Outdoor Revolution Cayman Driveaway awning

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Ambilkate, May 27, 2014.

1. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Hi Funsters, my sister in law is thinking of buying the outdoor revolution cayman drive away awning she has a td4 vw. Any funsters got one of these can they tell us what they like or dislike any info much appreciated .:Smile:
    regards Kate x

2. Glyn and Debbie

Glyn and Debbie Funster

Hi we have the movelite classic xl which we have used twice, we have it for sale at £75 it is in excellent condition and was over £200 new.

3. Ambilkate

Hi Glyn and Debbie, that is a bargain but my sister in law got a td5 vw not a td4 as stated in post above. The xl might be to high for it but i will mention it to her. Thanks

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ambilkate

Hi Pete, already on it phoned John Cross today at 4.50pm waiting for a call back from Ed tommorow. We think its got to be the standard height. We need to see if it can be strapped over van as opposed to sliding in rail as there is no rail. Just wondered if the xl would help with it being thrown over the van??
    regards Kate

6. Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou Read Only Funster

We have the Movelite Cayman XLF. Only put it up once to see how everything went. Fitted it by Kador and fig8 to Fiamma awning. slight breaze and it pulled the awning out 6 inch on one side so then fixed it to the roof bars. Much safer.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  7. Jim et Lou

Jim et Lou Read Only Funster

Be aware that the Cayman range only come with guy lines and not straps,also they do not supply the guy lines to go over the van.:thumb:

8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

There's not a lot height wise between the t4 and t5 anyway, so you really need the ones which are meant for lower vehicles, from experience buying one that has a tunnel meant for a higher vehicle means it flaps around and also allows rain to puddle in the excess material ... not ideal.

The other thing to consider is the rear width at the back of the awning where it sits against the van so that the sliding door can be fully opened - a lot of the smaller type awnings ones don't allow for this and you then run the risk of the top of the open door tearing the awning tunnel. Looking at the images below you really need something a with a tunnel a minimum of 2.4m wide - note that the width measurements on awnings are the base measurement and therefore the top, being tapered in, is usually quite a bit smaller. I'd therefore suggest a 3m wide one to make sure it fits okay.

Attached Files:

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I've just found this on Ebay where someone has a VW and bought the Movelite Classic XL and you can see the size of it and the excess material of the tunnel, however if your SIL is able she could sew some straps on the tunnel so it can be gathered at the sides to remove the excess material from the top to make it taut which would probably solve the puddling problem. I've noticed that quite a few awnings now have these side straps within the tunnel for this purpose.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Movelite-...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27e468d29d

I've just found this which may be more suitable?

http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/eas...=4652459f07c575b8850ae506795c6fd1&fo_s=gplauk

The best bet is to have a good shuftie at awnings, both new and second hand (Ebay has good images) and then she can decide exactly which one will suit. If she isn't sure then I'd suggest she gets a second hand one of the type she wants and see if it is right for her, if it is then great, if not then she hasn't laid out a load of money and would more than likely get it back if she sold it.