Outwell collapsible kettle

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Squeezy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Thought I ought to post a warning about this product after what happened to me last week. After boiling the kettle, I took it off the hob and lo and behold, the handle fell off. Fortunately, the kettle was over the sink at the time, so it fell away from me and into the sink - very lucky, otherwise I would have been badly scalded. When I got over the shock, I looked more closely at where the handle was attached to the kettle, to discover that it was simply spot welded in 2 places. It took me some time to discover an email address for Customer Services at Outwell (their website is very cagey), and having eventually found an address I wrote and described the problem. I am yet to receive a reply, having been promised one within 3 working days. I have been offered a refund by the shop where I bought it - they have been fine - but it's not the money I'm bothered about - it's the safety of the product. If you own one of these, you must make up your own mind, but I thought it only right to warn people to take care.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Thank you for alerting the forum.

Have you reported this to your local Trading Standards who can take the matter further for a potentially dangerous product.

KH

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Have to say I've always been suspicious about collapsible stuff, especially the kettle as I feared something like this could happen.

Glad you're OK though. Scalding is a nasty injury to suffer.

Denise

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

I agree with @Photo4x4 it should be reported to trading stds. You were lucky someone else might not be. Thanks for letting us know though. I have looked at these a few times but never bought, I won't be now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

I hadn't though about contacting Trading Standards - thank you for the suggestion. I will look into that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I must admit I've looked at collapsible kettles, of various types, and they do vary a lot in quality, but I can't see why you'd really need one in a normal motorhome/camper unless storage space is really, really tight - for tent camping etc maybe.

I've stuck with standard type 'rigid' kettles with a folding handles - my current one has a removable lid and 'flip up' whistle on the spout - nice stainless steel which didn't cost much at all - certainly nothing like the cost of a collapsible one! You do, however, also need to be careful if buying a 'rigid' kettle as some of the handles are very loosely secured - in fact a previous one I had did come adrift which I fixed so it couldn't do it again but this is one piece of kitchen equipment in my MH I will not compromise on ... if it 'fails' when it has boiling water in it, the consequences can be horrific.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Squeezy

Squeezy Funster

Nice to know that Outwell are so concerned about their customers' safety. Here is the reply I received from Customer Services:

We are sorry for the late reply, but we have now looked deeper into the case. We have had 5 complaints on this product, which is not many. Unfortunately you have purchased one of those and we therefore recommend that you contact your dealer and get a new one.

I have told them I wouldn't dream of getting a new one. They simply don't seem to understand that this kettle is a serious accident waiting to happen. Trading Standards here we come.

• Like Like x 5
  8. reckless

reckless Funster

I think that's a standard response and they haven't even considered what type of product it is and the safety risk.

Definitely one for trading standards. Let us know what happens.

9. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I want to steal @cruiser 's camping kettle. It is allegedly even older than he is. Best designed camping kettle I've ever seen, with a stainless heat absorbing coil around the bottom edge to catch the heat from the flame as it spills over the edge.

10. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I've got one, now considering throwing away :-(
    @Leltel

11. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I have the outwell kettle and it has performed really well...do miss the whistle though:rolleyes:. We use this style as it fits in the washing up bucket - collapsable again for space saving, and it save routing through the cupboards when we have a quick stop for a cuppa. I shall of course now be keeping and eye on the handle welds.(y)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I remember those, my Mum used to have one when I was a kid! :D

13. airwave

airwave Funster

Jeeze , that was so lucky , glad you didn't get injured .

Yep i've looked at these myself , but i had doubts with this product too , yet not with the handle , i must add . More the flexible bit with a naked flame . It would be handy when i'm make tea for the guy's , could be upto 8 of em , i got another metal 1.5 ltr in the end . The fact it was an outwell i was also looking at , mean's i won't bother . Firmly off the shopping list . Thank's for the head's up .

14. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We have used one for over a year with no faults. Alan also has one in his van. I used a descaler on it and then it began to leak. Bought him another when Halfords were selling them for £5.

15. Baycott

Baycott Funster

We also bought one from Halfords at £5.00 (thanks @irnbru ). Have used it quite a lot but will keep our eye on the handle fixings.

16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Hell fire that's a bit dramatic isn't it? :D:D:D:D

(Sorry;))