefully here's a picture of the space - it's not worksurface as such, and already has deep scratches as though the previous owners had something heavy up there.
Thinking about what we want to cook, mainly oven things like baked potatoes, oven chips - would be nice to be able to throw in a premade pasta bake or cottage pie on the first night too. Oh, and toast! So I don't think the micowave function is that important at all, I'm just worried about getting a wee oven that gets burning hot on the outside - doesn't seem to be a thing people complain about with combis (or not that I've seen, maybe they get really hot too?)
Maybe it's better to have something that travels in the garage and just gets lifted out when we get there instead of being fixed on, that way if I make the wrong choice it's easier to change it for something else!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have a combi microwave at home and use that oven more than the standard oven - but there is usually only two of us. The oven isn't huge so you might struggle to cook enough for four or five people. The combi-oven could never replace the standard oven completely.

Just a thought but would a multi-cooker do everything you wanted?

OP
OP
T

Tictac

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hmm, don't know anything about multi-cookers, will need to have a look at them!
Are remoskas good? Would be nice to be able to bake bread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back