Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all,

We are not hybernating the MH over the winter as we are continuing to use it once every 2 or 3 weeks (once a month at the least).

I drain all the water tanks and heater and leave the inside doors open, but have 2 questions;

1) I have Silverscreens, is it worth putting these on all the time to avoid condenstation building when frost melts.

2) I always leave the MH on hookup when parked up outside, is it a good idea to just leave the charger constantly powered on. I guess it can't burn out or damage the battery as it's regulated?

Thanks all! :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Craig
Sound ok to me screen on, on hook up, perhaps a small oil filed heater to keep the chill off, also run the engine from time to time. Pete :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Q2 ) depends on your charger.

if its a bog standard fixed rate charger it may slightly overcharge the battery over time so frequent checking and topping up of water will be needed.

an intelligent 'multi' stage charger will revert to trickle charge once fully charged and can be left connected indefinitely.

I guess if you use the van every month or so I would recharge for a couple of hours each week and turn off the charger in-between charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
We use our van through the winter even if it is just the odd night out wilding some where close but when it is parked as you have said tanks empty / plugged into mains / screens up and a small oil filled heater to take the chill off the van;
As the van is parked next to the house it is turned on overnight a couple of times a week, but if we do not use it for a week or two it is used to go shopping or just for a short run.

Rob

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our van is kept on the drive.

All water drained (including flush tank) and taps opened.
Cushions lifted and cupboards opened to allow air circulation.
Never bother using silver screens.
Run the charger every couple of weeks, depending on how often we can manage to use the van.
Used to use an oil filled radiator but didn't bother last year and had no problems even when we had that solid 6 weeks of snow and lowest temperatures for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back